big indian-little indian

Post by Travis Steven » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 05:45:35

Hello,

I hope some could help me.

I understand that BSD uses little indian on PC architecture, however I
was curious if little indian was used with BSD on a Solaris.

-Trav

big indian-little indian

Post by Michael Sierchi » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 06:24:09

> Hello,

> I hope some could help me.

> I understand that BSD uses little indian on PC architecture, however I
> was curious if little indian was used with BSD on a Solaris.

Okay, an opportunity to clear up multiple confusions....

It's "endian" and refers to the byte order for multi-byte numbers
in the native representation of the processor.  Intel processors
are little-endian, Motorola and SPARC processors (in Sun machines)
are big-endian, meaning that the most significant byte of a multi-
byte word is at the lowest memory address.

Solaris is an operating system, and runs on SPARC and i386 architectures.
You wouldn't use BSD with Solaris.

big indian-little indian

Post by Donn Mille » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 06:25:49

> Hello,

> I hope some could help me.

> I understand that BSD uses little indian on PC architecture, however I
> was curious if little indian was used with BSD on a Solaris.

It's HW specific, and the operating system conforms to the endian-ness
of the HW.  So, yes, BSD on a SPARC will be big-endian.  I assume that
you mean "SPARC" instead of "Solaris".

big indian-little indian

Post by phil-news-nos.. » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 07:56:28

| It's HW specific, and the operating system conforms to the endian-ness
| of the HW.  So, yes, BSD on a SPARC will be big-endian.  I assume that
| you mean "SPARC" instead of "Solaris".

"will be"?  So does this mean porting is in progress, or at least planned?

| Phil Howard - KA9WGN |   Dallas   | http://linuxhomepage.com/ |

big indian-little indian

Post by Gregory Bon » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:22:10

> "will be"?  So does this mean porting is in progress, or at least planned?

Been talked about, current status seems to be "in limbo".  See the
(almost empty) archives of the freebsd-sparc mailing list.

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=5109+0+archive/2001/free...

Use NetBSD or OpenBSD instead.

big indian-little indian

Post by Steve O'Hara-Smit » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 04:16:17

On 24 Apr 2001 17:22:10 +1000

GB> > "will be"?  So does this mean porting is in progress, or at least planned?
GB>
GB> Been talked about, current status seems to be "in limbo".  See the
GB> (almost empty) archives of the freebsd-sparc mailing list.

        NetBSD OTOH does run on Sparcs and it is big endian when it does.

--
Optimal hardware acceleration for Windows PC (Mac).
   9.81 m/s/s applied for (at least) 2s followed by impact with solid object.

big indian-little indian

Post by Dave Mag » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:50:04

[...]

Quote:> You wouldn't use BSD with Solaris.

How about LSD?

:>

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, 3rd Year Electrical Eng.
Vimes pulled out his watch and stared at it. It was turning out to be one of

1. Little Indian/Big Indian

Hi,

I have a file on Linux(little Indian m/c) and written
some long integer data in file. Now I get this file on solaris
(Big indian ) m/c (via binary ftp).
How can I get same data which I have entered on linux on
solaris m/c?

Basically I want how to convert little indian m/c file
to big indian m/c file and vice a versa.

Thanks,
Sandeep

2. chaintech 9PJL + acs-7500

3. problem of little indian to big indian code

4. Now what do I do???

5. Big/Little Indian

6. Unable to load interpreter???!!!!!

7. determine computer type (big or little indian)

8. KDE2 menu problem

9. Big Endian/Little Indian ?

10. GNU/Linux in the Indian business press..

11. REVIEW: An Indian newsletter on 'software freedom'

12. Indian ?

13. The Windows powered Indian.