mount

Post by Serebro Deni » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

   Hi.

Can someone tell me how user can mount device without sudo ?

        // DS

mount

Post by pe.. » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>    Hi.
> Can someone tell me how user can mount device without sudo ?

he can't. Unless he get's root-s rights in some way.

What's wrong with sudo ?

>    // DS

Peter H?kanson
Manet Networking      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)

mount

Post by David Malo » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>>    Hi.
>> Can someone tell me how user can mount device without sudo ?
>he can't. Unless he get's root-s rights in some way.

He could do "sysctl -w vfs.usermount=1".

        David.

mount

Post by Christopher Broussar » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

    It is definitely possible to use sudo to mount a device as a user.  As
root
you need to run a program called "visudo".  This modifies a file used by
sudo to give access to non-root users to run binaries as root.
    Check the man page on visudo, but off the top of my head, I think an
entry in the file will take the following format:

    <username>    <computername>:<path to binary>

For example, I think mine looks like

    chris    redwood:/usr/sbin/mount /cdrom/, /usr/sbin/mount /floppy/

or something like that.  I can't remember the exact format, but that should
get you going.

>   Hi.

>Can someone tell me how user can mount device without sudo ?

> // DS

1. mount error: mount only root can mount /dev/cdrom on cdrom

"That should do it.  I hope this was not to long an explaination, but
"I want you to have a fell for what you are doing before doing it.

"Now as to why...
"Most multitasking multiuser Operation system do not let users
"access the mount command.  Linux makes it possible for users
"to use the command, but doesn't give the privilage to automatically.
"Root has to set the priv on a per device basis.

   ... oh wow.  that was great.  thanks ...

"it's not what you see ,
 but in stead notice."

http://www.aniota.com/~twhite

2. testing remsh access

3. NFS mount won't mount at boot, but mount -a works fine.

4. Read-Write

5. mount error: mount only root can mount /dev/cdrom on cdrom

6. masquerading IP's

7. mount: mount point /media/cdrom0 does not exist

8. Establishing shares on Linux bootup?

9. Mounting timeout on NFS mount

10. mount over a mounted fs?

11. Mounting Cdroms in SunOS 4.14 - error unable to mount hsfs

12. CD-ROM mount needs source <--> source needs CD-ROM mount

13. how to mount two harddisk to a single mount pointer?