bionode : buffer already done

Post by PAda » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi, I am running Free BSD ver 2.1 on a pentium 90 Mhz as a news server.  I
recently started getting a continuous "bionode : buffer already done"
error messages, which locks up the computer.  I am wondering if anybody
ever got an error message like this and how they resolved it.

I am getting some buffer related error messages from the built in ethernet
card sometimes too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post by J Wuns » Sun, 04 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Hi, I am running Free BSD ver 2.1 on a pentium 90 Mhz as a news server.  I
> recently started getting a continuous "bionode : buffer already done"

                                         biodone:  (btw.)

Quote:> error messages, which locks up the computer.  I am wondering if anybody
> ever got an error message like this and how they resolved it.

That's a strong indication of some kernel bug.  If you get i
repeatedly (and i even suggest upgrading to 2.1.5), your only chance
it to convert this condition into a panic() and analyze the core dump
(or use DDB).

--
cheers, J"org

bionode : buffer already done

Post by PAda » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Thanks for the help!

1. doing buffered RPC via clnt_call: how to do a buffer flush?

Hi,

   at the university I am trying to write a fast client/server application
using RPC (tcp mode).
For this I am trying to force RPC to buffer RPC calls which do not need a return
value locally at the client. This should greatly increase the speed of
my application as I do not have to wait for the servers response at every call.

I have figured out to use the buffered clnt_call
   (see RPCs clnt_tcp.c:
      * TCP based RPC supports 'batched calls'.
      * A sequence of calls may be batched-up in a send buffer.  The rpc call
      * return immediately to the client even though the call was not necessaril
      * sent.  The batching occurs if the results' xdr routine is NULL (0) AND
      * the rpc timeout value is zero (see clnt.h, rpc).
    )
This buffers the RPC locally at the client, but seem not send the RPC call
to the server regulary.

My question:

  How do I force RPC to send the buffer contents from the client to the server?
  (how do I flush the buffer).

Any hint is appreciated.

Many thanks.

-- Birgit

2. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (2/7) [Frequent posting]

3. How to change from duplex to half duplex

4. Slow Transmissions Rates

5. Re-Inventing the wheel or Has anyone done this already

6. How to map network device names to module names?

7. Can't mount DOS C: - busy, already mounted, etc.

8. Custom install from HD with NT & DOS already on

9. Repartition an already existing DOS partition?

10. perl5 with socks extensions - anyone done this already?

11. Linux after Win95 & DOS already set up on 3 partitions?