Want X applications, but not an X server

Want X applications, but not an X server

Post by Nick Hillia » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: This all started when I tried to get the NetPBM stuff, but
: couldn't compile them due to some of the X stuff being missing
: (OK, it's only xmkmf, but it leads me on to...)

: I don't want to run an X server, so I don't want any of the
: server stuff, but I want to compile and run X applications.

You'll need the X runtime and link libraries, header files, programs and lib
directory.  In fact, pretty much everything except for the fonts, the X
source code and the server program itself.

Nick

Post by Justin Murdo » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

This all started when I tried to get the NetPBM stuff, but
couldn't compile them due to some of the X stuff being missing
(OK, it's only xmkmf, but it leads me on to...)

I don't want to run an X server, so I don't want any of the
server stuff, but I want to compile and run X applications.

Soooo, what do I need.

thanks,
Justin.
--
~ o  - Attention Netscape Users: this sig is to be viewed in italic courier
 |   - in black on a dark seashell background (#BAB1AA) and in a window not
\_/  - less than 77 letters wide ADJUST YOUR BROWSER NOW. Thank you, Justin

Post by Jordan K. Hubbar » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I don't want to run an X server, so I don't want any of the
> server stuff, but I want to compile and run X applications.

> Soooo, what do I need.

You need the programmer's headers and libraries (they were listed as an
available distribution during the installation).  Run /stand/sysinstall
again, select Custom->Distributions->Custom->X
binaries->Back->Back->Extract.

--
  Jordan Hubbard
  President, FreeBSD Project

1. Advice wanted - Linux server sharing windows applications?

Hi Roy,

You might like to take a look at SAMBA.  This is capable of providing
"virtual" drives to the PC's, allowing applications to be executed from them.
It is a handy trip to perform when you run out of disk space on all your
machines except your Linux server :)

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+______________________________+____________________________________________+

|   Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
|   PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
|   School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
|   MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
|   Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |
+------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

2. Solaris NewBie

3. WANTED: UnixWare Application Server 2.01

4. dedicated drive

5. How to share one IP address with two servers (application server and web server)?

6. SUNOS-NIS-CLIENT

7. Does ANY Company Make An Application Server That Will Not Cost a Fortune To Deploy?

8. Demonizing Red Hat (was: CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux)

9. WANTED: simple caching proxy (not a whole server)

10. Oracle Application Server vs. other Web Server Products

11. XDM Application Server keeps killing my X client's X Server

12. New C++/Unix based Application Server + Weblet/Weblet Server Pages + Data Streaming and Push

13. Linux application programmers wanted