PicoBSD advice.

Post by Nicholas D. Buragli » Sun, 20 Oct 2002 00:41:12

Does anyone have experience with PicoBSD as a router?  More specifically
as a dual WAN router? I need a quick and dirty solution for this scenerio:

DSL1             DSL2
|                 |
 \               /
   ---- FW -----

      Switch

  Internal LAN

------------------                    -----------------
    Nick Buraglio                     Network Engineer

------------------                    -----------------

PicoBSD advice.

Post by Ean Kingst » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 01:01:12

Nic,

<rant>Your signature says you are a Network Engineer. Surely you can
do this without needing to ask. Isn't that your job? What you have
drawn is something you might find in a first year university course on
networking.</rant>

Put 3 NICs into the computer, enable your preferred firewall (ipfw,
ipfilter), setup filters as you see fit, enable packet forwarding,
setup routes to your three networks.

You didn't mention where the two DSL lines go or what you actually
want to do with the three connections.

<rant> for a network engineer your question is certainly lacking any
detail. </rant>

> Does anyone have experience with PicoBSD as a router?  More specifically
> as a dual WAN router? I need a quick and dirty solution for this scenerio:

> DSL1             DSL2
> |                 |
>  \               /
>    ---- FW -----
>       Switch
>   Internal LAN

> ------------------                    -----------------
>     Nick Buraglio                     Network Engineer

>     National Center for Supercomputing Applications
> ------------------                    -----------------

PicoBSD advice.

Post by Nicholas D. Buragl » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 02:32:51

I never said I didn't know how to do it, I asked it anyone had done it
with PicoBSD.  I have had several solutions in place, Cisco 1720,
OpenBSD box, FreeBSD box, and a Nexland pro800turbo.  I wanted to try
picoBSD (which I have never used).  You don;t need to know any more
than I put on there, for a simple 3 leg setup, you only need to know 2
WAN and 1 LAN.  I didn't ask that you do it for me, if I did that I'd
not learn anything. There was no need for you to be such a negative
nancy.  Not that I care really, thanks for the reply.
NB

> Nic,

> <rant>Your signature says you are a Network Engineer. Surely you can
> do this without needing to ask. Isn't that your job? What you have
> drawn is something you might find in a first year university course on
> networking.</rant>

> Put 3 NICs into the computer, enable your preferred firewall (ipfw,
> ipfilter), setup filters as you see fit, enable packet forwarding,
> setup routes to your three networks.

> You didn't mention where the two DSL lines go or what you actually
> want to do with the three connections.

> <rant> for a network engineer your question is certainly lacking any
> detail. </rant>

> > Does anyone have experience with PicoBSD as a router?  More specifically
> > as a dual WAN router? I need a quick and dirty solution for this scenerio:

> > DSL1             DSL2
> > |                 |
> >  \               /
> >    ---- FW -----
> >       Switch
> >   Internal LAN

> > ------------------                    -----------------
> >     Nick Buraglio                     Network Engineer

> >     National Center for Supercomputing Applications
> > ------------------                    -----------------

PicoBSD advice.

Post by Michael Sierchi » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 02:48:40

> I never said I didn't know how to do it, I asked it anyone had done it
> with PicoBSD.

If you're not utterly fixated on PicoBSD, and can tolerate
a PXE-boot or CF-disk, a Soekris Engineering net4501 + a fairly
normal FreeBSD distro will work.  You can pare it down, a la
MiniBSD:

http://neon1.net/misc/minibsd.html

http://www.soekris.com/

PicoBSD advice.

Post by Ean Kingsto » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 23:57:59

Sorry. I misinterpreted your question.

The simple answer (and hopefully polite this time) is Yes it can be done.
PicoBSD is essentially a set of smaller tools that work with the FreeBSD
kernel. It is designed so you can put it on a very small 'disk'. It used to
be small enough so that you could use a single 1.44mb floppy but the kernel
is just to big for that now.

--
Please remove the NOSPAM from my e-mail addres when replying directly.

I'm a good UNIX system administrator looking for work. If you happen to need
one, e-mail me.

PicoBSD advice.

Post by Nicholas D. Buragl » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 23:14:19

No prob, I played a bit with PicoBSD and I don't like it that much.
on another newsgroup someone mentioned http://www.soekris.com/ and
microbsd.  I think I'm going to place an order for one of the net4501
boards in a box thisweek and give that a whirl.  I like the idea of a
hardware box (since thats what I would normally use for something like
this, but since it's my personal lines I've been experiementing) more
than a computer, but I also like all the nice tools that a good unix
install would allow.  Thanks.
NB