Dual-boot NT and FreeBSD

Post by Bruce Thornhil » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me (or point me to a FAQ) how to add FreeBSD to an unused
partition on an NT box and use NTLDR to dual-boot to the desired OS?

TIA,
Bruce

Dual-boot NT and FreeBSD

http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ122.html#122

--

Jerry Hicks

Dual-boot NT and FreeBSD

Post by Daniel Peterso » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Unless you really want to use the NT loader, you don't have to, I installed
2.2.7 on an unused partition on my NT box and Boot Easy has no problems
BootEasy labels it an HPFS partition in the boot menu, but that's fine by
me, as long as it loads.

>Can anyone tell me (or point me to a FAQ) how to add FreeBSD to an unused
>partition on an NT box and use NTLDR to dual-boot to the desired OS?

>TIA,
>Bruce

Dual-boot NT and FreeBSD

Post by charles reynold » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hey Bruce!

This is the info I got from Alexander Sanda just a few cycles ago in
this very NG about the same problem....

Paraphrasing Alexander;

use FreeBSD->
        dd if=/dev/wdxx of=/tmp/boootsect.bsd bs=512 count=1
and copy this file to C:\

Then edit boot.ini (configerator file for NT) and add a line similar
to->

        c:\bootsect.bsd="FreeBSD"

I have not had time to try this yet, I'm a full time Road Warrior, but
the process looks good. I've got a couple of weeks off coming up and
this is one of my priority projects.