which version for live server ?

Post by Pokerfa » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:26:27

Hi,

What is the best FreeBSD version to use for a live system ?
FreeBsd Release or Current or Stable ?

Kind Regards,
P.

which version for live server ?

Post by Kirk Strause » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 21:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> What is the best FreeBSD version to use for a live system ?
> FreeBsd Release or Current or Stable ?

> Kind Regards,
> P.

From
<URL:http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-sta...>:

"While many of us compile almost daily from FreeBSD-CURRENT sources, there
are periods of time when the sources are literally un-compilable. These
problems are generally resolved as expeditiously as possible, but whether or
not FreeBSD-CURRENT sources bring disaster or greatly desired functionality
can literally be a matter of which part of any given 24 hour period you
grabbed them in!"

STABLE is essentially RELEASE plus any bugfixes that have been made since
the last official release.  Conversely, it's my understanding that RELEASE
is essentially a periodic snapshot of STABLE.

In a nutshell, go with STABLE for servers.
--
Kirk Strauser

Post by Jason Neuman » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 04:23:15

> Hi,

> What is the best FreeBSD version to use for a live system ?
> FreeBsd Release or Current or Stable ?

> Kind Regards,
> P.

I would stick with RELEASE. The reason is that release is really a
snapshot of stable after it has had some time to sit and gel.

As stable progresses it will become a beta and then release candidate
before becoming the next release. The only reason I will track stable is
to fix any security wholes that may have been found since release.

It's a bit confusing, but here is how it works:

CURRENT - BLEADING EDGE!

RELEASE - 'time frozen' stable burned to cdrom

STABLE - last release plus updates, sometimes stable will have problems

STABLE -> NEXT RELEASE progresses this way:

4.4-REL->4.4-STABLE->4.5-BETA->4.5-RELEASE CANDIDATE(RC)->(code
freeze)->4.5-RELEASE (NEW RELEASE CDROM)

Jason

which version for live server ?

Post by Reinoud van Leeuw » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 06:20:25

On Mon, 01 Oct 2001 11:23:15 -0800, Jason Neumann

>> Hi,

>> What is the best FreeBSD version to use for a live system ?
>> FreeBsd Release or Current or Stable ?

>> Kind Regards,
>> P.

>I would stick with RELEASE. The reason is that release is really a
>snapshot of stable after it has had some time to sit and gel.

Well there is another option:
you can lag a little behind STABLE. If you lurk the mailinglist en see
no big problems in STABLE since (for instance) sept 1st, you can cvsup
to stable on sept 1st. It is a non-widely used option in cvsup.
It has the same advantages as the above, but you can upgrade for (for
instance) security reasons more than twice a year.

(if you do not want to use difficult things in cvsup, just cvsup on
sept 1st and wait some time before builing and releasing)

-> *NOT* cc: me as well. If I read the list I will <-
-> receive the reply as well!                      <-

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 21:55:56

>> Hi,
>> What is the best FreeBSD version to use for a live system ?
>> FreeBsd Release or Current or Stable ?
>I would stick with RELEASE. The reason is that release is really a
>snapshot of stable after it has had some time to sit and gel.
>As stable progresses it will become a beta and then release
>candidate before becoming the next release. The only reason I will
>track stable is to fix any security wholes that may have been found
>since release.
>It's a bit confusing, but here is how it works:
>CURRENT - BLEADING EDGE!
>RELEASE - 'time frozen' stable burned to cdrom
>STABLE - last release plus updates, sometimes stable will have problems
>STABLE -> NEXT RELEASE progresses this way:
>4.4-REL->4.4-STABLE->4.5-BETA->4.5-RELEASE CANDIDATE(RC)->(code
>freeze)->4.5-RELEASE (NEW RELEASE CDROM)

Well there is an unlabled one that is a RELEASE with only security
fixes.

A cvsup with the   tag=RELENG_4_4    will get the current RELEASE
plus any changes that relate to security fixes only.  When booted
you'll see inidcations that it is a patched RELEASE.

This came about in the 4_3 RELEASE.

--

Post by mic.. » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 23:20:42

>>> Hi,
>>> What is the best FreeBSD version to use for a live system ?
>>> FreeBsd Release or Current or Stable ?
>>I would stick with RELEASE. The reason is that release is really a
>>snapshot of stable after it has had some time to sit and gel.

I would stick to STABLE 15 days after RELEASE. It was what i was doing
usually and last two times i have installed RELEASE, namely
the 4.3 and 4.4 i have experimented problems. For example sound
did not work on my laptop on 4.4 RELEASE and worked with
STABLE 10 days later.

--
Michel Talon