Sendmail Problem.. Please Help..

Post by Mark Simon » Fri, 21 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I have recently changed an MX record from the current Unix Box to another
server..  I have deleted the host (bakersfieldchamber.org) from the
sendmail.cw file..  the dns looks correct but when I send mail from the unix
box to a mailbox on the new server I get this message :

The original message was received at Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:46:31 -0700 (PDT)

from [208.19.97.41]

553 mail.bakersfieldchamber.org. config error: mail loops back to me (MX
problem?)

--

DNS :

Server:  ns1.bakersfield.net
Address:  208.19.97.3

bakersfieldchamber.org  MX preference = 10,  mail exchanger =
mail.bakersfieldchamber.org

bakersfieldchamber.org  nameserver = ns1.bakersfield.ne
bakersfieldchamber.org  nameserver = ns2.bakersfield.ne

mail.bakersfieldchamber.org     internet address = 208.19.97.249

ns1.bakersfield.net     internet address = 208.19.97.3
ns2.bakersfield.net     internet address = 208.19.97.4

I have asked several other people if they had any ideas and they also state
they are baffled by this..

Any help is appreciated..

Post by greg byshe » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> I have recently changed an MX record from the current Unix Box to another
> server..  I have deleted the host (bakersfieldchamber.org) from the
> sendmail.cw file..  the dns looks correct but when I send mail from the unix
> box to a mailbox on the new server I get this message :

> The original message was received at Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:46:31 -0700 (PDT)

> from [208.19.97.41]

> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

> ----- Transcript of session follows -----

> 553 mail.bakersfieldchamber.org. config error: mail loops back to me (MX
> problem?)

This is probably not a DNS problem, but a server config problem.  You are
getting the error message from mail.bakersfieldchamber.com -- which doesn't
seem to be running Sendmail:

        $ telnet 208.19.97.249 25
        Trying 208.19.97.249...
        Connected to 208.19.97.249.
        Escape character is '^]'.
        220 X1 NT-ESMTP Server bakersfield.net (IMail 6.00 10473-1)

If I'm interpreting this correctly, it means that mail.bakersfieldchamber.org
doesn't know how to handle the mail locally, but is told to send the mail to
itself when it checks the MX.

--

hate spam? <http://www.cauce.org>
           <http://www.byshenk.net/ive.been.spammed.html>

Post by Bill Vermilli » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>I have recently changed an MX record from the current Unix Box to
>another server.. I have deleted the host (bakersfieldchamber.org)
>from the sendmail.cw file.. the dns looks correct but when I send
>mail from the unix box to a mailbox on the new server I get this
>message :

>The original message was received at Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:46:31
>-0700 (PDT)
>from [208.19.97.41]

>----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

>----- Transcript of session follows -----

>553 mail.bakersfieldchamber.org. config error: mail loops back to
>me (MX problem?)

>--

Don't you jus hate it when that occurs.

When I have that problem I most often find that I've inadevertantly
left a domain name out of the sendmail.cw file - the file which
says what domains for which we will accept mail.

Quote:>I have asked several other people if they had any ideas and they
>also state they are baffled by this..

Did my advice help?

--

1. Sendmail problem.. please help !!!

Hi all

        I'm trying to install SendMail8.8.6 in a machine with OpenServer 5.0.2
. During compilation doesn't had any error messages but after
instalation when i'd tried to made  "telnet 0 25" the following message
was the answer:

#telnet 0 25
Trying 0.0.0...
Connected to 0
Escape character is '^]'.
220 betsy.etecsa.cu Sendmail8.8.6 ready at Thu , 10 Jul 97 15:03 EDT

dbm map Alias0: unsafe map file /usr/lib/mail/aliases: Permision denied
221 betsy.etecsa.cu closing connection

The same message appear when i'm trying to send any messages to my
machine. I check the permision of /usr/lib/aliases and any problem seems
to me. Coul anybody give me some idea, please

TIA

betsy

2. x86 hangs on network

4. Help! Filesystem problems!

5. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

6. How do I network dos to linux

7. AmiVIs+Sendmail+Sophos - Need a little help please with sendmail.cf for ..

8. tg3 patches needed for 2.4.19/2.4.20

9. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!

10. Bizarre: Sendmail Connects Then Times Out...Sendmail Gurus Please Help

11. problem in unstanding sendmail/cf SMTP auth (Solaris 8 Sendmail 8.10) Please Explain

12. PLEASE, PLEASE help with my sendmail.cf!!

13. Solaris sendmail related problem. Please help!!!