What are the JDK DISPLAY environment variable

What are the JDK DISPLAY environment variable

Post by Gregory Carvalh » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am attempting to determine the settings for the DISPLAY environment
variable, so that my FreeBSD system will execute a Java application under X.
Would someone direct me to the appropriate documentation?

The followng paragraph is from http://www.FreeBSD.org/java/.

"To make a a distribution that works with X/Motif *and* without X, two
java/jre binaries are provided.  The first is linked without X, and is
the standard binary.  The second binary is linked against a static
version of Motif, and against the shared X libraries.  The version used
is controlled by the setting of the DISPLAY environment variable, which
is used by X to determine where to send the output."

Cordially,

Simplified Technology Company  http://www.stcinc.com

In God I trust!

Post by Kenneth Furg » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I am attempting to determine the settings for the DISPLAY environment
> variable, so that my FreeBSD system will execute a Java application under X.
> Would someone direct me to the appropriate documentation?

Your DISPLAY environment variable should be automatically be set when
running X to something like "localhost:0".  Open up an xterm and do a
"setenv | grep DISPLAY" to see what it shows.

- K.C.

What are the JDK DISPLAY environment variable

Post by Gregory Carvalh » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

On the last boot it was set to :0,0. Needless to say, the GUI Java
application will not execute.

snip...

Quote:

>Your DISPLAY environment variable should be automatically be set when
>running X to something like "localhost:0".  Open up an xterm and do a
>"setenv | grep DISPLAY" to see what it shows.

>- K.C.

What are the JDK DISPLAY environment variable

Post by Gregory Carvalh » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

After careful examination (I got really close to the monitor), DISPLAY=:0.0
(not a ,). Is :0.0 correct to run a Java app under X Windows?

Post by Martin Dieringe » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> On the last boot it was set to :0,0. Needless to say, the GUI Java
> application will not execute.

type  "setenv DISPLAY :0.0" or "export DISPLAY=:0.0"

Post by Kenneth Furg » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> After careful examination (I got really close to the monitor), DISPLAY=:0.0
> (not a ,). Is :0.0 correct to run a Java app under X Windows?

That should be correct.  Can you post the exact error message and
perhaps the relevant pieces of your java code?

- K.C.

1. netcfg: TclError: no display name and no $display environment variable

When trying to run NETCFG I get the following error
        TclError: no display name and no $display environment variable

This also happens when I try to run ethercfg.  This is a standalone
fresh install on a machine that I want to get up on the network.  The
NIC cards are in the box but not configured yet.  I am running Redhat
5.2.

I have tried the following with no luck:
   export DISPLAY=:0.0
   export DISPLAY=:0
These were mentioned in some other posts I found as possible
solutions.

Please remove NOSPAM from email address before replying via Email

2. DNS/ipchains question

3. no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

4. pppd SIGHUPs immediately after connecting to ISP

5. Setting env variables for Sun JDK and IBM JDK on a same Linux Server

6. How do I access PCI card memory from user space programs?

7. Setting the DISPLAY Environment variable

8. login script fails

9. Displaying environment variables dynamically in a Korn Shell Script

10. Display value of environment variable

11. Environment Variable - $DISPLAY

12. Telnet Session Default DISPLAY Environment Variable

13. Automatically Set DISPLAY Environment Variable after rlogin