Setting up a spam filter

Post by Rudi Ahler » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 06:24:29

Hi guys (and girls)

I thought I'd never ask this, but how do I accomplish this task? I had a
look at what some of you spoke about, and tried it without avail. I have
FBSD 4.8, on a dialup link, running fetchmail, and qmail. This works well,
but I don't have a spam filter, so I installed filtermail (from ports), and
configured it. When I tried to test it, it saw the email (I sent a test
email, with a test word in the subject), but it doesn't delete the mail.

1) What am I doing wrong?
2) What is procmail, what's it used for? Do I need it if my mail works fine?
I see a lot being mentioned about it.

I hope someone can shed some light on the subject

tia

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Compassion is difficult to give away because it keeps coming back.

Setting up a spam filter

Post by Kris Kennawa » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:00:07

> Hi guys (and girls)

> I thought I'd never ask this, but how do I accomplish this task? I had a
> look at what some of you spoke about, and tried it without avail. I have
> FBSD 4.8, on a dialup link, running fetchmail, and qmail. This works well,
> but I don't have a spam filter, so I installed filtermail (from ports), and
> configured it. When I tried to test it, it saw the email (I sent a test
> email, with a test word in the subject), but it doesn't delete the mail.

> 1) What am I doing wrong?
> 2) What is procmail, what's it used for? Do I need it if my mail works fine?
> I see a lot being mentioned about it.

> I hope someone can shed some light on the subject

I use and recommend bogofilter for spam filtering.  It comes with
sufficient documentation to set it up.

Kris

Setting up a spam filter

Post by Ben Crowel » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:47:18

Procmail is a general-purpose mail-filtering utility. Here's a good
introduction:
http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

My experience with procmail has been that it's arcane and difficult to test.
I use it, but I'm thinking of writing my own Perl script instead, because
I'm afraid to change my procmail filters for fear of doing something
horrible.

Setting up a spam filter

Post by Michael J. Lyn » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:32:08

>> Hi guys (and girls)

>> I thought I'd never ask this, but how do I accomplish this task? I had a
>> look at what some of you spoke about, and tried it without avail. I have
>> FBSD 4.8, on a dialup link, running fetchmail, and qmail. This works
>> well, but I don't have a spam filter, so I installed filtermail (from
>> ports), and configured it. When I tried to test it, it saw the email (I
>> sent a test email, with a test word in the subject), but it doesn't
>> delete the mail.

>> 1) What am I doing wrong?
>> 2) What is procmail, what's it used for? Do I need it if my mail works
>> fine? I see a lot being mentioned about it.

>> I hope someone can shed some light on the subject

> I use and recommend bogofilter for spam filtering.  It comes with
> sufficient documentation to set it up.

> Kris

We just started using Spam Assassin and our customers are thrilled.
Good Luck,
Mike

1. spam spam spam spam

plush-toy daemon?  I tried to mail back asking if I was on some sort of
mailing list and got the ad back again (in English and German this
time).
It's kinda annoying.
--
                                                            - Mike

                                                    |   |
                                                    | _ |
Michael D. White                             _______|/V\|_______
University of California, Davis      X------------[_\(.)/_]------------X
Dept. of Mechanical & Aeronautical Engineering    /o`~|~`o\

                    http://www.engr.ucdavis.edu/~mdwhite
                 http://www-mae.engr.ucdavis.edu/CFD/white

2. Which library to update?

3. Is there a way to set up a white list spam filter on Linux

4. problem in compiling the cxterm for Linux

5. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

6. change IRQ

7. IMAP spam filtering?

8. Mac LPR Daemon

9. Need SPAM Filter software to monitor sendmail

10. Extended SPAM filtering

11. Pointer: Foiling spam and other procmail email-filter tips

12. Sendmail and SPAM Filters - how?

13. Looking for a Spam Filter...