KDE2 vs KDE1

Post by Snedle » Tue, 01 May 2001 01:33:01

I have installed FBSD 4.3 RELEASE and XF 4.03_3 and KDE 2.1.1

I can get KDM to start but I have to use failsafe not KDE at login and
my .xsession does not startkde, and when I try to go to SU mode for file
manager I get no response.

what is the general feeling for stability for 2.2.1 and XF4?
Does anyone have this all working ok?

KDE2 vs KDE1

Post by R. Follet » Wed, 02 May 2001 02:14:59

> I have installed FBSD 4.3 RELEASE and XF 4.03_3 and KDE 2.1.1

> I can get KDM to start but I have to use failsafe not KDE at login and
> my .xsession does not startkde, and when I try to go to SU mode for file
> manager I get no response.

> what is the general feeling for stability for 2.2.1 and XF4?
> Does anyone have this all working ok?

I was really hoping someone would answer this post as I am intersted most
in the security change that keeps kdesu from running.  I would like to be
able to run file manager in super-user mode under KDE2.x   I don't know if
this is a XFree4.x, a KDE2.x or a FreeBSD4.x issue, but I know for some of
us, it would be nice to have use of the File Manager with su rights.

In answer to your other question, I have been running FBSD4.x stable with
KDE2.1 and Free4.0x for quiite awhile with no stability issues.  I don't
use kdm/xdm for login though I just edit my .xinitrc in my home dir to
start kde when I do a startx.

-
R. Follett

remove the "not" from the e-mail address

KDE2 vs KDE1

Post by Graham Brig » Wed, 02 May 2001 04:18:09

Quote:>I have installed FBSD 4.3 RELEASE and XF 4.03_3 and KDE 2.1.1

>I can get KDM to start but I have to use failsafe not KDE at login and
>my .xsession does not startkde, and when I try to go to SU mode for file
>manager I get no response.

>what is the general feeling for stability for 2.2.1 and XF4?
>Does anyone have this all working ok?

I have a Voodoo 4500 running on FreeBSD 4.3 with XFree86 4.03_3 and KDE
2.1.1 fine. Took some setting up though... Have to work out where to put
Truetype fonts and the like, and how to get anti-aliasing working, but
otherwise it works fine.

Does .xsession contain the line exec startkde? Same goes for .xinitrc (?).

I stuck the kdm program at the end of /etc/rc as I could only run the
XServer as root otherwise, it would fail for other users when logging in at
a text login prompt.

I had to do one thing though:

# cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/
# rm -rf xdm/ (or mv xdm xdm_backup for the nervous or sensible)
# ln -s /etc/X11/xdm xdm

(or whatever, I _always_ forget the ordering of the ln command.)

I also had to do

# XFree86 -configure

 and then copy that into /etc/X11 as XF86Config-4. Be sure to look at the
file generated though...

I also had to, in the home directory:

cp .profile .bashrc

Before .xsession would be run, otherwise I just got a single xterm and nowt
else.

Graham

KDE2 vs KDE1

Post by Qi Wenmi » Wed, 09 May 2001 19:36:55

additionally, when you login in kdm, you must select 'kde' at the login
dialog, not 'default'.

Post by Qi Wenmi » Wed, 09 May 2001 19:32:29

I made the same system on my BSD box. My solution is:

add 'startkde' in .xsession
add 'kde' in .wmrc

then you can login kde 2.1.1 iva kdm

good luck!

Quote:> I have installed FBSD 4.3 RELEASE and XF 4.03_3 and KDE 2.1.1

> I can get KDM to start but I have to use failsafe not KDE at login and
> my .xsession does not startkde, and when I try to go to SU mode for file
> manager I get no response.

> what is the general feeling for stability for 2.2.1 and XF4?
> Does anyone have this all working ok?

1. two kde2 vs kde1 window management problems

Having switched to KDE2 (2.2.2) I now have two window management problems with
a couple of non-kde applications that I didn't have with KDE1.

1) xlbiff has a window that should resize (grow) automatically when new mail
arrives but with kde2 it wont get any bigger than the size it first realizes
at unless you manually stretch it.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

2) Under KDE1 I had an app that placed a small undecorated window at the edge
of the screen.  I did this with:
  kstart "xp -geometry 6x224+0+60" -window xp -sticky -decoration none -nofocus

kstart seems to have changed significantly in KDE2.  Any suggestions on how I
should achieve the same effect now?

cheers
mark

2. magic cookie exchange without authorization dialog box?

3. Libraries Upgrade- KDE2 installation - KDE1 & KDE2 together

4. AIX 4.1 filesize > 1GB

5. kde1.1 vs kde1.1.2

6. Micropolis 9GB drive ok for linux? Experiences?

7. KDE1 and KDE2 in parallel

8. LINUX for the Mac?

9. Install KDE2.0.1 over KDE1.1

10. KDE2.1 over KDE1.1.2

11. KDE1 -> KDE2 porting guide or filter scripts?

12. KDE1 and KDE2 can they coexist?

13. kde2.1 install over kde1.2/rh7.0