Modems

Post by JR » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 00:36:18

Been into FreeBSD for a few years now but have always been blessed with
broadband connection.
I want to experiment with modem connections. I am under the impression that
any HW modem can be used, which makes sense, but I would like a bit of input
before I go out and have to buy a dozen modems, looking for compatibility.
FBSD 4.7 on a P III Asus.
Thanx
JR

Modems

Post by Mike Tod » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 08:00:12

JR,

I have used U. S. Robotics, Zoom, and Hayes modems with no problem on
FreeBSD versions from 3.1 through 4.7.  I've used them both for dialing out
and receiving calls.  I'm sure others will work but I'm just sharing my own
experience.

--

Mike Todd
Director, Engineering, GServices www.gservices.info

President, Mike Todd Associates www.MikeTodd.com
Supporting the Digital Coast

President, Internet Society Los Angeles Chapter www.ISOC-LosAngeles.org

Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology Law
Pepperdine University Law School

Post by BSean » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 11:42:09

> Been into FreeBSD for a few years now but have always been blessed with
> broadband connection.
> I want to experiment with modem connections. I am under the impression
> that any HW modem can be used, which makes sense, but I would like a bit
> of input before I go out and have to buy a dozen modems, looking for
> compatibility. FBSD 4.7 on a P III Asus.
> Thanx
> JR

I'm using a SwanSmart external modem. Have had no problems with it. I
believe you'll find most, if not all, modems work just fine. All but
winmodems of course.

--
Nothing is achieved without trying

http://seane.connexus.net.au

Modems

Post by Mykroft Holmes I » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 18:58:31

Any External Serial modem will work fine.

--Adam

Quote:> Been into FreeBSD for a few years now but have always been blessed with
> broadband connection.
> I want to experiment with modem connections. I am under the impression
that
> any HW modem can be used, which makes sense, but I would like a bit of
input
> before I go out and have to buy a dozen modems, looking for compatibility.
> FBSD 4.7 on a P III Asus.
> Thanx
> JR

Modems

Post by JR » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 07:23:36

> Any External Serial modem will work fine.

> --Adam

> > Been into FreeBSD for a few years now but have always been blessed with
> > broadband connection.
> > I want to experiment with modem connections. I am under the impression
> that
> > any HW modem can be used, which makes sense, but I would like a bit of
> input
> > before I go out and have to buy a dozen modems, looking for
compatibility.
> > FBSD 4.7 on a P III Asus.
> > Thanx
> > JR

I was more concerned with internal hardware modems, but it appears that any
should work.
Thanx for the input.
JR

Modems

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 04:55:51

>> Any External Serial modem will work fine.

>> --Adam

>> > Been into FreeBSD for a few years now but have always been blessed with
>> > broadband connection.
>> > I want to experiment with modem connections. I am under the impression
>> that
>> > any HW modem can be used, which makes sense, but I would like a bit of
>> input
>> > before I go out and have to buy a dozen modems, looking for
>compatibility.
>> > FBSD 4.7 on a P III Asus.
>I was more concerned with internal hardware modems, but it
>appears that any should work.

Just remember that if you use an internal modem a lightning hit
would directly connect mother nature to your motherboard - often
with disastrous results.

--

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. LOGGING SYSLOG MESSAGES TO ANOTHER MACHINE - CAN'T GET TO WORK

3. Modems, modems, modems

4. HELP! pppd hangsup!

5. Modem, modem, modem, ... setup

6. SLIP over Pseudo-TTY

7. modems modems modems

8. How to setup DHCP client for SUSE6.1??

9. Modem, modem, modem

10. Where to find Kermit, X-Modem, Y-Modem, & Z-Modem Source

11. Changing from Internal Modem to External Modem

12. Modem gives "Sorry, modem is not responding"

13. Modem Driver: Creative Modem Blaster PCI DI5791