Help: Apache 1.3.9 from ports install

Post by hokiegr.. » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I keep getting a "cannot start httpd" message when attempting to start
Apache 1.3.9 from the ports install on FreeBSD3.3.  I've configured to
use multiple IP's for virtual servers, added the appropriate entries to
the httpd.conf file, yet still get this message.  No other apparent
messages or reason for not starting.  Anyone worked through this?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Bill Mora » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I keep getting a "cannot start httpd" message when attempting to start
> Apache 1.3.9 from the ports install on FreeBSD3.3.  I've configured to
> use multiple IP's for virtual servers, added the appropriate entries to
> the httpd.conf file, yet still get this message.  No other apparent
> messages or reason for not starting.  Anyone worked through this?

Have you checked the Apache error log? See if there's more information
there. Also, if you run `apachectl configtest' does it check out? That
error message is a bit too generalized to diagnose.

-Bill

FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?

Help: Apache 1.3.9 from ports install

Post by hokiegr.. » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I was able to get Apache (httpd) to start, by removing all but one of
the VirtualHosts entries I appended to httpd.conf.  Basically, when
attempting to ping the address for the one VirtualHost, I receive:

Interface not up.

I suppose, the true quesion is what configurations are needed in order
to configure multiple VirtualHosts with Apache and FreeBSD?  I'm able to
do this, like on RedHat Linux, by adding statements to rc.local:
  ifconfig eth0:1 my.desired.ip.address

How is the accomplished on FreeBSD?  I've already added a line to my
/etc/rc.conf file similar to the following, but with no response on the
ping:
  ifconfig_xl0_myid_dev2="inet 155.16.0.105  netmask 255.255.0.0"

ping myid_dev2

Thank you for your reply,

Post by hokiegr.. » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I was able to get Apache (httpd) to start, by removing all but one of
> the VirtualHosts entries I appended to httpd.conf.  Basically, when
> attempting to ping the address for the one VirtualHost, I receive:

> Interface not up.

> I suppose, the true quesion is what configurations are needed in order
> to configure multiple VirtualHosts with Apache and FreeBSD?  I'm able
> do this, like on RedHat Linux, by adding statements to rc.local:
>   ifconfig eth0:1 my.desired.ip.address

> How is the accomplished on FreeBSD?  I've already added a line to my
> /etc/rc.conf file similar to the following, but with no response on
the
> ping:
>   ifconfig_xl0_myid_dev2="inet 155.16.0.105  netmask 255.255.0.0"

> ping myid_dev2

> Thank you for your reply,

> > > I keep getting a "cannot start httpd" message when attempting to
> start
> > > Apache 1.3.9 from the ports install on FreeBSD3.3.  I've
configured
> > > use multiple IP's for virtual servers, added the appropriate
entries
> > > the httpd.conf file, yet still get this message.  No other
apparent
> > > messages or reason for not starting.  Anyone worked through this?

> > Have you checked the Apache error log? See if there's more
information
> > there. Also, if you run `apachectl configtest' does it check out?
That
> > error message is a bit too generalized to diagnose.

> > -Bill

> > --
> > Microsoft: Where do you want to go today?
> > Linux: Where do you want to go tomorrow?
> > FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

So the correct syntax of the rc.conf entry is as follows for multiple
aliases for corresponding IP's:

ifconfig_xl0_alias0="inet 155.16.0.105  netmask 255.255.255.255"
ifconfig_xl0_alias1="inet 155.16.0.106  netmask 255.255.255.255"
ifconfig_xl0_alias2="inet 155.16.0.107  netmask 255.255.255.255"
and so on...

Having setup desired IP's within DNS, the FreeBSD syntax that I was
missing was making the netmask all 255 (255.255.255.255) for the local
interface.  Also, counting up the aliasX, where X is the respective
number of aliases after 0.

Thanks to K.C, Fabian, and Tony!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Help: Apache 1.3.9 from ports install

Post by <st.. » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Yes,

tail /path_to_apache_logs/error_log

Answer's is there