Browser fbsd

Post by John Nielse » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 06:23:45

Quote:> What new browsers are supported in fbsd 4.4 ? I tried the
> /usr/ports of netscape version 4.77 but it complained about
> some security flaws and refused make/install, so, i think netscape
> dropped support for bsd any later versions than 4.77 , uhm?

Netscape isn't open-source and they stopped producing FreeBSD binaries after
4.76 or 4.77.  So if you want to use Netscape, you have to either tweak the
FreeBSD-native Makefile(s) so the older version will install (basically
comment out the BROKEN line) or enable Linux emulation and run the Linux
version 4.79 or 6.1.

You can compile Mozilla natively on FreeBSD.  Netscape is based on it
anyway..

There are a lot of other browsers out there as well.  My personal favorite
is Opera, which also requires Linux emulation (and a registration fee if you
want to get rid of the ad banner at the top).  If you use KDE you should
definitely look at Konqueror.  And I'm sure others will suggest their
favorites as well...

JN

Browser fbsd

Post by Ron Overto » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 08:11:52

>>>What new browsers are supported in fbsd 4.4 ? I tried the
>>>/usr/ports of netscape version 4.77 but it complained about
>>>some security flaws and refused make/install, so, i think netscape
>>>dropped support for bsd any later versions than 4.77 , uhm?

>>Netscape isn't open-source and they stopped producing FreeBSD binaries after
>>4.76 or 4.77.  So if you want to use Netscape, you have to either tweak the
>>FreeBSD-native Makefile(s) so the older version will install (basically
>>comment out the BROKEN line) or enable Linux emulation and run the Linux
>>version 4.79 or 6.1.

>>You can compile Mozilla natively on FreeBSD.  Netscape is based on it
>>anyway..

>>There are a lot of other browsers out there as well.  My personal favorite
>>is Opera, which also requires Linux emulation (and a registration fee if you
>>want to get rid of the ad banner at the top).  If you use KDE you should
>>definitely look at Konqueror.  And I'm sure others will suggest their
>>favorites as well...

> Ok, thank you. Now, how do i make this fbsd install
> run linux binaries ? During setup i did choose no
> when asked if i want to make it linux compatible.

if it's 4.4-RELEASE install linux_base from the ports tree
(/usr/ports/emul/linux_base).  linux_base7 is available but only if you
have 4.4-STABLE installed.

Browser fbsd

Post by John Nielse » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 08:21:12

> >>Netscape isn't open-source and they stopped producing FreeBSD binaries
after
> >>4.76 or 4.77.  So if you want to use Netscape, you have to either tweak
the
> >>FreeBSD-native Makefile(s) so the older version will install (basically
> >>comment out the BROKEN line) or enable Linux emulation and run the Linux
> >>version 4.79 or 6.1.

> >>You can compile Mozilla natively on FreeBSD.  Netscape is based on it
> >>anyway..

> >>There are a lot of other browsers out there as well.  My personal
favorite
> >>is Opera, which also requires Linux emulation (and a registration fee if
you
> >>want to get rid of the ad banner at the top).  If you use KDE you should
> >>definitely look at Konqueror.  And I'm sure others will suggest their
> >>favorites as well...

> > Ok, thank you. Now, how do i make this fbsd install
> > run linux binaries ? During setup i did choose no
> > when asked if i want to make it linux compatible.

> if it's 4.4-RELEASE install linux_base from the ports tree
> (/usr/ports/emul/linux_base).  linux_base7 is available but only if you
> have 4.4-STABLE installed.

Or you can install it as a package.  Either way, don't forget to add
"linux_enable=yes" to /etc/rc.conf.  Or you can go back into
/stand/sysinstall and have it do both of the above for you.

JN

Browser fbsd

Post by ` » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 09:34:01

Quote:

> > > Ok, thank you. Now, how do i make this fbsd install
> > > run linux binaries ? During setup i did choose no
> > > when asked if i want to make it linux compatible.

> > if it's 4.4-RELEASE install linux_base from the ports tree
> > (/usr/ports/emul/linux_base).  linux_base7 is available but only if you
> > have 4.4-STABLE installed.

> Or you can install it as a package.  Either way, don't forget to add
> "linux_enable=yes" to /etc/rc.conf.  Or you can go back into
> /stand/sysinstall and have it do both of the above for you.

> JN

hi all

is anyone using opera okay? is it as simple as installing linux
emulation, editing /etc/rc.conf and using the rpm from opera's download
site? which one should i get?

and how and the fonts on it, anti-aliased and that?

any crashes?

howsabout netscape 6.1? i've installed mozilla 0.9.6, but it's a bit
sluggish, even on my 1Ghz Athlon

thanks alot

Browser fbsd

Post by John Nielse » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:46:13

> > > if it's 4.4-RELEASE install linux_base from the ports tree
> > > (/usr/ports/emul/linux_base).  linux_base7 is available but only if
you
> > > have 4.4-STABLE installed.

> > Or you can install it as a package.  Either way, don't forget to add
> > "linux_enable=yes" to /etc/rc.conf.  Or you can go back into
> > /stand/sysinstall and have it do both of the above for you.

> > JN

> hi all

> is anyone using opera okay? is it as simple as installing linux
> emulation, editing /etc/rc.conf and using the rpm from opera's download
> site? which one should i get?

I like opera a lot.  Install it from the ports--it will automatically fetch
what it needs and you don't have to do any tweaking afterwards.  It runs
great on my K6-2 500 box.

Quote:> and how and the fonts on it, anti-aliased and that?

The good-looking (and scalable) fonts are one of the main reasons I like it
so much.

Quote:> any crashes?

Umm... no, come to think of it.

Quote:> howsabout netscape 6.1? i've installed mozilla 0.9.6, but it's a bit
> sluggish, even on my 1Ghz Athlon

Last time I installed Netscape 6.1, the menus were a bit messed up but it
ran okay.  In my experience, Netscape and Mozilla are about equally
sluggish.  YMMV.

Quote:> thanks alot

You're welcome.

JN

Browser fbsd

Post by Michel TALO » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 19:05:06

: is anyone using opera okay? is it as simple as installing linux
: emulation, editing /etc/rc.conf and using the rpm from opera's download
: site? which one should i get?

: and how and the fonts on it, anti-aliased and that?

There is an opera port, you just install it, and it works.
The appearance is very good, in particular it will use TrueType fonts
and antialiasing producing very clean display. Moreover it is extremely
fast and does not crash. You can download a flash plugin and a Java plugin.
I have not been able to make the last one to work unfortunately (but have
not tried enough).
In my opinion it is THE browser to use. An other good browser (but slower)
is Konqueror. Works perfectly with the last KDE2.2.2 release. The Java
applications using a Java port work (but slowly).

: any crashes?

: howsabout netscape 6.1? i've installed mozilla 0.9.6, but it's a bit
: sluggish, even on my 1Ghz Athlon

Netscape is constantly crashing and Mozilla is far too memory hungry
and slow.

: thanks alot

--

Michel TALON

1. Best way to change from FBSD-2.2.7 to FBSD-4.1-stable

On my first disk I'm running FBSD-2.2.7 . My second disk, a 9 Gig disk,
is physically
connected, but still empty. I would like to put FBSD-4.1-stable on my
second disk
and wonder what is the best way to do that. Should I install the new OS
from scratch
or is it more advisable to upgrade from the 2.2.7 version?

Any tips and comments are greatly appreciated.

TIA
Friedhelm
---

2. Cpu Utilization ?

3. HELP: How does a FBSD/FBSD diskless configuration perform booting?

4. Help! - Old Sun Tape Drive

5. FBSD 2.2.2 vs. FBSD 2.2-STABLE

6. linux proxy?

7. looking for open source object browser (besides "oo-browser")

8. Console instead of Chat?????

9. LINKS-Browser as Frontend for Automation, was: Embedded Linux Web Browsers

10. browser cipher strength and browser back button disabling

11. how to make linux browser looks like windows browser

12. A Browser is a Browser

13. pcmcia: IBM Home and Away 10BT-Modem Combo: works under fbsd??