install - out of inodes...

Post by walt » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 00:16:23

> Hello.
> FreeBSD-4.5 / i386
> Cx5x86-S 100MHz, 64mb RAM.
> AHA-1542CF
> SCSI harddrives, 1gb, 2.1gb and 2gb

> While installing / extracting ports I get
> /mnt/usr/ports   create/symlink failed
> out of inodes
> no inodes free

> I carried on with the install, and this is the file-system
> after the first reboot.

> $ df -h
> Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/da0s1a    98M    31M    60M    34%    /
> /dev/da1s1b   295M   8.0K   272M     0%    /tmp
> /dev/da0s1e   345M   209M   108M    66%    /usr
> /dev/da2s1e   1.9G    20K   1.8G     0%    /usr/home
> /dev/da0s1f   397M   2.0K   365M     0%    /usr/local
> /dev/da1s1g   394M   2.0K   362M     0%    /usr/obj
> /dev/da1s1e   345M   117M   200M    37%    /usr/ports
> /dev/da1s1f   394M   1.4M   361M     0%    /usr/src
> /dev/da1s1h   394M   1.1M   361M     0%    /var

An inode is used for every file in a filesystem.  The
ports collections consists of lots of small files, so
inodes get used up quickly---more quickly than disk
space.

You can control the number of inodes in a filesystem
only when it is created, AFAIK.  See man newfs.

The other approach would be to leave da1 as one large
filesystem instead of chopping it up into lots of small
pieces which are vulnerable to the inode problem and are
liable to run out of space when there is still lots of
room left in other partitions.

install - out of inodes...

Post by Paul Southwor » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 00:32:13

>While installing / extracting ports I get
>/mnt/usr/ports   create/symlink failed
>out of inodes
>no inodes free

'df -i' will tell you inodes used and inodes free.

Quote:>I picked 'smallest ' when I installed and picked 'ports'
>later.

>Any advices anyone..?

Here's how I would deal with it:

1. Do the install the same way but skip the ports dist
2. Boot the system up, unmount /usr/ports, and newfs it
   again.  In the newfs man page, you need to look at the '-i'
   option to change the number of bytes per inode.  You need
   to decrease the '-i' value.  The '-N' flag can be used to
   do a dry run without touching the partition, which will show
   you some of the parameters that newfs has chosen - you can
   then override those parameters however you please.
3. Remount /usr/ports and unpack the ports dist.

You can probably also specify the necessary newfs options during
sysinstall but knowing how to use newfs by hand is a good thing,
so making the changes post-install is not a bad idea anyway.

--Paul

install - out of inodes...

Post by Michael Sierchi » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 01:54:58

>>out of inodes
>>no inodes free

> 'df -i' will tell you inodes used and inodes free.

File systems with many small files will run out of inodes before
file space.  The glib solution is: "dump, newfs w/appropriate
options, restore" -- if you have some medium you can dump to.

1. I have filled up with inodes on /usr, can I change inode withour reinstall?

I have FreeBSD 4.5, a recent install. When trying to install Pine, and a couple of small apps, I
ran into inode trouble.
I am full of inodes in /usr and have searched everywhere for information about it.
The best so far is http://www.freebsddiary.org/inodes.php
However, I do not know if it is possible to change inode on /usr without corrupting what's there
already? Is it, and if so how?
Furthermore, if it isn't possible, how do I change the inode during sysinstall? I don't think I
have seen it anywhere.

Another inode question. when using the pc, will the inodes slowly increase until I have filled it
again?
I am concerned that after xx months of use, I decide to install another application, and i run
into the same problem again.
If I delete an application, will the inodes connected with that app. disappear, and will it be
available for the next app?

So many questions and hopefully so many answers.
Please cc: me if replying.
Thanks in advance for all help.

kolsen
a fresh, and interested new FreeBSD user

2. struct tty_driver

3. grow inodes: inode-max limit reached error.

4. Stop Usenet Censorship and Totalitarianism 4660362075

5. Bad blocks, inodes and .badblocks -> Make root inode 2

6. Replacing KSH or PERL with JAVA

7. Question about deleting inode / drop inode

8. Sound to earphones

9. directory inode from file inode?

10. grow-inodes: inode-max limit reached

11. BSD inodes vs. SYSV inodes?

12. how to access inode structure based on inode number ?

13. fs/inode.c sync fix and fs/ext2/inode.c tidy