Bt-952 Uwscsi3 Pci 2-Chnnl Adpt?

Post by Chad Lei » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I am looking to build another server and was looking at www.isn.com for a
SCSI controller and found:

Mylex
Bt-952 Uwscsi3 Pci 2-Chnnl Adpt
Model Number: BT-952

I assume that Mylex now owns Buslogic.

I went to the freebsd handbook and faq on www.freebsd.org and they
mentioned supporting:

BT-946 Series <PCI>
BT-956 Series <PCI>

I went in and looked at my 2.2.2 SCSI source I have on one of my other
servers and found that the "bt" drivers are circa 1994 and came from the
Mach 2.5 source.

Does FreeBSD 2.2.5 support the above named Bt-952 adapter?  Any
experiences?  Currently I use Adaptec 2940 and 3940 variations as well as
Symbios (NCR) 810 and 815 cards.

The server would be for WWW and email on a temp basis while I do work on
the real servers :-)

Thanks
Chad

1. SCSI, two BT-958 or one BT-952?

I'm planning a machine that will serve as a NFS server for an 8 machine
beowulf cluster.  To start with I was planning on getting 4 ultrastar 9ZX
drives spread across two scsi channels.  It looks like I can either get two
BT-958 cards, or a dual channel BT-952 card.  The 958s would cost about $310
total, vs $180 for the 952, but in light of the whole cost of the server, it's
no big deal.  The 952 would save a PCI slot, which would be very nice, since I
might otherwise need to get one ISA ethernet card (plus 2 PCI net cards).

So the 952 seems obvious, but it's a flashpoint card.  How is linux flashpoint
support?  I've been using multimaster cards for years, and they work great.
Will the greater CPU overhead of the flashpoint make a difference for an NFS
server?  This will be a dual CPU system, how well tested is flashpoint with
SMP?  I know some device drivers get unstable under SMP.
--
|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |

2. Reading Memory

3. Mylex bt-952 scsi board: some easy questions

4. SSL Apache servers

5. PCI device ID Oxford 952 UART

6. Use of rmt

7. Buslogic 952, who sells it?

8. shutdown and slackware 96

9. 2.5 changeset 1.952.4.2 corrupt in fs/jfs/inode.c

10. Be A Winner! 952

11. Mylex (Buslogic) BT-950 vs. BT-958

12. Mylex (former BusLogic) BT-958 BT-958D adapter problem.