FreeBSD and X-Windows.

Post by Michael Chisa » Sun, 06 Jul 1997 04:00:00

        I recently installed the Walnut Creek version of FreeBSD, and
everything seems to be working fine.  Except for X-Windows.  It's a bit hard
to explain (I'm a unix newbie, so far my only exposure has been to a unix
shell for my ISP), but X-Windows looks almost nothing like what I've seen it
look like (for instance, I noticed they were using it on the Discovery Channel
a couple of hours ago on the Discovery Channel and CNN to show live pictures
of Mars).  Instead, it's a lot less intuitive, and looks like it's running in
640x480x16c, using a 1024x768 virtual screen, whereas I'd like it to run in
800x600x64k, using no virtual screen (like I'm running Win95 currently).  I
believe it might be a problem with my video card setup (I have a Diamond
Stealth64 Video VRAM with an S3 chipset).

        Any help would be appreciated.

--

 "I met a Christian in Christiansands.  A devil in Helsinki."  - Tricky

FreeBSD and X-Windows.

Post by Sue Bla » Sun, 06 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>    Instead, it's a lot less intuitive, and looks like it's running in
> 640x480x16c, using a 1024x768 virtual screen, whereas I'd like it to run in
> 800x600x64k, using no virtual screen (like I'm running Win95 currently).

Here's a quick partial solution.
Use ctrl-alt-+ or ctrl-alt-- to cycle through screen resolutions.
Use ctrl-alt-backspace to get out of X when there's no other way.

As far as how many colours... I'm still working on that :-)
Typing 'startx bpp 16' or something like that used to work (?)

If it looks and feels horrible, you've probably got the default "twm" as
your window manager. Use another one. I installed afterstep and like it, but
there's many other good ones, including some that are a bit like win95.

Read your chosen window manager's man pages, edit some configuration files,
and you can make that screen look and feel like anything you ever dreamed
of. It's one of the most rewarding hard slogs you'll ever encounter.

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

FreeBSD and X-Windows.

Post by Andrew Gordo » Sun, 06 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> As far as how many colours... I'm still working on that :-)
> Typing 'startx bpp 16' or something like that used to work (?)

To be more precise:

startx -- -bpp 16

Hello!

I have 3 questions about X-windows:

Is there a good graphical bases typewriter (not editor) in which
i can write and layout text in x-windows, without using a bunch
of codes as in e.g. latech.

Is it possible to make a telnet like connection in a MS windows
based PC to a unix machine which is capable to run the X-windows
system. So i could use for example Xmaple when I am sitting home
where i dont have unix, but I do have a fast pc and internet.

Is there a special X-windows newsgroup?

Please e-mail me because i cant read the newsgroups so often.

thanks

Sander Zboray
http://gene.wins.uva.nl/~zboray

2. Shared memory problems - caching?

3. X-Windows comes up, when I bring up an Xterm, X-Windows quits

4. NIS user and passwd

5. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

6. Aztech Washington DOES work in Linux

7. Porting to X-Windows App to FreeBSD

8. ksh comparison problem

9. Help with X-Windows (FreeBSD 2.1.6) on installation.

10. X-Windows Startup Problem in FreeBSD 4.6!

11. FreeBSD 2.2.1 and configuring for X-Windows on a NEC VERSA 4230 Notebook.

12. X-Windows help in FreeBSD 3.1 Release

13. FreeBSD and X-Windows