User PPP not adding default route

Post by Rory Imua Lamper » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hello, I have user ppp: Version 0.94 - $Date: 1997/01/14 07:15:44 $

When I dial into my ISP, I authenticate and recieve IP's, tun0 is ifconfig'd
but it will not add the default route.  I have to manually add it.

My ppp.linkup hasn't changed since the previous version and stands at:
MYADDR:
 add 0 0 HISADDR

In the example it also says that a script can be executed after linkup
so I changed it to:
MYADDR:
 add 0 0 HISADDR
 ! sh -c "/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup.routefix"

Where /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup.routefix is :
netstat -rn | grep tun0 | grep -v default | awk '{print "add default "$1}'| \
        xargs route;
echo route fixed > /tmp/routemebaby

Which does not appear to run either.

Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong and offer suggestions for solving
this?

Thanks much!

Rory Imua Lampert

User PPP not adding default route

Post by Brian Some » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello, I have user ppp: Version 0.94 - $Date: 1997/01/14 07:15:44 $

> When I dial into my ISP, I authenticate and recieve IP's, tun0 is ifconfig'd
> but it will not add the default route.  I have to manually add it.

> My ppp.linkup hasn't changed since the previous version and stands at:
> MYADDR:
>  add 0 0 HISADDR

> In the example it also says that a script can be executed after linkup
> so I changed it to:
> MYADDR:
>  add 0 0 HISADDR
>  ! sh -c "/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup.routefix"

> Where /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup.routefix is :
> netstat -rn | grep tun0 | grep -v default | awk '{print "add default "$1}'| \
>         xargs route;
> echo route fixed > /tmp/routemebaby

> Which does not appear to run either.

> Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong and offer suggestions for solving
> this?

> Thanks much!

Check out http://www.awfulhak.org/ppp.html.  If you still have any
problems, drop me a line.

Hint: /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup.routefix must be executable and have a
      "#!" line at the start of it if it's a script.

--

      <http://www.awfulhak.org>

1. How do I add default route for PPP interface as non-root user?

As a user initiating a PPP dial-up connection from within a script file,
how do I dynamically add a default route?  The route add command
requires root permission and setuid does not have any effect on the
shell script file permissions, thereby not allowing the user executing
the script to perform the 'route add'.

Is there a PPP configuration file that allows default routes to be added
when the PPP interface is started?  Or some other workaround for this?

2. Sound on Thinkpad 360PE, 750P, 755C/CS

3. PPP, route add default gw

4. meinproc compile errors -- how to fix?

5. Adding Route Add Default to Startup

6. tetex/kghostview printing wrong page

7. routed adds wrong default route

8. Adaptec ACB-4070 bridgeboard. any software laying around

9. FreeBSD user mode PPP - default route

10. PPP not replacing default route to sl0[0.0.0.0]

11. ppp redhat 5.1: not replacing default route eth0: MEANING ???

12. ppp default route - not setting...

13. PPP connection not assigning ip address & default route