Dual booting between FreeBSDand Win95

Post by Nathan Johans » Thu, 13 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hello

Ii'm taking a class in Unix and would like to set up my PCr to dual
boot between FreeBSD and Windows 95, but I'm unsure where to begin.  I
did plenty of searching--but so far, i've only come up with info on
how to boot between win95 and the previous operating systems (DOS and
win 3.1).

Can someone point me to some online resources, or give me a few
pointers on how to go about this?

Thanks much in advance.
Please email responses as well.

Nathan Johanson

Post by Steve Spence » Thu, 13 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Hello

> Ii'm taking a class in Unix and would like to set up my PCr to dual
> boot between FreeBSD and Windows 95, but I'm unsure where to begin.  I
> did plenty of searching--but so far, i've only come up with info on
> how to boot between win95 and the previous operating systems (DOS and
> win 3.1).

Nathan,

I'm assuming that you already have Win95 installed.  You will have to partition your drive
such that Win95 doesn't take up 100% of the space.  Reinstall Win95 (I gave it about 150
megs out of 2 gigs but however you see fit) the install FreeBSD.  Something to be aware of,
though.  If your hdd has over 1024 physical tracks, the FreeBSD partition must start
somewhere within the first 1024 tracks.  Anyway, good luck.

-    administrator                visit our website for more information    -
-    Sunflower Datavision         http://www.sunflower.com             -

Post by Geoff Shuki » Thu, 13 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> > Hello

> > Ii'm taking a class in Unix and would like to set up my PCr to dual
> > boot between FreeBSD and Windows 95, but I'm unsure where to begin.  I
> > did plenty of searching--but so far, i've only come up with info on
> > how to boot between win95 and the previous operating systems (DOS and
> > win 3.1).

> Nathan,

> I'm assuming that you already have Win95 installed.  You will have to partition your drive
> such that Win95 doesn't take up 100% of the space.  Reinstall Win95 (I gave it about 150
> megs out of 2 gigs but however you see fit) the install FreeBSD.  Something to be aware of,
> though.  If your hdd has over 1024 physical tracks, the FreeBSD partition must start
> somewhere within the first 1024 tracks.  Anyway, good luck.

What program would you use to choose between these two Operating
systems?

Thanks

Geoff

Dual booting between FreeBSDand Win95

Post by Conrad Sabati » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hello

> Ii'm taking a class in Unix and would like to set up my PCr to dual
> boot between FreeBSD and Windows 95, but I'm unsure where to begin.  I
> did plenty of searching--but so far, i've only come up with info on
> how to boot between win95 and the previous operating systems (DOS and
> win 3.1).

> Can someone point me to some online resources, or give me a few
> pointers on how to go about this?

> Thanks much in advance.
> Please email responses as well.

FreeBSD will install, as an option, a simple, easy-to-use boot manager
that allows you to choose to boot from any of your active partitions.

I have FreeBSD and Windows 95 on separate drives, and it's trivially
simple to switch back and forth between them using this.

--
Conrad Sabatier         http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads

Dual booting between FreeBSDand Win95

Post by Brian Some » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: Q1:  Can I install FreeBSD on the second partition on Drive #1?
: Should I?  Or, should I put it on the first partition on Drive #2?
: Or, no difference?

A very slight difference, if you install on the second disk, make sure
that you install a boot manager (the default FreeBSD one is ok).  You'll
be asked to press F5 followed by F1 (probably) if it's on disk 2.

: Q2:  Somebody suggested that I might want to put the swap space on
: whatever drive FreeBSD *isn't* on.  The idea being to take advantage
: of the two separate drive mechanisms, less wear&tear moving across
: across the disk getting to and from the swap.  Does that make any
: sense?  (BTW, I have 40meg memory.)

Makes sense, but if they're both IDE, they're probably going through
the same controller....

--

      <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk>

Dual booting between FreeBSDand Win95

Post by Justin Murdo » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Michael> Q2: Somebody suggested that I might want to put the swap
Michael> space on whatever drive FreeBSD *isn't* on.  The idea being
Michael> to take advantage of the two separate drive mechanisms, less
Michael> wear&tear moving across across the disk getting to and from
Michael> the swap.  Does that make any sense?  (BTW, I have 40meg
Michael> memory.)

Yes, moving the drive head is pretty much the bottleneck, the more
independant heads, the less you'll have to wait. It probably won't
make much difference, but it is *better*

(All IMHO, and I've some wierd Os)

--
~ o  - Attention Netscape Users: this sig is to be viewed in italic courier
 |   - in black on a dark seashell background (#BAB1AA) and in a window not
\_/  - less than 77 letters wide ADJUST YOUR BROWSER NOW. Thank you, Justin

Post by Patrick Steran » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> >: Q1:  Can I install FreeBSD on the second partition on Drive #1?
> >: Should I?  Or, should I put it on the first partition on Drive #2?
> >: Or, no difference?
> >A very slight difference, if you install on the second disk, make sure
> >that you install a boot manager (the default FreeBSD one is ok).  You'll
> >be asked to press F5 followed by F1 (probably) if it's on disk 2.

As a first time installer to FreeBSD and paranoid about what might go
wrong I choose NOT to install the boot manager.

I created a boot floppy and early in the boot sequence I type:
        sd(1,a)kernel
to force the boot-process to look on my 2nd drive for the kernel.

I'm not sure if this is at all "the right way to do it", but it
has worked OK so far.  And it had the benefit that most paranoid
installers have.  I was able to install on drive 2 without making
any changes on drive 1.

My two cents,
--
Patrick Steranka

wk: 301-680-3343

1. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

Hi:

I've got a 266 PII PC with one EIDE hard-drive with Win95 installed.  I want
to add a second EIDE hard drive (probably around 4-6 Gb) and install RH
Linux 5.1 plus some other Linux s/w (like Oracle8.0.5 pre-production
release!  Yew!).  I want to be able to choose which O/S (ie. which
hard-drive) I boot from at power-on.  I'm not real good with hardware and
low-level stuff.  Do I need to purchase a good boot-loader?  Is there one
that anyone would recommend that works very well and is simple (and safe!)
to install for choosing boot between Linux and Win95?

Doubly thankful if you would respond via email as well as posting here!

Thanks and regards,
Dave

2. Support of sendmsg/recvmsg

3. c++, socket, accept() freezes

4. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb

5. Plea to the Omnipotent U*X Gurus

6. Dual boot networked to dual boot

7. Please Help!! Trouble with X and Canon BJC-4000

8. how to dual boot Win95 + DOS (no linux) ?

9. Dual booting Linux and Win95 (newbie)

10. Linux/Win95 Dual Boot? Can it be done?

11. preparing dual/boot 4 end user, where to get legal win95 for it

12. Dual Boot Win95/SCO