Problems with laptop and PCMCIA NICS

Post by Gary Lu » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 07:17:35

I am trying to run IPFW/NATD on a laptop with 2 nics. 1 NIC is a
Megahertz 10bt XJACK (sn1) and the other is a 3com ccem556 10/100
(EP0). I'm
having a couple of problems. SN1 is to be outside and the 3com for
inside.
Static IP's for both

Both cards will have the same IP address. I looked at rc.conf and at
beginning they are being configured ifconfig_epo (IP,netmask)., and
ifconfig_sn1 (ip,netmask).... A few lines down there is another two
listings of pccard_ifconfig (ip,netmask)......  When doing an ifconfig
-a it would show BOTH as having the same IP address. I appended the
pccard_ifconfig with "_ep0" and "_sn1"  (now reads pccard_ifconfig_ep0)
and it seems to be holding the correct IP for each  but the default
router is not being configured. I can add the "route add default "DSL
box IP" and a netstat -rn will now show the default route but I can't
ping the DSL box or anything outside "error, host is down"
   However, if I switch the cards and put SN1 in pccard 0, I have no
problems getting out BUT the (EP0) card does not get recognized.  I get
an error message saying that the database does not have an entry for the
card (null) (null). I get the same errors with my 574BT card.

  Any ideas? ANy help would be appreciated :)

Thanks
Gary

Problems with laptop and PCMCIA NICS

Post by NOS.. » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 23:32:54

While I can't help you with the card detection issue, I can address
your networking problem.  You can't have two NICs with the same IP
address and expect to route through them.  Which NIC can actually
talk to the default router?  The routing engine doesn't know, and
you'd have a hard time telling it.  You need two seperate physical
networks to route through the box.

> I am trying to run IPFW/NATD on a laptop with 2 nics. 1 NIC is a
> Megahertz 10bt XJACK (sn1) and the other is a 3com ccem556 10/100
> (EP0). I'm
> having a couple of problems. SN1 is to be outside and the 3com for
> inside.
> Static IP's for both

> Both cards will have the same IP address. I looked at rc.conf and at
> beginning they are being configured ifconfig_epo (IP,netmask)., and
> ifconfig_sn1 (ip,netmask).... A few lines down there is another two
> listings of pccard_ifconfig (ip,netmask)......  When doing an ifconfig
> -a it would show BOTH as having the same IP address. I appended the
> pccard_ifconfig with "_ep0" and "_sn1"  (now reads pccard_ifconfig_ep0)
> and it seems to be holding the correct IP for each  but the default
> router is not being configured. I can add the "route add default "DSL
> box IP" and a netstat -rn will now show the default route but I can't
> ping the DSL box or anything outside "error, host is down"
>   However, if I switch the cards and put SN1 in pccard 0, I have no
> problems getting out BUT the (EP0) card does not get recognized.  I get
> an error message saying that the database does not have an entry for the
> card (null) (null). I get the same errors with my 574BT card.

>  Any ideas? ANy help would be appreciated :)

> Thanks
> Gary

Problems with laptop and PCMCIA NICS

Post by Gary Lu » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 02:42:33

No, I do realize that it needs two seperate IP's. Just as a side note, I have
a working desktop acting as firewall already so unless I mistyped a rule or
setting somewhere, I don't think it's User error  What seems to be happening
is the PC card  detection is messing up the config of the NICS. I thought I
had it figured out by appending the dev name to the pccard_ifconfig line in
RC.conf. It does show two seperate IP's. but I can't talk to the network that
is associated with the NIC that is in slot 1.
   LAst nite, I reconfigured to have EP0 be the outside and SN1 be the
internal. Both will be configured with the correct IP. I can ping out but I
can't ping internal, nor get out from anothe box. Error is either NOTHING or
"host is down" I used the default "Open" firewall rules and I do have "default
to accept in kernel".
  As for the PCCARD detection, I followed the advice that someoen else said
and put the pccard.conf in etc. Still the same. I also tried a 589c, a 589d, a
556, and a 574 in slot one and all give the same error " no match in database"
BUT they are recognized in slot 0. The Megahertz IS recognized in slot 1.

Hmmmmm....

> While I can't help you with the card detection issue, I can address
> your networking problem.  You can't have two NICs with the same IP
> address and expect to route through them.  Which NIC can actually
> talk to the default router?  The routing engine doesn't know, and
> you'd have a hard time telling it.  You need two seperate physical
> networks to route through the box.

> > I am trying to run IPFW/NATD on a laptop with 2 nics. 1 NIC is a
> > Megahertz 10bt XJACK (sn1) and the other is a 3com ccem556 10/100
> > (EP0). I'm
> > having a couple of problems. SN1 is to be outside and the 3com for
> > inside.
> > Static IP's for both

> > Both cards will have the same IP address. I looked at rc.conf and at
> > beginning they are being configured ifconfig_epo (IP,netmask)., and
> > ifconfig_sn1 (ip,netmask).... A few lines down there is another two
> > listings of pccard_ifconfig (ip,netmask)......  When doing an ifconfig
> > -a it would show BOTH as having the same IP address. I appended the
> > pccard_ifconfig with "_ep0" and "_sn1"  (now reads pccard_ifconfig_ep0)
> > and it seems to be holding the correct IP for each  but the default
> > router is not being configured. I can add the "route add default "DSL
> > box IP" and a netstat -rn will now show the default route but I can't
> > ping the DSL box or anything outside "error, host is down"
> >   However, if I switch the cards and put SN1 in pccard 0, I have no
> > problems getting out BUT the (EP0) card does not get recognized.  I get
> > an error message saying that the database does not have an entry for the
> > card (null) (null). I get the same errors with my 574BT card.

> >  Any ideas? ANy help would be appreciated :)

> > Thanks
> > Gary

Problems with laptop and PCMCIA NICS

Post by Richard Cale » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 02:52:39

Don't know if this is relevent, but:

I had problems getting a laptop (Thinkpad) set up as a router with
4.4. As you describe the second slot was not being seen. Upgrading to
the latest STABLE solved the problem.

BTW, as a work around while you try and find the real problem you
might use IP over the parallel port as the internal connection. That
may let you see if there is a non-card related problem on top of the
card identification problem confusing things.

--

                                                 |<

Problems with laptop and PCMCIA NICS

Post by Gary Lu » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 03:17:07

Stable? Or current?
   I read somewhere else that 5.0 has Cardbus support and I was mulling
over installing that to see if it worked. My biggest concern is the fact
that this will be my "production router" and I'd be more comfortable
using a "stable"

Post by jp » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 06:44:45

> My biggest concern is the fact
> that this will be my "production router" and I'd be more comfortable
> using a "stable"

A ``production router'' on _a laptop_?

Problems with laptop and PCMCIA NICS

Post by Gary Lu » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 07:37:38

well, a  HOME production router.  Besides, a laptop is actually not a bad
idea. It's small and quiet, you can throw it in a close someplace and leave
it. No need for monitor, keyboard or mouse (yeah, I know I could make it
headless, but...) Power consumption is a LOT less than a standard desktop
AND it was built in power backup.

Post by jp » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:16:17

> well, a  HOME production router.i

Makes a difference, doesn't it? :-)

Quote:>  Besides, a laptop is actually not a bad
> idea. It's small and quiet, you can throw it in a close someplace and leave
> it. [...]

Sure, sure. I know there are a lot of people running it at home.
It was more of an ObNote that laptops are not made as routers[0]
so it wouln't really be a real smart idea to do this in a `real'
production environment.

[0] Or to run 24/7, for that matter.

Post by Michel TALO » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:52:24

:> My biggest concern is the fact
:> that this will be my "production router" and I'd be more comfortable
:> using a "stable"

: A ``production router'' on _a laptop_?

This has the advantage of built in UPS, and little noise if you put
it in your bedroom.

: --
:  j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .

--

Michel TALON

Problems with laptop and PCMCIA NICS

Post by jp » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 02:24:59

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:52:24 +0000 (UTC),

>:> My biggest concern is the fact
>:> that this will be my "production router" and I'd be more comfortable
>:> using a "stable"

>: A ``production router'' on _a laptop_?

> This has the advantage of built in UPS, and little noise if you put
> it in your bedroom.

Do you farm your production servers in your bedroom then?

Problems with laptop and PCMCIA NICS

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 04:02:09

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:44:45 +0000 (UTC)

J> > My biggest concern is the fact
J> > that this will be my "production router" and I'd be more comfortable
J> > using a "stable"
J>
J> A ``production router'' on _a laptop_?

        It isn't insane. A laptop has small size, low power consumption and
built in UPS going for it, also most of the time you don't need a console
to the router, but when you do it flips up ready to use. As long as you can
get enough interfaces and bandwidth to the box it makes some sense. You do
need a laptop which is not prone to overheating when run continuously which
puts some out of the running.

--
C:>WIN                                          |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                    |A Better Way To Focus The Sun
                                                |   http://www.sohara.org/

Problems with laptop and PCMCIA NICS

Post by Wade Blackwel » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 04:11:16

Good afternoon Steve,
    I just saw your link (to sohara.com), very nice!  It is hard to find good
information on solar products.  Especially when your budget is not an industrial
one!!  Just wanted to let you know that the information is great, thanks!!

    Wade B

--
Wade Blackwell

Resume, Word format http://www.bablam.com/Resumewb.doc
Resume, html format http://www.bablam.com/Resumewb.htm
Consulting Page http://www.bablam.com/consulting
Aol & Yahoo instant messanger csewadeb

Problems with laptop and PCMCIA NICS

Post by Gary Lu » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 07:27:29

Rich,
  You mentioned a Parallel port connection. DO you mean something like
those Xircom adaptors that I've seen and always thought were kinda funny.
What's the thoughput on those? and how easy is it to setup?
  AS for the NIC problems, I've upgraded to 4.5 RC1 but I'm still having
the same issues. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the second slot being
bad

> Don't know if this is relevent, but:

> I had problems getting a laptop (Thinkpad) set up as a router with
> 4.4. As you describe the second slot was not being seen. Upgrading to
> the latest STABLE solved the problem.

> BTW, as a work around while you try and find the real problem you
> might use IP over the parallel port as the internal connection. That
> may let you see if there is a non-card related problem on top of the
> card identification problem confusing things.

> --

>                                                  |<

Problems with laptop and PCMCIA NICS

Post by Richard Cale » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 08:12:01

gl> You mentioned a Parallel port connection. DO you mean something like
gl> those Xircom adaptors that I've seen and always thought were kinda
gl> funny.

No, just a paralle port cable. Usually sold as Laplink cables. With
one of those you can connect 2 FBSD machines (or FBSD to linux I
think) and run an IP connection over it. See man plip.

I did that for a while while I was waiting for a second PC card NIC to
arrive (I'd bought two the same and at least at the time that was too
much for FBSD's little brain, dunno if they fixed that yet).

of course it only makes sense if you plan to get the laptop running as
a router properly eventually, otherwise you'd just put an extra NIC in
the other box.

--

                                                 |<

Problems with laptop and PCMCIA NICS

Post by Gary Lu » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 08:37:42

Nah.... that wouldn't be doable then since I'm goign to have about 4
machines behind the box. I can hook the DSL up to USB tho...... Course it
would be nice to just do it with NICs tho..... Sigh.....

> gl> You mentioned a Parallel port connection. DO you mean something like
> gl> those Xircom adaptors that I've seen and always thought were kinda
> gl> funny.

> No, just a paralle port cable. Usually sold as Laplink cables. With
> one of those you can connect 2 FBSD machines (or FBSD to linux I
> think) and run an IP connection over it. See man plip.

> I did that for a while while I was waiting for a second PC card NIC to
> arrive (I'd bought two the same and at least at the time that was too
> much for FBSD's little brain, dunno if they fixed that yet).

> of course it only makes sense if you plan to get the laptop running as
> a router properly eventually, otherwise you'd just put an extra NIC in
> the other box.

> --

>                                                  |<

1. docking station nic and pcmcia nic problems

I have a Micron Transport XPE with a docking station and built in NIC (AMD
PCNet).  Also have a PCMCIA Megahertz Ethernet/modem card.  The networking
for the docking station nic fails to start.  The pcmcia card works fine when
it is plugged in, which it usually is.  I've looked at several scripts to
see why the one nic won't start.  /etc/sysconfig/network checks
(/etc/sysconfig/pcmcia) to see if there is a pcmcia device (line
pcmcia=yes).  If it finds it, it skips the eth loop and never starts the
nic.  If I change the pcmcia script to be pcmcia=no, then the nic starts
and, of course, the pcmcia card doesn't.

Does anyone else have this problem and is there a work around or fix?
I'd like to have both working.  My linux kernel is 2.0.33

2. Installing Linux

3. Toshiba Tecra laptop with 3Com Officeconnect PCMCIA NIC

4. We have another WINNER

5. Laptop w/ 2 PCMCIA NICS being given same IRQ

6. Does linux support the Aiwa td811 tape backup?

7. Dumb PCMCIA/laptop/NIC question

8. about cdrw and cdrtools

9. laptop pcmcia NIC

10. laptop: add APM, lose PCMCIA NIC!

11. config and use PCMCIA NIC on laptop (newbie question)

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.

13. IBM TP750CS Laptop, PCMCIA SCSI setup/install problem