detailed description of ports-system?

Post by Martin Anker » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 03:52:25

Is there somewhere a detailed description of how to use the ports-system
correctly? The description in the handbook and ports(7) is a little bit
short, e.g. there seems to be a difference between pkg_delete and make
deinstall, and it I could not find anything about this.

Martinu

Post by Stephen Montgomery-Smit » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 03:58:34

> Is there somewhere a detailed description of how to use the ports-system
> correctly? The description in the handbook and ports(7) is a little bit
> short, e.g. there seems to be a difference between pkg_delete and make
> deinstall, and it I could not find anything about this.

> Martinu

make deinstall is actually the equivalent of "pkg_delete -f".

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith

http://www.math.missouri.edu/~stephen

detailed description of ports-system?

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 05:03:06

On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 18:58:34 GMT

SMS> > Is there somewhere a detailed description of how to use the ports-system
SMS> > correctly? The description in the handbook and ports(7) is a little bit
SMS> > short, e.g. there seems to be a difference between pkg_delete and make

        Hmm the man page claims to be too long :). I think you (Martin not
Stephen) may be suffering from the "It can't be that simple" syndrome. Well
actually - it *is* that simple :)

SMS> > deinstall, and it I could not find anything about this.
SMS> >
SMS> > Martinu
SMS>
SMS> make deinstall is actually the equivalent of "pkg_delete -f".

        It is more than equivalent - it actually runs that command.

--
C:>WIN                                          |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                    |A Better Way To Focus The Sun