Installing 5.0 (boot from floppy)

Post by Peter Erickso » Fri, 30 May 2003 01:10:50

I am having trouble installing 5.0 onto a 486 using the floppy images to
boot from since my cdrom is not supported. Once I get into the sysinstall, I
need to load the cd9660 (or something like that) driver from the 'drivers'
disk so that i can install from the cdrom. I setup the drive slice as one
that takes up the whole disk and then created a swap partition and a /
partition. When selecting the distribution to install, I selected the 'User'
dist. After installing the OS and rebooting, I get the following on the
screen and then nothing.

F1    FreeBSD

Default: F1

error 1 lba 1390879
No /boot/loader

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:
No /kernel

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:

To check and see if it was a problem with the disks or not, I tried to
install the OS on a pentium machine that I had laying around that was able
to boot of the cd. After installing the OS and rebooting, the system worked
without a problem. Anyone know why the 486 wont boot? Any help is
appreaciated. Thanks in advance.

1. use floppy when boot linux by boot floppy

Hello, I need help on using utility floppy when my linux is boot
by floppy.

Booting is ok, but I need some utilities like "mkdosfs" ...,
which are not contained in the boot&root diskettes. So I make a
utility floppy (mke2fs /dev/fd0; mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt;
cp /sbin/mkdosfs /mnt;) on another linux. Then I insert this
utility floppy back to my linux and mount it to /floppy.
Although, the "mkdosfs" can be seen by "ls" and "cat",
it can't be executed. The error message is "mkdosfs not found".
The boot&root diskettes are from Slackware.

I have check out Linux Bootdisk HOWTO but still have no idea what
happen here. Can you help? Thanks a lot.

2. DOS2Linux: Newbie to Newbie (dot in PATH)

3. Basic install question - boot slice beyond 1024 from floppy or boot manager

4. freebsd boot manager

5. use floppy when boot linux by boot floppy

6. Windowing Korn Shell (wksh) source

7. trying to install from cd...

8. How to boot RedHat 5.0 from a floppy?

9. Trouble with 5.0-RELEASE boot floppies

10. RH 5.0 - no boot floppy?

11. Boot RH 5.0 w/out floppy?

12. Problems creating ODT 5.0 boot floppy