Help with Boot Process

Post by Eileen Soon » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I'm an undergraduate in Computer Science currently doing a research
project for an advanced OS course I'm taking.  My topic is to do a
comparative study of the boot process of FreeBSD and Linux.  I need to
find out how processes are started and what are started at boot time.

From what I understand, Linux uses System V Init as its standard and the
the "init" program is the one that start up processes at boot
time and respawn processes when they die.  The behaviour of "init" is
based on /etc/inittab.  Also, Linux uses the runlevels (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,s)
to implement different modes and states (eg. single user, multiuser mode
without NFS, full multiuser mode, etc).

However, I have not been successful in find the FreeBSD counterparts of:

- System V Init
- /etc/inittab  (control file for "init")
- runlevel mechanism

Please help me out or point me to some sources of information.  I really
appreciate any assistance you may provide. Thanks in advance.

Eileen Soong

               \\|//
__o00o_{._,}_o00o________________________________________________
|_|_| Eileen Y.L Soong _|_| University of British Columbia _|_|_|
|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|     Computer Science       __|__|__|
|_|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__ Year 4   __|__|__|__|__|_|
?=========   http://www.ugrad.cs.ubc.ca/spider/d2j1/  ==========?

Help with Boot Process

Post by Lila Marie Patt » Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:00:00

: Please help me out or point me to some sources of information.  I really
: appreciate any assistance you may provide. Thanks in advance.

the best way is to find a freebsd box and look at the system files
for yourself.  otherwise, faqs are always a good place to start:
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ.html.  or read the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/.  these documents have plenty of
references to other resources.

1. Help with Boot Processes

I'm very green in the way of Unix admin, and am completely confused by
the boot process on my Sun Spacstation 5 running Solaris 2.5.1. There
are a number of little tweaks I've made while the machine has been up
and running that I'd like to include in the boot process so that each
time the machine goes down and comes back up, those parameter changes
will be restored.

Can someone help me with understanding the boot process and tell me
where I need to make modifications to include these additions?

Thanks!

2. Getting a truly "raw" ksh read command

3. Newbie needs help with boot process

4. DNS Troubles

5. Uanble to boot with LINUX boot disk - new user - help help help, PLEASE !!

6. CR-LF vs. LF

7. CSO/PH Server code, Where?

8. lilo failing to boot initrd, boot process drops to init prompt

9. Booting process hangs !!! Please help

10. Slakware: Help with first boot/installation process.

11. Boot-up Processes - Help

12. Booting process halts !! Please help