Interesting stuff from InfoWorld

Post by Jesus Monroy, J » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

>Brian Livingston also had something interesting, a link
>to an MS page

>(http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/basics/features/reliability/defau
>lt.asp?site-ntw)

>That shows the results of an independent survey showing how
>often Win95 and NT users have system crashes, and how often
>they call a help desk because of such problems.  I won't
>reveal the details, but I will say that I agree with Brian
>when he says in his column, "these aren't very reassuring
>numbers for 32-bit operating systems that are supposed to
>provide companies with reliability."

    All advocates grab the report before M$ figures out
    this will make stuff grow in the hay.

--
If you have to read the docs, it's broken.
I hate making mistakes.

1. Interesting stuff from InfoWorld

Maggie Biggs has an interesting column in the current
InfoWorld (http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-
bin/displayNew.pl?/biggs/biggs.htm), in which she
addresses the "great divide" between open source
and business developers.  She makes some excellent
points, IMO, like telling business developers to
be open minded and give OS tools a serious test.
She points out that OS proponents should remain
willing to answer questions, "no matter how simple
they may seem", and she also says, "praising open-
source software will not be enough to move Linux
to the desktop.  Embracing and helping your corporate
couterparts will provide the leap forward you need."

Brian Livingston also had something interesting, a link
to an MS page

(http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/basics/features/reliability/defau
lt.asp?site-ntw)

That shows the results of an independent survey showing how
often Win95 and NT users have system crashes, and how often
they call a help desk because of such problems.  I won't
reveal the details, but I will say that I agree with Brian
when he says in his column, "these aren't very reassuring
numbers for 32-bit operating systems that are supposed to
provide companies with reliability."

Lou

2. linux on notebook

3. Interesting arcticle Jan 5 InfoWorld

4. an awk script for...

5. Same wire routing --- interesting stuff

6. how can I detect when send() has been recv()'d?

7. Good stuff Bad Stuff

8. Help with -nooptionpower ?

9. stuff-up in pcmcia/cardbus stuff

10. INFOWORLD article

11. InfoWorld: Caldera 2.2 install "surpasses Windows"