NAT & MSN Messenger

Post by James Poo » Sun, 18 Aug 2002 15:58:09

MSN, AIM, and ICQ don't like file transfers through NAT.  It tries to
address the machine by IP, so it is actualy trying to connect to the router
instead.  You can add a NAT port forwarding line into your router (or natd)
for connection with one machine and it will work.  I've done it with a
Cayman and a NetOpia router w/o a problem.
port 6891 for MSN
port 5190 for AIM and ICQ

Quote:> Hi all,

> I am wondering if it is at all possible to have my msn messenger working
> its fullest through my FreeBSD 4.6 box which is running NAT.  I want to
get
> things like video/audio chatting and sending files running again and have
> heard some people say it cant be done and others say it can.

> If it cant, why not ??  If it can, how ??

> Please also keep in mind that I am relativly new to FreeBSD (4 weeks) and
am
> so far enjoying it immensely, so vauge references probably wont be much
help
> to me

> TIA

> Matt.

NAT & MSN Messenger

Post by Mushroomz » Mon, 19 Aug 2002 18:03:18

| port 6891 for MSN

gateway#sh ip nat translations | include 192.168.0.10
tcp 151.37.61.251:1062    192.168.0.10:1062     193.70.192.192:119
193.70.192.192:119
tcp 151.37.61.251:1072    192.168.0.10:1072     193.70.192.192:119
193.70.192.192:119
tcp 151.37.61.251:1098    192.168.0.10:1098     193.70.192.192:119
193.70.192.192:119
tcp 151.37.61.251:1082    192.168.0.10:1082     64.4.12.62:1863
64.4.12.62:1863

MSN is 1863/TCP
regardZ

--
---
MushroomzZ, formerly Francesco Cicala

"It is already Wednesday and I'm not yet"

NAT & MSN Messenger

Post by Leon Da » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:42:18

> Hi all,

> I am wondering if it is at all possible to have my msn messenger working to
> its fullest through my FreeBSD 4.6 box which is running NAT.  I want to get
> things like video/audio chatting and sending files running again and have
> heard some people say it cant be done and others say it can.

> If it cant, why not ??  If it can, how ??

> Please also keep in mind that I am relativly new to FreeBSD (4 weeks) and am
> so far enjoying it immensely, so vauge references probably wont be much help
> to me

> TIA

> Matt.

No, MSN Messenger will not work to "its fullest" through a FreeBSD
firewall/gateway. The reason being Messenger doesn't take advantage of
non-MS proxies well. Only normal chatting works through NAT, all other
features no-luck.

MSN Messenger makes use of Microsoft's uPNP to do proxying so that
Video and Audio comms work. But even uPNP won't allow file transfers
which is pathetic. Currently, only a number of modems/routers support
uPNP and there is a Linux implementation of uPNP, but that hasn't been
ported to FreeBSD yet.

I have tried to use file transfer over Socks5 proxy, but without luck
also, so I come to the conclusion that this feature only works through
a direct connection.

If you are wanting to do video/voice comms behind NAT, then I
recommend using EyeBall Chat. If you want voice only and have setup
Socks5, then ICQ also works (plus you'll be able to use file transfer
directly across ICQ with Socks5 proxy). If you can setup a VPN, you
have a wider choice - such as CuSeeMe and NetMeeting. I think
Microsoft is planning to add direct IP access for MSN Messenger in the
future so that it works within a local LAN/VPN. I currently run a VPN
connection (with mpd for PPTP) to do voice/video/file transfer with a
remote node. I also sometimes use EyeBall to do voice/video when my
net connection seems a little bogged up (ie, the FreeBSD gateway I
have only runs on a P200, and the VPN uses 128bit encryption and
compression - so that bogs it down a little when my family use the net
connection also).

Hope this info helps you.

Leon

NAT & MSN Messenger

Post by Mike » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 07:21:14

Hmm,

I saw several replies to Matts question, some said you can, some said you
cannot.

Like Matt, I am a newcomer to FreeBSD and, for some sad reason, I would like
to get MSN messenger working through the nat system.  My gut insticts tell
me it can be done - it works through my old VIGOR2200 USB router that I used
when I was on BTOpenWord.

So far I have tried -redirect-port tcp a.b.c.d:6891-6900, but with no
sucess.  I thought that would be too easy!

Anyone out there got a definative answer please.

Thanks in anticipation,

Mike

1. IPTables/NAT & MSN Messenger Voice

Hi all,

My WinXP clients are connected to a redhat 7.2 gateway, wich is connected to
the internet through ADSL.
On that gateway i'm using IPTables /NAT and DHCP for my clients.
Now i have the following problem:
When my WinXP Clients use MSN messenger, they are able to chat, but
can't take advantage of the other features of MSN, such as a Voice
conversation.
Maybe there are some mods which i can use to support this. I know that MSN
messenger makes the voice connection between clients through hotmail, and
the ports will be dynamic.

Can anyone help me out here ??

I already checked the conntrack mods, but i can't find anything about MSN
messenger.

2. problems with 17Gb disk

3. NAT & MSN Messenger

4. Timex command on Linux?

5. MSN messenger behind Firewall+NAT

6. Font Editor?

7. FreeBSD, NAT and MSN Messenger/IRC?

8. No-Win Modem Situation

9. NAT and MSN Messenger file transfer

10. MSN Messenger & ipchains

11. Ipchains: MSN & AOL Messenger Port#s?

12. MSN Messenger & an ipchains FW

13. ipchains & MSN Messenger 3.6 VOICE