Can't install 2.1.5 over NFS

Post by Roger Buttien » Wed, 13 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

When I do an installation of FreeBSD 2.1.5 over NFS (CD #1 mounted on
Digital Unix V3.2C) my (custom) installation always produces an error
when I do the commit .

The error message suggests an NFS problem, but when I do the commit a
second time it goes through , it installs everything, but the thing
won't boot after all.  It keeps on displaying (loop) :

          F1 . . .  BSD
          Default : F1

I think it is because the first commit doesn't copy a mandatory piece.
But I can't find a way around it.  Any idea ?

Some more detail :

the error message says that it can't mount    <hostname>:/mnt  on /dist.
(/mnt  and    /mnt/dists are exported, though !)

Thanks

/Roger.

Can't install 2.1.5 over NFS

Post by Jordan K. Hubbar » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> The error message suggests an NFS problem, but when I do the commit a
> second time it goes through , it installs everything, but the thing
> won't boot after all.  It keeps on displaying (loop) :

>           F1 . . .  BSD
>           Default : F1

Please read HARDWARE.TXT - this is covered in the troubleshooting
section.

I don't know what your NFS problem is, but it could be anything - I'd
verify all your mount permissions again.
--
- Jordan Hubbard
  President, FreeBSD Project