Mail server ( I am new to unix)

Mail server ( I am new to unix)

Post by Jean Doyo » Wed, 22 May 2002 23:23:13



Hi,

I would like to run a small mail server from my home. This is not for
commercial purpose, but to gain experience into building a small service
provider. I dont know what mail server I should use. What would be a good
mail server that would deal with POP3 as well as SMTP? I would also like to
install a web interface (kinda like hotmail).

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

 
 
 

Mail server ( I am new to unix)

Post by Mark Cammidg » Thu, 23 May 2002 00:11:03


Quote:> provider. I dont know what mail server I should use. What would be a good
> mail server that would deal with POP3 as well as SMTP? I would also like to
> install a web interface (kinda like hotmail).

No mail server that I know of (for FreeBSD) has all of these features.  You'll
have to use a few products together.

For the outgoing mail, use sendmail.  It comes as part of the default FreeBSD
install.  Just set your 'smart_host' to your ISP's mail server if you're going to
be sending mail externally.

For incoming mail, use qpopper, cucipop, or uw-pop.  I suggest cucipop.  It's
very easy to set up. Note that only local
mail will be delivered locally.  If you want to be able to receive mail from outside
your local network, you'll need to use fetchmail to fetch your mail from your
ISP.

For WebMail, use phpgroupware or horde + imp.  You'll also need a web
server, almost certainly Apache.

This will probably not be a smooth process - there's a lot of learning involved
in setting up these things.

Mark

 
 
 

Mail server ( I am new to unix)

Post by Jean Doyo » Thu, 23 May 2002 00:47:26


I am ready for it!

Thank you very much Mark!

Jean Doyon



Quote:> > provider. I dont know what mail server I should use. What would be a
good
> > mail server that would deal with POP3 as well as SMTP? I would also like
to
> > install a web interface (kinda like hotmail).

> No mail server that I know of (for FreeBSD) has all of these features.
You'll
> have to use a few products together.

> For the outgoing mail, use sendmail.  It comes as part of the default
FreeBSD
> install.  Just set your 'smart_host' to your ISP's mail server if you're
going to
> be sending mail externally.

> For incoming mail, use qpopper, cucipop, or uw-pop.  I suggest cucipop.
It's
> very easy to set up. Note that only local
> mail will be delivered locally.  If you want to be able to receive mail
from outside
> your local network, you'll need to use fetchmail to fetch your mail from
your
> ISP.

> For WebMail, use phpgroupware or horde + imp.  You'll also need a web
> server, almost certainly Apache.

> This will probably not be a smooth process - there's a lot of learning
involved
> in setting up these things.

> Mark

 
 
 

Mail server ( I am new to unix)

Post by Axel Grune » Thu, 23 May 2002 01:46:27


On Tue, 21 May 2002 10:23:13 -0400


> I would like to run a small mail server from my home. This is not for
> commercial purpose, but to gain experience into building a small
> service provider. I dont know what mail server I should use. What
> would be a good mail server that would deal with POP3 as well as SMTP?
> I would also like to install a web interface (kinda like hotmail).

Use sendmail (in the base installation) for smtp
fetchmail (in the ports) for pop3
procmail (in the ports) for filtering mails

Use google to find out how it is working
Or send me an email, i can explain you that (i will post it in the ng)

asg

 
 
 

Mail server ( I am new to unix)

Post by Raymond Doetje » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 03:40:44


See http://www.phonax.com it describes how to configure either Sendmail
or Postfix. The latter is the most friendly fastest and more reliable.
Another option is Exim, but when I put Exim to the stress test it
dissapointed me, it dropped emails and connects without any warnings,
not really reliable, but for a small situation (10000) mails a day it's
suitable.

>Hi,

>I would like to run a small mail server from my home. This is not for
>commercial purpose, but to gain experience into building a small service
>provider. I dont know what mail server I should use. What would be a good
>mail server that would deal with POP3 as well as SMTP? I would also like to
>install a web interface (kinda like hotmail).

>Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.