newbie - boot-loader problems

Post by walt » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 01:54:10

> I'm having problems installing the FreeBSD boot-loader.

> I've got WinXP installed on my first drive, and am installing BSD on
> the second...
> Anyone know how to install the boot-loader on the MBR so I can simp,y
> either boot XP or BSD?

I use GRUB to do exactly that with no difficulty.  I've never used the
native FBSD booter so I can't give you exact instructions, but
'man boot0cfg' looks promising.

fdisk and disklabel also are able to install boot code so you might
want to take a look at those man pages also.

newbie - boot-loader problems

Post by Michel TALO » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 00:49:23

: Selecting both drives for install, and the boot-loader installs on
: both drives meaning that upon reboot I have to go through two menus to
: boot BSD (first selecting the second-drive boot-loader, then BSD).

This is however the only way to use the FreeBSD boot loader with two disks.
If you are unhappy with that, install grub as boot loader on the first disk.
It will boot directly /boot/loader on the FreeBSD partition of
second disk. This is very easy to setup. You download the grub port.
You make a grub boot floppy. This involves doing
dd if=/usr/local/share/grub/i386-freebsd/stage1 of=/dev/fd0 count=1
dd if=/usr/local/share/grub/i386-freebsd/stage2 of=/dev/fd0 skip=1
in other words stage2 comes next to stage1 on the floppy. You boot the floppy
and play at the grub prompt booting your 2 OS. When you feel confident, there
is a simple command (setup) to install on the hard disk.

grub is a very competent bootloader, similar to the BSD bootblocks.
You have a stage1 which is only 512 bytes and loads stage2 which is a
much bigger loader understanding the filesystems of all *BSD variants,
linux, etc. which allows to boot kernels given by their name. For FreeBSD
you need to load /boot/loader and not the kernel for symbol table reasons.
For Windows you do chainloading, that is you load the Windows boot program
at start of partition.

: Further to this, the bootinst.exe program in the tools directory of
: the cd-rom won't work under XP.

--

Michel TALON

--
&

1. boot loader not showing up; installed boot loader record on /dev/hda2

Hello,
I installed Red Hat 7.3 but installed boot loader record on the first
sector of boot partition (/dev/hda2) instead of /dev/hda Master boot
record. When I restarted my laptop after installation, Grub did not
appear and Windows XP home edition loaded. I am guessing this happened
because I installed Grub in /dev/hda2. How do I go to linux? How do I
copy the bootloader from /dev/hda2 to MBR? Thanks.

2. Linux in Dr. Dobb's Journal

3. Help with restoring /boot/loader.rc & loader.conf files please

4. Virtual servers, multiple cgi-bin

5. Problem booting RH 7.1 using NT boot loader

6. XFree86: will 4.2 support DVI on ATI Radeon?

7. NEWBIE: Error on Install "No /boot/loader" Help!

8. Problem with FIPS11, HELP!

9. NEWBIE: Changing boot loader on RH 7.3

10. Newbie boot loader question using nunimbr

11. I need help booting linux from NT4.0 boot-loader

12. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

13. a newbie problem with vi and dynamic loader