FreeBSD cmd line editor / text editor recommends?

FreeBSD cmd line editor / text editor recommends?

Post by Bria » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I am running a 386-40, 8mb, FreeBSD 2.1.0 RELEASE

I am looking for some recommendations for a shell
that has a built in command line editor or a package
that I can add into an existing shell.

Also looking for a good text editor. That is one that
is tight, fast, small, non-bloated, inserts a line when
ya hit enter, deletes the previous character when ya
hit back space, goes to the next screen when ya hit page
down.....in other words a editor that works like the
millions of them that I used in MS-DOG/Windoze.

Post by Stephan For » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: I am running a 386-40, 8mb, FreeBSD 2.1.0 RELEASE

I use naerly the same config on one of my machines and never
had trouble....

: I am looking for some recommendations for a shell
: that has a built in command line editor or a package
: that I can add into an existing shell.

You could give tcsh a try. It is in the ports collection.
After you installed the port you can use the command chsh
to change your login shell.

: Also looking for a good text editor. That is one that
: is tight, fast, small, non-bloated, inserts a line when
: ya hit enter, deletes the previous character when ya
: hit back space, goes to the next screen when ya hit page
: down.....in other words a editor that works like the
: millions of them that I used in MS-DOG/Windoze.

Uuuaahha.... :-)

But if you still need this I guess that pico is the right one
for you. It is bundled with pine, a mail frontend. It's also
in the ports collection.

Regards, Stephan

--

Martin-Luther-Str. 55                     voice: +49 6131 581072
55131 Mainz, Germany                      fax:   +49 6131 509251

Post by Igor Vladim Roshch » Sun, 16 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: You could give tcsh a try. It is in the ports collection.
: After you installed the port you can use the command chsh
: to change your login shell.

Do not forget add it to /etc/shells.

: : Also looking for a good text editor. That is one that
: : is tight, fast, small, non-bloated, inserts a line when
: : ya hit enter, deletes the previous character when ya
: : hit back space, goes to the next screen when ya hit page
: : down.....in other words a editor that works like the
: : millions of them that I used in MS-DOG/Windoze.

: Uuuaahha.... :-)

: But if you still need this I guess that pico is the right one
: for you. It is bundled with pine, a mail frontend. It's also
: in the ports collection.

Usually it's included in pine-package as a separate binary

You can also try joe, which is compact version of emacs,
i.e. small enough and without unnecessary fancy features
like mailer, news-reader,psyciatrist (unlike emacs).

IgoR

FreeBSD cmd line editor / text editor recommends?

Post by J Wuns » Sun, 16 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> : You could give tcsh a try. It is in the ports collection.
> : After you installed the port you can use the command chsh
> : to change your login shell.

> Do not forget add it to /etc/shells.

The port or package should handle this automagically for you.

--
cheers, J"org

FreeBSD cmd line editor / text editor recommends?

Post by J Wuns » Sun, 16 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I am looking for some recommendations for a shell
> that has a built in command line editor or a package
> that I can add into an existing shell.

/bin/sh.  Type ``set -o emacs'' or shorter ``set -E'' to get the
command-line editor to work.

All the shells from the packages (bash, tcsh, zsh, ksh) do also
support this feature as well.

Quote:> Also looking for a good text editor.

Religous point.  Pick one out of the ``Editors'' section in the ports
collection (or packages), and see if it fits your needs.  (Don't pick
one of the Emacsen however, they will appear `bloated' in your eyes.
-- J?rg, typing this in FSF Emacs. :)

From your description, even /usr/bin/ee might fit.

--
cheers, J"org

Post by Ken Bigelo » Mon, 17 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I am running a 386-40, 8mb, FreeBSD 2.1.0 RELEASE

> I am looking for some recommendations for a shell
> that has a built in command line editor or a package
> that I can add into an existing shell.

Try bash. It's available as a package in the dist.

Quote:

> Also looking for a good text editor. That is one that
> is tight, fast, small, non-bloated, inserts a line when
> ya hit enter, deletes the previous character when ya
> hit back space, goes to the next screen when ya hit page
> down.....in other words a editor that works like the
> millions of them that I used in MS-DOG/Windoze.

Try pico. Its packed with pine (also avaialble as a package in the dist.

I hope this helps.

Ken

Post by Peter Mutsaer » Mon, 17 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>> said:

    B> I am running a 386-40, 8mb, FreeBSD 2.1.0 RELEASE
    B> I am looking for some recommendations for a shell
    B> that has a built in command line editor or a package
    B> that I can add into an existing shell.

zsh is ideal. First of all it is 100% bourne shell compatible (a must
for me, I don't want to learn/remember two styles of shell), it is
also 100% ksh compatible (unlike bash). Then it has all the features
of bash, but in a more general form and better programmable. For
example, it is possible to have filename completion when pressing
<tab>, but only show directory names after you typed a line starting
with 'cd'.

Whatever you choose, I'd *not* use a csh-like shell (like tcsh). The
csh has a completely different syntax. Usually shell scripts are
written for the Bourne shell or the Korne shell (ksh). It is nice if
your interactive shell uses the same syntax.

All goodies from the csh (like job control, !-history expansion) have
long been added to Bourne shell decendants, so there is no reason
anymore to use csh-like shells.
Peter Mutsaers       |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |     "Quod licet bovis,

Post by Paul M. Newhous » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> zsh is ideal. First of all it is 100% bourne shell compatible ...
> ... it is also 100% ksh compatible

I didn't see this in the ports or packages for Free or Net BSD.
Where does one find zsh.

Thanks,
Paul

Post by Theo de Raa » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00

   > zsh is ideal. First of all it is 100% bourne shell compatible ...
   > ... it is also 100% ksh compatible

   I didn't see this in the ports or packages for Free or Net BSD.
   Where does one find zsh.

It is in the FreeBSD ports package as
        shells/zsh

It says:        Zsh - the Z shell, version 2.6 beta 17

(I, an OpenBSD-kinda-guy, am mentioning this because the FreeBSD ports
system also builds under OpenBSD.  So it is available as a ports thing
under a NetBSD-like operating system too. :-)

The ports infrastructure is a pretty nifty way of populating /usr/local
--

Post by Andrew V. Stes » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: I am running a 386-40, 8mb, FreeBSD 2.1.0 RELEASE

: I am looking for some recommendations for a shell
: that has a built in command line editor or a package
: that I can add into an existing shell.

        try to tell:

                set -E

        to a plain FreeBSD /bin/sh, and you should get a Emacs-style
        builtin command line editor working.

--

        With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

        +380 (44) 2760188       +380 (44) 2713457       +380 (44) 2713560

        "You may delegate authority, but not responsibility."
                                        Frank's Management Rule #1.

Post by Tony Griffith » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> : I am running a 386-40, 8mb, FreeBSD 2.1.0 RELEASE

> : I am looking for some recommendations for a shell
> : that has a built in command line editor or a package
> : that I can add into an existing shell.

Try installing 'tcsh' or 'bash' from the packages/shells area.  Both
have filename completion and editing/history functions.

As for text editors, however much I hate so say it, become familiar with
'vi'.  It's basically the only universally available editor on U*x
systems.  Almost any other editor environment you use on "your" system
will not exist anywhere else and if you don't know vi, you're lost!
Sure you can get emacs almost everywhere but you have to remember to
cart around "your" customisations (doesn't everyone customise their
emacs environment???) where ever you may go...

Tony

Post by J Wuns » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Whatever you choose, I'd *not* use a csh-like shell (like tcsh). The
> csh has a completely different syntax. Usually shell scripts are
> written for the Bourne shell or the Korne shell (ksh). It is nice if
> your interactive shell uses the same syntax.

The latter (and since you need it to prove your stated opinion, the
former claim as well) is a ``YMMV'' item.  I personally fail to see
why using a different shell for interactive work (tcsh) than for
scripting (sh) should cause me any problems.  Actually, i used to do
it this way for years now.  Both languages are far from being the only
computer languages i know about, and i tend to write larger scripts in
Perl instead anyway since it's more efficient.  Once i finished
learning Tcl, i think i will also often find occasions where this
would fit better.

Of course, this is so much a matter of personal taste that it's
useless to recommend either of them in Usenet.  But it's also useless
to think you have to warn users to not use a csh or compatible one,
for the only reason that this is _your_ decision.  It's about in the
same boat as warning users to not use Linux, since this was just your
decision...

--
cheers, J"org

Post by Peter Mutsaer » Mon, 24 Jun 1996 04:00:00

    >> Whatever you choose, I'd *not* use a csh-like shell (like
    >> tcsh). The csh has a completely different syntax. Usually shell
    >> scripts are written for the Bourne shell or the Korne shell
    >> (ksh). It is nice if your interactive shell uses the same
    >> syntax.

    JW> The latter (and since you need it to prove your stated
    JW> opinion, the former claim as well) is a ``YMMV'' item.  I
    JW> personally fail to see why using a different shell for
    JW> interactive work (tcsh) than for scripting (sh) should cause
    JW> me any problems.  Actually, i used to do it this way for years
    JW> now.  Both languages are far from being the only computer

Yes, if you've been doing that for years then its logical. Doing what
you're used to is always the easiest. Years ago it made good sense to
start using csh-like shells because they offered features (kind of
command line editing) not available in /bin/sh. But when starting with
shells it is better to use shells with only 1 basic
syntax. /bin/sh-derived shells nowadays offer all features that
/bin/csh-like shells have, so there's no need to burden yourself with
2 syntaxes.

    JW> languages i know about, and i tend to write larger scripts in
    JW> Perl instead anyway since it's more efficient.  Once i
    JW> finished learning Tcl, i think i will also often find
    JW> occasions where this would fit better.

I've written quite a lot in perl and tcl (even a large commercial app in
tcl/tk) but often it is better to use the shell, even when it is less
structured and slower. The reason: /bin/sh (and sed, awk, etc) exist
everywhere. When I come in some company to help then and make some
tools, I don't want to make them depend on lots of other tools (many
companies even won't allow me because they don't want Free software,
even when it's better). For a specific purpose or application it may
be right to use Perl or whatever non-standard thing, but in general
only universally available stuff (sh, awk, sed,....) should be used.

So one will have to learn /bin/sh syntax anyway.

    JW> Of course, this is so much a matter of personal taste that
    JW> it's useless to recommend either of them in Usenet.  But it's
    JW> also useless to think you have to warn users to not use a csh
    JW> or compatible one, for the only reason that this is _your_
    JW> decision.  It's about in the same boat as warning users to not
    JW> use Linux, since this was just your decision...

I warned this person against using csh-like shells, but not because
it's my decision. It is an objective and good advice (I didn't even
mention the weak points of csh syntax as compared to sh syntax as you
might know from the 'csh considered harmful' article that was posted
regularly by someone on Usenet).

Post by J Wuns » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I assert that you are wrong.

> answer=
> echo ksh | read answer
> test -n "$answer" && { echo $answer; exit; }
> answer=notbash
> answer=\${answer#not}
> answer=`(eval echo $answer) 2>/dev/null`
> test -z "$answer" && echo sh || echo bash

> This script only tests for ksh, sh and bash.  If zsh is both bourne
> and ksh compatible, what does this script say when run ?

Shell           Answer

bsh             sh              (True Bourne Shell, SVR4)
ash             sh              (Almquist Shell, /bin/sh in 4.4BSD)
ksh             ksh             (True Korn Shell, SVR4)
pdksh           bash            (public domain Korn Shell)
bash            bash
zsh             ksh

:-)

--
cheers, J"org

FreeBSD cmd line editor / text editor recommends?

Post by Mika Ruohot » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>example, it is possible to have filename completion when pressing

in the system where i learned to use freebsd the zsh showed all the
possible file/dir names if there were more than one matching, but i
havent seen that feature on any other freebsd machine i've or other
people have made... how was it done? any idea?

Quote:><tab>, but only show directory names after you typed a line starting
>with 'cd'.

how?

Quote:>anymore to use csh-like shells.

there never has been... =)

Quote:>Peter Mutsaers       |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |     "Quod licet bovis,

mickey