editing /etc/rc.conf

Post by zach huan » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:32:18

I had one unmatched " in one line and the machine would stop before
finish booting
msg:

"syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

now how do I edit /etc/rc.conf?

I tried mounting /usr, and su, fine, became root,
but vi or ed would not work because it says:

Read-only file system.
how can I edit it so I can boot?

helllpppppp!

Zack

editing /etc/rc.conf

Post by Devon Rya » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:26:36

> I had one unmatched " in one line and the machine would stop before
> finish booting
> msg:

> "syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
> Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

> now how do I edit /etc/rc.conf?

> I tried mounting /usr, and su, fine, became root,
> but vi or ed would not work because it says:

> Read-only file system.
> how can I edit it so I can boot?

> helllpppppp!

> Zack

man mount, specifically the -u option to update the status of an already
mounted partition.  That should make life easier for you :o)

--

Biology/Neuroscience, Pre-med | http://www.dpryan.com

Deptartment of Anesthesia     | http://airway2.uchicago.edu/houamedlab/

editing /etc/rc.conf

Post by Clemens Hintz » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 18:01:22

Quote:>I had one unmatched " in one line and the machine would stop before
>finish booting

(...)

Quote:>I tried mounting /usr, and su, fine, became root,
>but vi or ed would not work because it says:
>Read-only file system.
>how can I edit it so I can boot?

Did you

  mount -u /

?

this should make / re-mounting writeable. After an error during
booting, / will be mounted read-only.

HTH,
Clemens.

editing /etc/rc.conf

Post by zach huan » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 21:50:17

Thanks so much! it works.... linux is limitless. I have used it for a few
years without screwing up the rc.conf ... so never had to learn this....

Zack

> >I had one unmatched " in one line and the machine would stop before
> >finish booting

> (...)

> >I tried mounting /usr, and su, fine, became root,
> >but vi or ed would not work because it says:

> >Read-only file system.
> >how can I edit it so I can boot?

> Did you

>   mount -u /

> ?

> this should make / re-mounting writeable. After an error during
> booting, / will be mounted read-only.

> HTH,
> Clemens.

editing /etc/rc.conf

#
# "syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
# Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
#
# now how do I edit /etc/rc.conf?

If all you have is a writable root fs, you can use the /bin/ed editor.

# I tried mounting /usr, and su, fine, became root,
# but vi or ed would not work because it says:
#
# Read-only file system.
# how can I edit it so I can boot?

Maybe your root file system (or wherever vi wants to put its temp file)
is still read-only? Remount that fs (/var?) read/write. Then edit to
your liking.

Regards,

        Jens
--
Jens Schweikhardt http://www.schweikhardt.net/

editing /etc/rc.conf

Post by Bill Vermilli » Tue, 26 Mar 2002 01:31:55

Quote:>I had one unmatched " in one line and the machine would stop before
>finish booting
>msg:

>"syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
>Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

>now how do I edit /etc/rc.conf?

>I tried mounting /usr, and su, fine, became root,
>but vi or ed would not work because it says:

>Read-only file system.
>how can I edit it so I can boot?

Reboot into single user mode.

Type  mount -a
edit /etc/rc.conf

reboot

--

editing /etc/rc.conf

Post by jpb » Tue, 26 Mar 2002 03:02:30

You need to remount the root directory as read-write.
Try mount -a /mydevice /
Seem mount(8) for details.
jpb
===