Upgrade 2.2.8 to 3.4

Post by Raymond L Sutto » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I want to update 2.2.8 to 3.4 R. I cvsup'd the sources and tried a
buildworld. Fails during "rebuilding of bootstrap libraries" with the
following:

/usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crtbegin.c:32: section attributes are not
supported for this target
/usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crtbegin.c:33: section attributes are not
supported for this target
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:68: Error: Unknown pseudo-op:  `.section'
*** Error code 1

Stop.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Upgrade 2.2.8 to 3.4

Post by Raymond L Sutto » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I want to update 2.2.8 to 3.4 R. I cvsup'd the sources and tried a
> buildworld. Fails during "rebuilding of bootstrap libraries" with the
> following:

> /usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crtbegin.c:32: section attributes are not
> supported for this target
> /usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crtbegin.c:33: section attributes are not
> supported for this target
> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:68: Error: Unknown pseudo-op:  `.section'
> *** Error code 1

> Stop.

> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I know RTFM - I read the Release Notes and I should use "upgrade" not
"buildworld". OK so after trying "upgrade" and letting it run for 5
hours it errors out after the kernel is rebuilt and begins loading.
Errors associated with lpt.o: In function 'lpt_request_ppbus'.
So now - do I start all over and pray or is this a simple problem?

Upgrade 2.2.8 to 3.4

Post by annel.. » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>> I want to update 2.2.8 to 3.4 R. I cvsup'd the sources and tried a
>> buildworld. Fails during "rebuilding of bootstrap libraries" with the
>> following:

Upgrading from 2.2.8 to 3.x is complicated because of the switch
to elf, the need to install new bootblocks, and so forth.  An interim
kernel build is part of it.  There are a couple of documents, one on
my web site, http://andrsn.stanford.edu/FreeBSD (look for upgrading or
a similar link) and another more complete one somewhere else--you
might find a reference on the mailing lists.

Unless you're really interested in the process, a backup of the
home directories and anything else you want to keep (some /etc files
for reference) is easier.  In your second message, you have a kernel
file that has some wrong stuff in it, I think.  But overall it's a
difficult change, and a reinstall might be best.  Read the UPGRADING
file in /usr/src and the Makefiles for more information.

        Annelise

1. Upgrade 3.4 -> 4.0 without making the world ??

Is it possible to upgrade an existing 3.4 system to 4.0 without
doing 'make world' ? Of course I could just format the disk(s)
and do a complete reinstall - but then I'd have to do all the
'tuning' again.

The FreeBSD handbook does not seem to  answer the question.
Is there any documentation on this? Or is the anwer just 'no' ?

--
  Rauli Rautavuori, Student of Engineering, Class ST-4A (2000 - 01)
  Helsinki Institute of Technology, Telecommunications technology

2. linker set stuff

3. upgrading to openssh 3.4

4. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 3 of 6)

5. upgrading OpenSSH 3.2 to 3.4

6. BIND setup problem

7. Upgrade from 3.4-STABLE to 4.x-STABLE

8. Strange login problem

9. Upgrade 3.4 to 4.0, two questions

10. upgrade 3.2 -> 3.4 problems

11. Upgraded from SLackware 3.4 to 3.5, now mouse won't work in X

12. Upgrading OpenWindows 3.4 to WHAT????

13. Anybody upgraded SP System from AIX4.3.3 and PSSP 3.2 to AIX5.1 and PSSP 3.4??