Dos filesystem (and HD) trashed by FreeBSD?

Dos filesystem (and HD) trashed by FreeBSD?

Post by Rick Slat » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I just put FreeBSD version 2.1.0 on the second partition of a
new Dell XPS 200s pentium machine.  The machine came with a
4 gig drive that had been partitioned into two 2 gig partitions,
and the last one was empty.

All seemed to be going well, and I was restoring BSD files from
a dos backup tape by first writing them to the dos partition,
and then recovering them from FreeBSD.  Each time I ran mount_msdos,
I'd get the warinig message

        Warning: root directory is not an integer multiple of the
        cluster size.

when I mounted the Win 95 partition.  Nothing  unusual happened,
and so I ignored the message (which didn't mean a whole lot to me anyway).

Today, I attempted to gunzip a compressed tar file while it was on the
Win 95 partition from FreeBSD, and all heck broke loose.  The hard drive
"went away" (the machine won't boot from it at all) and the system sees it
as a non-system disk.

Fortunately, all is backed up, and I should be able to put things back -
dos long filenames and all.

What I want to know is if this is a pecularity of FreeBSD when it
encounters a Win 95 filesystem, or had the disk been strangely
partitioned from the beginning?  Will one of the more recent FreeBSD
distributions help, if this is indeed a FreeBSD problem to begin with?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Rick Slater

--
I am Pentium of Borg.
Division is futile.

Dos filesystem (and HD) trashed by FreeBSD?

Post by Brian Some » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I just put FreeBSD version 2.1.0 on the second partition of a
> new Dell XPS 200s pentium machine.  The machine came with a
> 4 gig drive that had been partitioned into two 2 gig partitions,
> and the last one was empty.

Unfortunately, DOS partitions greater than 1028Mb will make
FreeBSD fall on its face.  It's something to do with the
cluster sizes going from 8k to 16k.

That warning message you saw should really be changed to be a
fatal error (the mount should fail).

The only thing you can do if you want to see DOS partitions
is split them up into <1028Mb.

--

      <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk>

Post by Rick Slat » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: Unfortunately, DOS partitions greater than 1028Mb will make
: FreeBSD fall on its face.  It's something to do with the
: cluster sizes going from 8k to 16k.

Aha!  Thanks again for your help, Brian.  I should've waited longer
to see your response, since I just spent two hours restoring win 95
onto its original 2 gig partition.

At least I found out that I could successfully do a full restore
of windoze ... ;-)

Heck, I had so much fun last night that maybe I'll go back and start
all over tonight with 1 gig partitions.  I love to hear the whine of
the tape drive.

Again, thanks. -- Rick

Post by Louis Epste » Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: I just put FreeBSD version 2.1.0 on the second partition of a
: new Dell XPS 200s pentium machine.

Any particular reason you installed 2.1.0 instead of a newer version?
(2.1.0 is what I'm running myself,but any installs I do would be of a
newer version).

Post by Rick Slat » Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: Any particular reason you installed 2.1.0 instead of a newer version?
: (2.1.0 is what I'm running myself,but any installs I do would be of a
: newer version).

I happen to have 2.1.0 on a cdrom and am still waiting for 2.2.0 to become
available on one.  Since I am using 2.1.0 on an older 486 machine, it
seemed like an easy way to migrate to the pentium with upgrades coming
later.

At this point in time, I've come to realize that 2.1.0 can't deal with
today's hard drive sizes and configurations, so I'm dropping the idea
of reinstalling it.  On my last attempt, the mere presence of an extended
partition was enough to make the installation kernel barf.

I'll either go to 2.2.x or else return to Linux.

Regards,
Rick Slater

Dos filesystem (and HD) trashed by FreeBSD?

Post by Louis Epste » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

:

:
: : Any particular reason you installed 2.1.0 instead of a newer version?
: : (2.1.0 is what I'm running myself,but any installs I do would be of a
: : newer version).
:
: I happen to have 2.1.0 on a cdrom and am still waiting for 2.2.0 to become
: available on one.

(I have a hunch that the next CDROM will be 2.2.1,since that's replaced
2.2.0 for FTP!)

(I've subscribed to the CDROMs and have 2.1.7).

: Since I am using 2.1.0 on an older 486 machine, it seemed like an easy
: way to migrate to the pentium with upgrades coming later.
:
: At this point in time, I've come to realize that 2.1.0 can't deal with
: today's hard drive sizes and configurations, so I'm dropping the idea
: of reinstalling it.  On my last attempt, the mere presence of an extended
: partition was enough to make the installation kernel barf.

Hmm,so it's a matter of OS-sharing?

: I'll either go to 2.2.x or else return to Linux.

Well,the CDROM will be out soon,I guess,but I'm not sure how
specific to your complaints the improvements are.

Dos filesystem (and HD) trashed by FreeBSD?

Post by Brian Some » Wed, 02 Apr 1997 04:00:00

                       ^^^^^^^^^^^ This spam avoidance thing is going too far

[.....]
>: At this point in time, I've come to realize that 2.1.0 can't deal with
>: today's hard drive sizes and configurations, so I'm dropping the idea
>: of reinstalling it.  On my last attempt, the mere presence of an extended
>: partition was enough to make the installation kernel barf.

> Hmm,so it's a matter of OS-sharing?

>: I'll either go to 2.2.x or else return to Linux.

> Well,the CDROM will be out soon,I guess,but I'm not sure how
> specific to your complaints the improvements are.

2.2.[01] still has the MSDOSFS problems, but VFATFS hasn't been
forgotten.... no estimated end date yet though.

--

      <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk>