ftpd + chrooted client =TZ not set

Post by jan t paja » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

When I try setting up chrooted ftp users, their
directory listings come up in GMT time instead of
in my desired timezone (EST in my case).

Is there a setting somewhere to enable the chrooted
ftp clients to have their timezone set properly?

ftpd + chrooted client =TZ not set

Post by Paul Southwor » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>When I try setting up chrooted ftp users, their
>directory listings come up in GMT time instead of
>in my desired timezone (EST in my case).

>Is there a setting somewhere to enable the chrooted
>ftp clients to have their timezone set properly?

cp /etc/localtime ~ftp/etc/localtime

--Paul

ftpd + chrooted client =TZ not set

Post by J Wuns » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Is there a setting somewhere to enable the chrooted
> ftp clients to have their timezone set properly?

I guess you need to _copy_ (not symlink) over the appropriate timezone
file as etc/localtime inside your chroot environment.

Of course, this is somewhat senseless since the user logging into the
FTP server might be on the other side of the earth, so using UTC is
perhaps the best approach anyway.

--
cheers, J"org

1. How to install wu.ftpd or in.ftpd with chroot?

Hey Admin!

I want to install wu.ftpd or in.ftpd with chroot for special users.
I installed both versions with no success.

The only problem is the chroot, all the other function of ftp are working.

All configs are tested with /usr/local/ftp/dev/null

My Configs for wu.ftpd are
1. in /etc/inetd.conf wu.ftpd -a
2. in /etc/passwd the special-user have a home-dir like /home/./joachim
3. In /usr/local/ftp mkdir pub etc bin ; chmod 511 *
4. - cp /etc/passwd etc; cp /bin/ls bin
5. In the home-dir: mkdir ~ftp
6. Test with: chroot /usr/local/ftp /bin/ls  : not found
Result ftp works but with no chroot.

My Configs for in.ftpd are
1. in /etc/inetd.conf in.ftpd
2. in /etc/passwd the special-user have a home-dir like /home/joachim
3. In /usr/local/ftp mkdir pub etc bin ; chmod 511 *
4. - cp /etc/passwd etc; cp /bin/ls bin
5. In the home-dir: mkdir ~ftp
6. Test with: chroot /usr/local/ftp /bin/ls  : not found
ftp works and  chroot works . BUT ...
I think the ls command wont work. I can upload and download but I cant see
the result of /bin/ls.

Can you help me please.

Thanks in advance for your trouble.
Joachim

2. Computer Security Evaluation FAQ, Version 2.1

3. TIMEZONE (TZ) not set

4. ping from C/C++

5. ftpd wu.ftpd not starting up

6. Kppp missing after KDE installation

7. Problem : ftpd - debian - apache, ftp transfer flag read for all not set

8. Error Message !

9. FTPD & chroot

10. ftpd in a chrooted environment ?

11. chroot ftpd for regular (non-anon) users?

12. start ftpd with chroot()

13. ftpd and chroot question