Jaz drive for automatic backup.

Post by Arne Norre Ekstroe » Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have a SCSI Jaz drive. I would like to do automatic backup of my
home directory to the drive each night. I used to do this to an extra
HD, which I mounted did the backup and then unmounted.

My reason for mounting and unmounting is to be absolutely sure that
the backup will not be affected by a system crash. (In actuality I
would prefer to have the disk leave the room when not in use for
backup purposes, but this can wait for another time ;-)

Now for some reason or another, the drive goes into some sleep mode,
and I cannot access it until I eject the media and insert it again
:-( The message from the kernel is that the device is not configured.

Any suggestions for avoiding the device not configured problem???

-This is also an issue, if one want to automount the drive.

\Arne

1. Automatic Backups -- or automatic in general. :)

I'd like my LinuxPPC system, running Kernel 2.2.18 (RedHat distribution) to
be able to do (incremental) backups on its own at 4:00AM, a la Restrospect
Express on the Mac side.  The preferred format of storage would be bzip2'd
tarballs, saved to either my CD-RW or a Zip250.

Is there any way to reliabaly do this?  I'm assuming I have to start up some
"infinite" process in the background during the startup phase.

Also, what kind of permissions would I need to access the Zip250/CD-RW for
*writing*?  Would a simple

        chmod g=rwx /dev/cdrw
        chgrp backup /dev/cdrw

work, and I could assign the backup process to group "backup"?  Or do
background processes usually run as ROOT?

TIA!

-patrick

--

http://www.tendim.cjb.net/
Like anime?   Got hotline?

2. Help!!! Can't umount a file system via a telnet session

3. backup on a SCSI jaz drive

4. Installing Slackware95

5. How to get netscape/term working (I did it)

6. Jaz drive / PCMCIA Jaz SCSI card???

7. Reading SINGLE chars from stdin???

8. Jaz drive and Jaz Jet SCSI PCI card -- is it supported?

9. Jaz Drive, Jaz Jet PCI Host Adapter, SCO UNix 5.0.4, PCI/SCSI

10. Using Iomega Jaz drive ( if they ever come out) as a Boot drive???

11. Zip Drive, Jaz Drive, CD-R