Kernel

Post by Tomer Welle » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Pepole, i have a request, a silly request, but a request, i need some1 to
compile my kernel...
you see, my whole system is on wd2, which is not compiled into the kernel,
so i need some1 to compile my kernel and then i'll boot it up.
plz plz plz help me, send an email to my mailbox, and i'll send u my
configuration. Thanks !

Kernel

Post by Staffan Ulfber » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Pepole, i have a request, a silly request, but a request, i need some1 to
> compile my kernel...
> you see, my whole system is on wd2, which is not compiled into the kernel,
> so i need some1 to compile my kernel and then i'll boot it up.
> plz plz plz help me, send an email to my mailbox, and i'll send u my
> configuration. Thanks !

I don't know if this works, but have you tried booting off the install
floppy, giving the -a option at the boot prompt, to use the generic
kernel, but with wd2 as your root partition?  (From "man boot":)

      Boot flags:
      -a    during kernel initialization, ask for the device to mount
            as as the root file system.

Well, it should work, but if I remember correctly I've had problems
with it before.

Otherwise, I'd suggest that you get the the fixit floppy disk,
together with the install floppy disk for FreeBSD.  Then boot off the
install disk (which has a generic kernel.)  Start a shell from the
fixit disk (it's some option in the install menu), and copy the
generic kernel itself to your wd2 partition.  (I don't know if the
kernel is stored as a file on the floppy; if not, this might be a bit
problematic.)

Well, if all else fails, I could compile a kernel for you, no problem.
I can compile a kernel for 2.2.5, 2.2.6, or 2.2.8.

Staffan

Kernel

Post by J Wuns » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> you see, my whole system is on wd2, which is not compiled into the kernel,

Use something like `1:wd(2,a)kernel' at the bootprompt, and then put
this string into your /boot.config.

And btw., do read the FAQ every now and then...
--
cheers, J"org

1. aha1542, module vs kernel, kernel doesn't work, need kernel

The reason I need it as kernel code is so that I can put /usr on a
seperate 8.2g drive.

When aha1542 is built as a module, it pops up immediately before the
login screen, and everything works as planned.

Remaking the kernel with it set to be kernel code, it starts the bus
scan during the boot, not too long after the ide devices are found, but
then goes into a double loop of resetting the device 2-4 times, then the
whole bus, then repeats the device, all the while saying it can't abort
the call, but evertually it will find the drive at address 0 on the bus
and go on, at which point it repeats this procedure for address one,
each pass thru the loop taking about 5 minutes, finding the quatum 8.2g
at each addreess in turn until it gets to address 4, at which point the
discovery phase eventually finds a Colorado T4000s at address 4, which
is its correct address, then also at 5 & 6.

Then it apparently repeats the loop, asking each device for its capacity
details, and going through this same error recovery time killer, except
that this time it only gets partial answers only, and only at the
correct address for the device.

I let it go through all that, and finally got a login screen and did so,
but was unable to open either device, not even with fdisk /dev/sda.

I've used several of these cards in years past, and have always had to
edit the source to lower the address of its port by 0x100, to the 0x230
area, and to reset the irq from 11 to 10.  Without those changes the
module doesn't init itself, ever, and it has required those changes to
the code in order to function on 3 different motherboards I've run it
on.

But here, I need the direct in the kernel version so I can put /usr on
it.  Put it in the kernel, and it fails miserably, both for 2.2.18,
2.2.19, and 2.4.2.  The 2.4.2 failure surprised me as that code has a
diff that looks to be in excess of 10k from the older code.

So why can't I put aha1542.o into the (apparently any) kernel?
Inquiring minds want to know. (-;

Cheers, Gene
--

        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
#Amiga based X10 home automation program EZHome, see at:#

2. Using iijppp to connect to unsupportive ISPs

4. ELM source

5. Kernel configuration in kernel, kernel 2.4.20

6. Swap_duplicate: weirdness (?)

7. redhat 9 kernel diff from kernel.org kernel?

8. Terminal Server Ports - RH5.2

9. Kernel configuration in kernel, kernel 2.5.53

10. ALERTE: VIRUS DETECTE DANS UN MESSAGE ENVOYE PAR linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org

11. "kernel version needed..." problem creating RedHat kernel???

12. [Kernel Q} What happended to "sema" and other kernel symbols in aix4.3.2 ???

13. not inline code in kernel (reducing kernel size)