How to implement '.' in email addresses?

How to implement '.' in email addresses?

Post by William Won » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 02:26:53

Hi,
I would like to allow the period '.' in email addresses. For example,

If my DNS entry is IN MX 10 mail.some.domain.com then

a user called william.wong of the host mail.some.domain.com. However,
I could not create an user account with '.' as a legal character. So can
william.wong
be mapped to an account, say wwong, in mail.some.domain.com? Or any other
way to do that? How about the relay configuration to support this?

Thanks in advance.

William

Post by Tony Curti » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 02:38:37

>> On Fri, 17 Aug 2001 01:26:53 +0800,

> Hi, I would like to allow the period '.' in email

See the man page for aliases(5)

hth
Beep beep!  Out of my way, I'm a motorist!

How to implement '.' in email addresses?

Post by MStrongM » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 04:24:21

I'll trying this one ... . Hey all those simple devices like keyboards,
graphics cards, and mouse need to be configured properly.

Sometimes it's has 105 keys when you said 102. And refresh rate for your screen
blows the whole thing. Mouse is best AUTO. (That's what they tell me.)

---------
I'm mister but don't call me this anymore. Are cans better than fresh?

Post by Per Hedela » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 09:39:21

>I would like to allow the period '.' in email addresses. For example,

>If my DNS entry is IN MX 10 mail.some.domain.com then

>a user called william.wong of the host mail.some.domain.com. However,
>I could not create an user account with '.' as a legal character. So can
>william.wong
>be mapped to an account, say wwong, in mail.some.domain.com? Or any other
>way to do that?

As has already been pointed out, aliases is the way to do this.

Quote:> How about the relay configuration to support this?

There is none needed, since no relaying is taking place - the mail is
delivered locally. You'd typically add the domain name (some.domain.com)
to /etc/mail/local-host-names (or it could be /etc/sendmail.cw, depends
on your version of sendmail which unless you've installed a different/
newer version depends on your version of FreeBSD) to have it recognized
as "local", but this has nothing to do with the period-in-username
issue.

--Per Hedeland

How to implement '.' in email addresses?

Have you tried GECOS field matching from the sendmail.cf file?

--

===
Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.

1. What're '!'and'%' in email address

        I get 'xtiff.tar.z' from mirrors site , but I found bug in it and
I want to contact with owner of packages. His email are :

        I mail messages to him several times but he's very quite.
If anyone have a way to contact him please mail to me.

        Another problem : I want to contact someone by email but
his email address consists of symbol '%' or '!' that when I send
mail to him then the mail return to me because unknown user host.
Mail address is wrong , or I send it wrong method.

                                Thanks.

2. AnswerBook2 Solaris v7 x86 install woes

3. What is '%'and'!' in email address

4. Serial port conditioning

5. cancels in 'big8 ' for 'munged' email addresses?

6. comp.unix.admin.large

7. Is different 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac Address' ?

8. HELP PLEASE!!! gtk and imlib

10. Implement '<'or '>' system commands in C

11. configuring sendmail to handle '@' in e-mail addresses

12. Email: Difference between 'sender' and 'from'?

13. How to email from internet site to 'uucp' and 'bitnet' ?