Buying To Benefit FreeBSD

Post by Warren Blo » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 12:51:12

With the bright idea of maybe giving out a couple of FreeBSD books for
gifts, it occurred to me that buying stuff from Wind River probably
wouldn't help in supporting the ongoing development of FreeBSD.  Is
daemonnews.org a better place to buy?  Someplace else?

Buying To Benefit FreeBSD

Post by Philip Paep » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 15:34:29

> With the bright idea of maybe giving out a couple of FreeBSD books for
> gifts, it occurred to me that buying stuff from Wind River probably
> wouldn't help in supporting the ongoing development of FreeBSD.  Is
> daemonnews.org a better place to buy?  Someplace else?

I believe daemonnews claims that their profits -- or at least some of them --
go towards supporting the *BSD community ...  That would include the FreeBSD
project.  I agree with you in that buying from Windriver probably won't do the
FreeBSD project any good ... won't do it any harm either though.

 - Philip

--

  If you buy bananas or avocados before they are ripe,
  there won't be any left by the time they are ripe.  If

Buying To Benefit FreeBSD

Post by me » Sun, 25 Nov 2001 15:07:58

Screw windriver I say! They never cared about FreeBSD, just the money and
nothing else!

Hell, they promoted BSD/OS over FreeBSD, yet that's nit very widely
implemented as much as FreeBSD/OpenBSD and even NetBSD.

Any recall that Japanese or Chinese compan[y]/[ies] that donated
$5,000,000.00 twice? Well, that didn't do anywhere else than Windriver
afterwards.. BSDi was much better than Windriver. I just hope Daemonnews
takes over where BSDi left atleast.

> > With the bright idea of maybe giving out a couple of FreeBSD books for
> > gifts, it occurred to me that buying stuff from Wind River probably
> > wouldn't help in supporting the ongoing development of FreeBSD.  Is
> > daemonnews.org a better place to buy?  Someplace else?

> I believe daemonnews claims that their profits -- or at least some of
them --
> go towards supporting the *BSD community ...  That would include the
FreeBSD
> project.  I agree with you in that buying from Windriver probably won't do
the
> FreeBSD project any good ... won't do it any harm either though.

>  - Philip

> --
> Philip Paeps

Quote: