Nvidia binary driver issue

Post by Devo » Thu, 29 May 2003 05:19:37

Hey all, I have an nVidia Geforce 420MX card (PCI) that I'm trying to
get to work under FreeBSD 4.8-Stable from May 22nd.  I'm using nVidia's
binary drivers from the ports, which happens to be the newest version.
I'm seeing the following error message:

nvidia0: <GeForce4 MX 420> irq 0 at device 16.0 on pci0
nvidia0: Unable to allocate NVIDIA register resource.
device_probe_and_attach: nvidia0 attach returned 6

Now, I've been a good user and have read the documentation which
mentions that should one observe such an error you simply need to
disable plug & play OS in your BIOS.  The problem is, this option is
already unchecked in my bios (I've also tried enabling it in the off
chance that I misunderstood the README).  The motherboard is an Intel
RC440BX if that makes a difference.  Suggestions?

--
Devon Ryan

Nvidia binary driver issue

Post by Adam K Kirchhof » Thu, 29 May 2003 06:23:00

> Hey all, I have an nVidia Geforce 420MX card (PCI) that I'm trying to
> get to work under FreeBSD 4.8-Stable from May 22nd.  I'm using nVidia's
> binary drivers from the ports, which happens to be the newest version.
> I'm seeing the following error message:

> nvidia0: <GeForce4 MX 420> irq 0 at device 16.0 on pci0
> nvidia0: Unable to allocate NVIDIA register resource.
> device_probe_and_attach: nvidia0 attach returned 6

> Now, I've been a good user and have read the documentation which
> mentions that should one observe such an error you simply need to
> disable plug & play OS in your BIOS.  The problem is, this option is
> already unchecked in my bios (I've also tried enabling it in the off
> chance that I misunderstood the README).  The motherboard is an Intel
> RC440BX if that makes a difference.  Suggestions?

Double check your BIOS for a setting such as:

"Enable IRQ for VGA"

Make sure you have that selected.

Adam

Nvidia binary driver issue

Post by Devon Rya » Thu, 29 May 2003 14:32:27

>>Hey all, I have an nVidia Geforce 420MX card (PCI) that I'm trying to
>>get to work under FreeBSD 4.8-Stable from May 22nd.  I'm using nVidia's
>>binary drivers from the ports, which happens to be the newest version.
>>I'm seeing the following error message:

>>nvidia0: <GeForce4 MX 420> irq 0 at device 16.0 on pci0
>>nvidia0: Unable to allocate NVIDIA register resource.
>>device_probe_and_attach: nvidia0 attach returned 6

>>Now, I've been a good user and have read the documentation which
>>mentions that should one observe such an error you simply need to
>>disable plug & play OS in your BIOS.  The problem is, this option is
>>already unchecked in my bios (I've also tried enabling it in the off
>>chance that I misunderstood the README).  The motherboard is an Intel
>>RC440BX if that makes a difference.  Suggestions?

> Double check your BIOS for a setting such as:

> "Enable IRQ for VGA"

> Make sure you have that selected.

> Adam

It actually happened to be some weirdness in my bios that I had to
correct (followed by an IRQ conflict that is now resolved).  So now the
card works...but the driver is freezing the system (the vertical lines
problem) when I startx.  This work fine if I use the nv driver...but
this is not optimal.  Since this is a PCI card, what should I set NvAgp
to and does anybody know if loading the agp kernel module is still
required (I think I've tied every iteration on loading/unloading agp
with each NvAgp option).  X freezing the system is kind of annoying.

Thanks much

Devon

Nvidia binary driver issue

Post by Aaron Baughe » Thu, 29 May 2003 20:58:11

> It actually happened to be some weirdness in my bios that I had to
> correct (followed by an IRQ conflict that is now resolved).  So now
> the card works...but the driver is freezing the system (the vertical
> lines problem) when I startx.  This work fine if I use the nv
> driver...but this is not optimal.  Since this is a PCI card, what
> should I set NvAgp to and does anybody know if loading the agp
> kernel module is still required (I think I've tied every iteration
> on loading/unloading agp with each NvAgp option).  X freezing the
> system is kind of annoying.

Mine's integrated into the MB, but it sounds like the same problem.
I don't load AGP; my /boot/loader.conf just has:

nvidia_load="YES"

Installing the driver from the port didn't work for me.  I had to
download the driver (NVIDIA_FreeBSD-1.0-3203.tar.gz at the time) and
install it manually, following the instructions that came with it.  I
don't remember the details, but if you search this group for my
address and NVIDIA, you should find my posts explaining how it went.

--
Aaron

Nvidia binary driver issue

Post by Jason Bourn » Fri, 30 May 2003 21:12:22

[snip]

Quote:

> It actually happened to be some weirdness in my bios that I had to
> correct (followed by an IRQ conflict that is now resolved).  So now the
> card works...but the driver is freezing the system (the vertical lines
> problem) when I startx.  This work fine if I use the nv driver...but
> this is not optimal.  Since this is a PCI card, what should I set NvAgp
> to and does anybody know if loading the agp kernel module is still
> required (I think I've tied every iteration on loading/unloading agp
> with each NvAgp option).  X freezing the system is kind of annoying.

> Thanks much

> Devon

Greetings:

        In the /etc/X11/XF86Config file Section "Device" right under
Driver "nvidia" I have the line:     Option     "NvAgp" "0"

This works for my old PCI TNT2 card. I also load the nvidia module in
/boot/loader.conf at boot.

-Jason

Nvidia binary driver issue

Post by Devo » Sat, 31 May 2003 06:10:34

>>It actually happened to be some weirdness in my bios that I had to
>>correct (followed by an IRQ conflict that is now resolved).  So now
>>the card works...but the driver is freezing the system (the vertical
>>lines problem) when I startx.  This work fine if I use the nv
>>driver...but this is not optimal.  Since this is a PCI card, what
>>should I set NvAgp to and does anybody know if loading the agp
>>kernel module is still required (I think I've tied every iteration
>>on loading/unloading agp with each NvAgp option).  X freezing the
>>system is kind of annoying.

> Mine's integrated into the MB, but it sounds like the same problem.
> I don't load AGP; my /boot/loader.conf just has:

> nvidia_load="YES"

> Installing the driver from the port didn't work for me.  I had to
> download the driver (NVIDIA_FreeBSD-1.0-3203.tar.gz at the time) and
> install it manually, following the instructions that came with it.  I
> don't remember the details, but if you search this group for my
> address and NVIDIA, you should find my posts explaining how it went.

Hmmm, I removed the port and installed manually but that didn't seem to
change anything.  I'll try Jason's suggestion when I get home later,
hopefully it will work.

--
Devon

Nvidia binary driver issue

Post by Devon Rya » Sat, 31 May 2003 07:39:21

> [snip]

>>It actually happened to be some weirdness in my bios that I had to
>>correct (followed by an IRQ conflict that is now resolved).  So now the
>>card works...but the driver is freezing the system (the vertical lines
>>problem) when I startx.  This work fine if I use the nv driver...but
>>this is not optimal.  Since this is a PCI card, what should I set NvAgp
>>to and does anybody know if loading the agp kernel module is still
>>required (I think I've tied every iteration on loading/unloading agp
>>with each NvAgp option).  X freezing the system is kind of annoying.

>>Thanks much

>>Devon

> Greetings:

>         In the /etc/X11/XF86Config file Section "Device" right under
> Driver "nvidia" I have the line:     Option     "NvAgp" "0"

> This works for my old PCI TNT2 card. I also load the nvidia module in
> /boot/loader.conf at boot.

Hmmm, that's a no go.  I still get all vertical lines.  The last thing
in my XFree86.0.log is:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1280x1024"

I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but sysctl seems
to have issues getting the bios version of the card:
$ sysctl -a hw.nvidia
hw.nvidia.version: NVIDIA FreeBSD x86 nvidia.ko Kernel Module  1.0-3203
  Wed Oct 30 06:06:58 PST 2002
hw.nvidia.registry.EnableAGPSBA: 0
hw.nvidia.registry.EnableAGPFW: 0
hw.nvidia.registry.SoftEDIDs: 1
hw.nvidia.registry.Mobile: 4294967295
hw.nvidia.cards.0.model: GeForce4 MX 420
hw.nvidia.cards.0.irq: 10
hw.nvidia.cards.0.vbios: ??.??.??.??.??
hw.nvidia.cards.0.type: PCI

Any other suggestions?

--
Devon

Nvidia binary driver issue

Post by Dari » Sat, 31 May 2003 13:56:02

On Thu, 29 May 2003 17:39:21 -0500, Devon Ryan

>> [snip]

>Any other suggestions?

http://*wizard.ath.cx/faq.html

I had a similar problem, and so have others.  That link has some
information  on it.   The fix for me was a motherboard with a
different chipset.  I did not have a MB with the same chipset as yours
though.  Maybe you'll be luckier

D.

Nvidia binary driver issue

Post by Devo » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 01:38:21

> On Thu, 29 May 2003 17:39:21 -0500, Devon Ryan

>>Any other suggestions?

> http://*wizard.ath.cx/faq.html

> I had a similar problem, and so have others.  That link has some
> information  on it.   The fix for me was a motherboard with a
> different chipset.  I did not have a MB with the same chipset as yours
> though.  Maybe you'll be luckier

I'll look into that, thanks for the link

--
Devon

Nvidia binary driver issue

Post by Jason Bourn » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 02:30:00

[snip]

Quote:

> Any other suggestions?

Greetings:

        Hmmm, I saw this in the Linux readme:

Q: X fails to start, and during bootup time I get error messages
   like the following:

    nvidia0: Unable to allocate NVIDIA register resource.

   or:

    nvidia0: Unable to allocate interrupt resource.

A: The system bios has not properly setup your graphics card; FreeBSD
   can't currently setup PCI devices that the BIOS leaves unconfigured.
   Please uncheck "PNP-OS" in your system bios.

        The 44BX chipset was a pretty widely used salt of the earth kind
of chipset, but something to investigate might be the revision of the PCI
bus version; maybe 1.2 or something when it needs to be 2.0. Also try
moving the video card to another slot, sometimes the one on one end of the
row shares an irq with something else. Have you  tried the generic "nv"
driver to see if there are different results? I would think that if the nv
driver works it would eliminate it as being a strictly "PCI" issue. The
only thing gained by using the Nvidia driver is OpenGL, so if you're not
into * or running apps which require it and just want to get on with
life you may consider just using the nv driver if it works. Also pay
attention to all the prerequisites such as the version of X you're running,
there was a required "fix" between earlier versions. Myself I'm using
4.3.1.

-Jason

Nvidia binary driver issue

Post by Jason Bourn » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 02:35:56

> [snip]

>> Any other suggestions?

> Greetings:

        Something else just occurred to me as I was hitting the send button:
Do you have      options USER_LDT  compiled in the kernel?
Quote:

> -Jason

1. Nvidia driver issues (MDK 8)

Hi there. I've been having major hassles trying to get the NVidia drivers
working properly under Mandrake 8.0. (No problems under Mandrake 7.2). They
seem to be installed correctly. I had to use the tarballs because the rpms
didn't want to cooperate. Anyway, I get the Nvidia logo before booting into
KDE ok. GLX games appear to work without a hich. However, I am having major
dilemmas trying to change desktop resolution to 1152x864. I have this
specified under all bit-depths in the XFConfig-4, but when I CTRL+ALT+ "+"
this resolution isn't there. When I try using the Mandrake Control Center to
change resolutions, the tests work fine but then it won't return to the
desktop. The screen goes blank and I cannot get it back without a reboot.

On top of this I am getting an (EE) error in the X log saying that AGP could
not be initialized. I have tried adding the Option "NVagp" to the
XF86Config-4 and tried "0", "1" and "2" values without any success. There is
no option to turn AGP on or off in my BIOS (VIA chipset motherboard), only
AGP speed, so I don't think that is the problem. Could it be that the kernel
needs to be recompiled with AGP support? If so, how do I go about this. I
tried to update the kernel to 2.4.5 without success recently. Install
procedure seemed to work, reboot didn't get past LILO.

As you can see, I've been having a few probs with this damned thing. If
anyone could offer any help I'd most appreciate it as I've pretty much run
out of ideas thus far.

Thanks,

Justin

2. Mach64 Lockup w/X

3. nvidia driver issue

4. Use of default.ld in linking

5. NVidia Driver Issues on Abit vp6 motherboard...

7. NVIDIA Driver Issue

8. problem with ld.so.cache

9. nVidia glx driver issues, emacs, flicker, color depth

10. NVIDIA binary-only driver patch for 2.5.40

11. NVIDIA "binary only" drivers?

12. FreeBSD binary compatibility & Linux NVidia device drivers

13. nvidia 6600 - dual head without binary driver?