AGP video card & IDE ZIP drive

Post by Gregory LeBaro » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

I've got a new Dell 300 with an AGP video card (STB velocity 128) and an
internal IDE ZIP drive. Are these going to cause me any grief when
installing FreeBSD?

AGP video card & IDE ZIP drive

Post by Christian M. Hansso » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

The graphics cards should be fine, you'll even get an accelerated X server
for the Riva 128 chipset.. Atleast I THINK that is what the STB Velocity
128 uses. The AGP should not be any grief, but since I have not had any
experience with it, I cannot say for sure. I'm told 2.2.6 supports it
though.. the FAQ at www.freebsd.org should tell you.

The ZIP drive on the other hand I have heard nothing but horror stories
about, the recommendation.. take it out and sell it. Get a SCSO Jaz drive
instead. FreeBSD 2.2.6 sees it as any other SCSI disk, and I can change
media by just 'umount'ing it first and then mounting it back after
I changed the media.

Let me know how it goes with the AGP card though, would you?

CMH

> I've got a new Dell 300 with an AGP video card (STB velocity 128) and an
> internal IDE ZIP drive. Are these going to cause me any grief when
> installing FreeBSD?

AGP video card & IDE ZIP drive

Post by John Saunder » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

>The graphics cards should be fine, you'll even get an accelerated X server
>for the Riva 128 chipset.. Atleast I THINK that is what the STB Velocity
>128 uses. The AGP should not be any grief, but since I have not had any
>experience with it, I cannot say for sure. I'm told 2.2.6 supports it
>though.. the FAQ at www.freebsd.org should tell you.

I can confirm that the RIVA 128 (Diamond Viper V330) AGP works fine.
However the RIVA 128 _requires_ an IRQ unlike other video cards. If
this IRQ gets shared by the PnP BIOS with another device (in my
case my SCSI card) then it's not going to work. It seems that text
mode will work OK, by X locks tight. FWIW Win95 won't boot either.

I actually installed FreeBSD 2.2.5 that came with the old X that
didn't support the RIVA 128. So rather than FTP the entire new X
release I just download the XF_SVGA server from the new version
which got my up and running fine.

--   .   +-------------------------------------------------------+

/  Oz  \ | SCITEC LIMITED   Phone +61294289563  Fax +61294289933 |
\_,--\_/ | "By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends." |
      v  +-------------------------------------------------------+

AGP video card & IDE ZIP drive

Post by Gregory Le Baro » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

> for the Riva 128 chipset.. Atleast I THINK that is what the STB Velocity
> 128 uses. The AGP should not be any grief, but since I have not had any

Yeah, that's the chip.

Quote:> The ZIP drive on the other hand I have heard nothing but horror stories
> about, the recommendation.. take it out and sell it. Get a SCSO Jaz drive

That's what I was worried about. I saw a posting from someone suggesting
that
you unplug the drive from the IDE when installing.

Thanks for the help and I'll follow up on the AGP card.

Time to place my order.

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

AGP video card & IDE ZIP drive

Post by frederi.. » Fri, 22 May 1998 04:00:00

On Mon, 11 May 1998 12:15:56 -0400 Gregory Le Baron writes:

: > for the Riva 128 chipset.. Atleast I THINK that is what the STB Velocity
: > 128 uses. The AGP should not be any grief, but since I have not had any
: Yeah, that's the chip.

: > The ZIP drive on the other hand I have heard nothing but horror stories
: > about, the recommendation.. take it out and sell it. Get a SCSO Jaz drive
: That's what I was worried about. I saw a posting from someone suggesting
: that
: you unplug the drive from the IDE when installing.

: Thanks for the help and I'll follow up on the AGP card.

: Time to place my order.

I'm using the STB 128 AGP, and my FreeBSD 2.2.5 freezes when starting the
SVGA server. Not sharing IRQ's. Text works fine.

Post more details soon..

Frederique