pcap HELP: device: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured

pcap HELP: device: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured

Post by ermirz.. » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

Call for all the FreeBSD 2.2.8-release experts to help this newbie
(that's me!!!)

I compiled an auditing tools program (mns) on my freshly installed
FreeBSD 2.2.8-release (this could be outdated already since 4.0 is
coming out).  However, I got "pcap device: /dev/bpf0: Device not
configured" whenever I tried to run the executable.  The same thing
happened if I tried sniffit (the package that comes w/CD) .... what
should I do ??? Do I need to compile libpcap again ... I think libpcap.a
is already there in /usr/include.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Ermirza

Post by ohogenk.. » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

> Call for all the FreeBSD 2.2.8-release experts to help this newbie
> (that's me!!!)

> I compiled an auditing tools program (mns) on my freshly installed
> FreeBSD 2.2.8-release (this could be outdated already since 4.0 is
> coming out).  However, I got "pcap device: /dev/bpf0: Device not
> configured" whenever I tried to run the executable.  The same thing
> happened if I tried sniffit (the package that comes w/CD) .... what
> should I do ??? Do I need to compile libpcap again ... I think
libpcap.a
> is already there in /usr/include.

> Thanks in advance for any reply.

> Ermirza

try adding something like:

"pseudo-device   bpfilter 4"

to your kernel configuration.

pcap HELP: device: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured

Post by Matt Barringe » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I compiled an auditing tools program (mns) on my freshly installed
> FreeBSD 2.2.8-release (this could be outdated already since 4.0 is
> coming out).  However, I got "pcap device: /dev/bpf0: Device not
> configured" whenever I tried to run the executable.  The same thing
> happened if I tried sniffit (the package that comes w/CD) .... what
> should I do ??? Do I need to compile libpcap again ... I think libpcap.a
> is already there in /usr/include.

All you need to do is enable:

pseudo-device   bpfilter        4

in your kernel's config file (at least, that's how it looks on 3.1, I haven't
used 2.x for sometime now), recompile it, and you're set.  Grep the LINT file
to see the example.

Matt

pcap HELP: device: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured

Post by ermirz.. » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

I downloaded bpf-1.2a1 tarball file and read the INSTALL file.  It says
add the line " pseudo-device bpfilter 16" to the kernel config file.
Which kernel config file does it refer to ?? Is it the file
kernel.config in / dir ??? ...

I read the INSTALL file and a bit confused.  It says that I need kernel
source for the network drivers I wish to support and blah blah blah ....
Isn't the bpf.h already there in /usr/include/net/ ... also and I do not
have the /sys/<machine>/conf.c on my machine since I do not install the
sources during the installation .... where can I get this conf.c file ..
from the src from the CD ???

In short why I need to make bpf0 again since bpf0 is there in /dev ???

Regards

Erekose

Quote:> try adding something like:

Post by Rainer Duffn » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

> I downloaded bpf-1.2a1 tarball file and read the INSTALL file.  It says
> add the line " pseudo-device bpfilter 16" to the kernel config file.

Cool. You could have 16 processes listen to the NIC in promisc mode at the
same time ;-)
4 is more than enough IMHO...

Quote:> Which kernel config file does it refer to ?? Is it the file
> kernel.config in / dir ??? ...

No, it refers to the kernel config file in
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf
...and read the handbook-section covering "building your own kernel" or so.
It's easy. It worked for me the first time I tried it - and I had never
ever before compiled a kernel. Not on linux, not on bsd.
It's much much simpler than on linux, IMHO.

Quote:> I read the INSTALL file and a bit confused.  It says that I need kernel
> source for the network drivers I wish to support and blah blah blah ....
> Isn't the bpf.h already there in /usr/include/net/ ... also and I do not
> have the /sys/<machine>/conf.c on my machine since I do not install the
> sources during the installation .... where can I get this conf.c file ..
> from the src from the CD ???

If you haven't installed the kernel-sources, you'd have to do that now, before
actually being able to compile your kernel.
/stand/sysinstall

I haven't post-installed a distribution-package after the actual install,
but I know it's possible.

Quote:> In short why I need to make bpf0 again since bpf0 is there in /dev ???

Well, the device may be there, but there is no logic to deal with it in
the kernel....

Quote:> > try adding something like:

> > "pseudo-device   bpfilter 4"

> > to your kernel configuration.

Bingo ;-)

cheers,
Rainer
 Rainer Duffner , Konstanz, Germany

 www: http://www.veryComputer.com/
        M.I.C.R.O.S.O.F.T.
 Most Intelligent Customers Realize:
 Our Software Only Fools *agers

pcap HELP: device: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured

Post by ermirz.. » Sat, 22 May 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the tips :).  It works !!! and the kernel compilation, IMHO,
is much easier on FBSD if compared to thos on Linux .... since I did not
encounter any prob the*time I compile it.

Regards

Erekose

> > I downloaded bpf-1.2a1 tarball file and read the INSTALL file.  It
says
> > add the line " pseudo-device bpfilter 16" to the kernel config file.

> Cool. You could have 16 processes listen to the NIC in promisc mode at
the
> same time ;-)
> 4 is more than enough IMHO...

> > Which kernel config file does it refer to ?? Is it the file
> > kernel.config in / dir ??? ...

> No, it refers to the kernel config file in
> /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> ...and read the handbook-section covering "building your own kernel"
or so.
> It's easy. It worked for me the first time I tried it - and I had
never
> ever before compiled a kernel. Not on linux, not on bsd.
> It's much much simpler than on linux, IMHO.

> > I read the INSTALL file and a bit confused.  It says that I need
kernel
> > source for the network drivers I wish to support and blah blah blah
> > Isn't the bpf.h already there in /usr/include/net/ ... also and I do
not
> > have the /sys/<machine>/conf.c on my machine since I do not install
the
> > sources during the installation .... where can I get this conf.c
file ..
> > from the src from the CD ???

> If you haven't installed the kernel-sources, you'd have to do that
now, before
> actually being able to compile your kernel.
> /stand/sysinstall

> I haven't post-installed a distribution-package after the actual
install,
> but I know it's possible.

> > In short why I need to make bpf0 again since bpf0 is there in /dev
???

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/

pcap HELP: device: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured

Post by Hogenkamp Olive » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

add the line "pseudo-device   bpfilter 4" to
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC or whatever U used to build your kernel
and
rebuild the kernel ( view /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT for example ).

Oliver

> ----------

> Gesendet:  Mittwoch, 19. Mai 1999 03:47

> Betreff:   Re: pcap HELP: device: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured

> I downloaded bpf-1.2a1 tarball file and read the INSTALL file.  It
> says
> add the line " pseudo-device bpfilter 16" to the kernel config file.
> Which kernel config file does it refer to ?? Is it the file
> kernel.config in / dir ??? ...

> I read the INSTALL file and a bit confused.  It says that I need
> kernel
> source for the network drivers I wish to support and blah blah blah
> Isn't the bpf.h already there in /usr/include/net/ ... also and I do
> not
> have the /sys/<machine>/conf.c on my machine since I do not install
> the
> sources during the installation .... where can I get this conf.c file
> ..
> from the src from the CD ???

> In short why I need to make bpf0 again since bpf0 is there in /dev ???

> Regards

> Erekose
> > try adding something like:

> > "pseudo-device   bpfilter 4"

> > to your kernel configuration.

> > --== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==--
> > ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

1. arpwatch: pcap open: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured

Hi, all

I want to run arpwatch-2.0.2 on a FreeBSD 2.2.6
I previously compile de package libpcap-0.4
I see the entry in /dev:

crw------- 1 root wheel 23, 0 Mar 25 02:57 /dev/bpf0

But when I run arpwatch, I have the message:
arpwatch: pcap open: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured

So how to configure correctly /dev/bpf0 ?

I think that I need to make a link beetween /dev/bpf0 and my ethernet card
interface which is fxp0

Thanks for Your help

2. Access to SunWIN Token Documents

3. tcpdump/bpf [/dev/bpf0 - device not configured]

4. Boot disk to support a Wearnes IDE CD-Rom needed for Slackware Linux.

5. /dev/bpf0 - Device not Configured

6. Logrotate won't create new log with proper permissions

7. tcpdump: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured

8. DiP-NeTworking-Guide

9. Device bpf0 not configured

10. Help needed: remote restore: cannot open /dev/tty: Device not configured

11. tcpdump: /dev/bpf0: No such device

12. tcpdump /dev/bpf0 not configured ? 2.1.5

13. tape device bulebud01 / 57 <> mt status /dev/rmt/3n /dev/rmt/0n: Device busysy?