Need help - Newbie-est of the Newbie's

Post by Brad » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

Starting this learning experience literally from scratch.Will learn about
Unix and FreeBSD with all the documentation offered, but need to some
assistance initially before I can even get to that point.

The intended box that I plan on installing FreeBSD on is completely stripped
to the bone: Pentium 1, 2 gig HD, CD-ROM and Floppy, network card. HD is not
even formatted.

Here are the questions:

    - Does the HD need to be formatted? If so, in what format (FAT)?
    - What needs to be done with the other peripherals before installation
(I know I can't install it if there is no accessory configured to do so)?
    - Can the Free-BSD files be downloaded from a Windows box, then
installed onto the new box?
        If so, can it be done with the floppy drive (I know they fit on a
floppy perfectly in bin, but can they be transfered in such a way)?
        If not, what would you recommend for installation?
    - Lastly, once installed, where is the source code located once FreeBSD
is installed (is it in a certain directory, one big file or multiple), or
does it need to be downloaded separately? Is a development kit required for
access to manage/change?

From reading the "Newbie" Scetion on the web page, this newsgroup seems to
be where these kind of questions can be answered well. All assistance is
greatly appreciated. In advance, thanks for all the help.

Brad

Post by tex » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

> Starting this learning experience literally from scratch.Will learn about
> Unix and FreeBSD with all the documentation offered, but need to some
> assistance initially before I can even get to that point.

> The intended box that I plan on installing FreeBSD on is completely stripped
> to the bone: Pentium 1, 2 gig HD, CD-ROM and Floppy, network card. HD is not
> even formatted.

> Here are the questions:

>     - Does the HD need to be formatted? If so, in what format (FAT)?

Not needed with a fresh install, the installer will format it for you.

Quote:>     - What needs to be done with the other peripherals before installation
> (I know I can't install it if there is no accessory configured to do so)?

Hmm, nothing :)

Quote:>     - Can the Free-BSD files be downloaded from a Windows box, then
> installed onto the new box?

Yeah, I downloaded the ISO then burned it onto a cd and installed from that
cd. You can also buy the FreeBSD cd-rom almost everywhere, check Walnut Creek
at http://www.cdrom.com for more info.

Quote:>         If so, can it be done with the floppy drive (I know they fit on a
> floppy perfectly in bin, but can they be transfered in such a way)?

Yes, but you'll need a phat pipe to the internet to install the rest of the
files.

Quote:>         If not, what would you recommend for installation?

I would recommand burning the ISO or buying the FreeBSD cd-rom somewhere. You
get loads of extra stuff with it and saves ya from downloading for hours from
the net :)

Quote:>     - Lastly, once installed, where is the source code located once FreeBSD
> is installed (is it in a certain directory, one big file or multiple), or
> does it need to be downloaded separately? Is a development kit required for
> access to manage/change?

Dunno exactly :P Check the handbook pages for more info on the kernel/source.

-tex

1. Newbie, Need help, linux doesn't/won't talk to modem

I am using linux 1.2.3 and I have it set to /dev/cua1 for linux, comm2 on
Win95, but it never talks to the modem, I have tried minicom, & chat to
dial the modem, neither of which work. I know that they don't dail the
modem because the phone by the computer, same line, doesn't even have it
dialing. Please help, and thanks in advanced.

Vance Glasscock

2. 'incvers' error when running 'make'

3. Newbie newbie newbie

4. DT2851 frame grabber under Linux ?

5. Newbie, Newbie, Newbie... Please be patient with me

6. extra form feed after my documents

7. newbie needs help: can't play audio-cds due to no permission to /dev/rmatcd0c

8. Portable Netware compared to Native Netware

9. I'm a NEWBIE and need HELP!!

10. i'm newbie, need help

11. Newbie needs help, corel doesn't install...

12. Newbie Help: Need FAQ's, Dist Site Info, Other Questions.

13. Hi, i'm a newbie and I need help concerning the setup of Linux (slackware)