Help TX Underrrun -- Increasing TX threshold

Help TX Underrrun -- Increasing TX threshold

Post by Robert Picar » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 06:13:44

I am having a problem with my network card, I'm not sure how to fix it or
whats causing it. I had two seperate problems one of wich was fixed by
replacing the NIC and I thought that would fix it too.

The error

dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
dc0: TX underrun -- using store and forward mode

now I can't figure out whats causing this problem heres my setup
ed0 = 10Mbit network card connected to my Cable Modem
dc0 = 10/100Mbit network card connected to my local network

this machine is acting as a router / NAT device using ipfw and natd.

        Rob

Post by Mike Andre » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 06:34:32

: I am having a problem with my network card, I'm not sure how to fix it or
: whats causing it. I had two seperate problems one of wich was fixed by
: replacing the NIC and I thought that would fix it too.

: The error

: dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
: dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
: dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
: dc0: TX underrun -- using store and forward mode

: now I can't figure out whats causing this problem heres my setup
: ed0 = 10Mbit network card connected to my Cable Modem
: dc0 = 10/100Mbit network card connected to my local network

From various discussions here and with others, I think that this
is a pretty general problem: I have it with my de0 NIC, others
have it with various other NICs, and it all appears to be caused
by the CPU not supplying data to the NIC in real time, so that
the NIC's output buffer empties before it should. The software
tries to correct for this, but in some cases has to go all the
way back to an operating mode in which the NIC buffer is fully
loaded before the driver starts writing the data onto the LAN.

--
"And now the traveler's weather report from Luna: Dayside will be
hot, dry, and clear.  Nightside will be cold, dry and clear.

Help TX Underrrun -- Increasing TX threshold

Post by Alex » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 07:10:12

Quote:> I am having a problem with my network card, I'm not sure how to fix it or
> whats causing it. I had two seperate problems one of wich was fixed by
> replacing the NIC and I thought that would fix it too.

> The error

> dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
> dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
> dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
> dc0: TX underrun -- using store and forward mode

> now I can't figure out whats causing this problem heres my setup
> ed0 = 10Mbit network card connected to my Cable Modem
> dc0 = 10/100Mbit network card connected to my local network

> this machine is acting as a router / NAT device using ipfw and natd.

I had the same problem. (ed0 en dc0). Check if thay use the same resouce
(addres space or something).

Alex

Help TX Underrrun -- Increasing TX threshold

Post by Robert Picar » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:45:13

That dosnt make sence, how can more traffic than a Penitum 233 generate on a
50kb/sec connection to the itnernet, it dosnt make any sence to me, any
ideas how i can fix this tho?

Post by Jim Levi » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 20:13:34

> That dosnt make sence, how can more traffic than a Penitum 233 generate on a
> 50kb/sec connection to the itnernet, it dosnt make any sence to me, any
> ideas how i can fix this tho?

Well it makes sense to me. Your Internet link may be 50KB/sec, but it's dc0
that's complaining and that's connected to your internal network (see below).
The message indicated that the system got a little busy and wasn't able to
keep the transmit buffer on the NIC full when an output operation was in
progress. My guess is that your internal network is running at 100Mbps as
that's where I see these kinds of errors on some cards. And the network
activity may that causes this may be unrelated to Internet activity. Are
there any other services running on the firewall that would be used by inside
clients?

As to fixing it... In my experience the problem is more prevalent with the
less sophisticated NICS. Using a pair of more sophisticated cards (read more
expensive) like the Intel EtherExpress PRO or 3Com 3c905's usually eliminates
the problem. In some cases it may be necessary to do a bit of system tuning
to reduce the latency of the box, like adding more ram to reduce swapping.

>> my network card, I'm not sure how to fix it
> or
...snip, snip
>> : now I can't figure out whats causing this problem heres my setup
>> : ed0 =10Mbit network card connected to my Cable Modem
>> : dc0 = 10/100Mbit network card connected to my local network

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed FreeBSD.

Post by Alex » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 01:32:28

> : I am having a problem with my network card, I'm not sure how to fix it
or
> : whats causing it. I had two seperate problems one of wich was fixed by
> : replacing the NIC and I thought that would fix it too.

> : The error

> : dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
> : dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
> : dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
> : dc0: TX underrun -- using store and forward mode

> : now I can't figure out whats causing this problem heres my setup
> : ed0 = 10Mbit network card connected to my Cable Modem
> : dc0 = 10/100Mbit network card connected to my local network

> From various discussions here and with others, I think that this
> is a pretty general problem: I have it with my de0 NIC, others
> have it with various other NICs, and it all appears to be caused
> by the CPU not supplying data to the NIC in real time, so that
> the NIC's output buffer empties before it should. The software
> tries to correct for this, but in some cases has to go all the
> way back to an operating mode in which the NIC buffer is fully
> loaded before the driver starts writing the data onto the LAN.

> --
> "And now the traveler's weather report from Luna: Dayside will be
> hot, dry, and clear.  Nightside will be cold, dry and clear.
> Please dress accordingly."
> -- Danny Sichel, in rasfw

I have had the samething with my xl0 (3com) card, but it works fine now.
Sorry to say that i can't say what i did, since i don't know. But it could
be a resourec confilct.

Alex

Help TX Underrrun -- Increasing TX threshold

Post by Robert Picar » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 06:28:15

Checked resources not the problem, maybe if I put it in the top PCI slot,
i'll try that after I upgrade the ram and vid card

> > : I am having a problem with my network card, I'm not sure how to fix it
> or
> > : whats causing it. I had two seperate problems one of wich was fixed by
> > : replacing the NIC and I thought that would fix it too.

> > : The error

> > : dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
> > : dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
> > : dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
> > : dc0: TX underrun -- using store and forward mode

> > : now I can't figure out whats causing this problem heres my setup
> > : ed0 = 10Mbit network card connected to my Cable Modem
> > : dc0 = 10/100Mbit network card connected to my local network

> > From various discussions here and with others, I think that this
> > is a pretty general problem: I have it with my de0 NIC, others
> > have it with various other NICs, and it all appears to be caused
> > by the CPU not supplying data to the NIC in real time, so that
> > the NIC's output buffer empties before it should. The software
> > tries to correct for this, but in some cases has to go all the
> > way back to an operating mode in which the NIC buffer is fully
> > loaded before the driver starts writing the data onto the LAN.

> > --
> > "And now the traveler's weather report from Luna: Dayside will be
> > hot, dry, and clear.  Nightside will be cold, dry and clear.
> > Please dress accordingly."
> > -- Danny Sichel, in rasfw

> I have had the samething with my xl0 (3com) card, but it works fine now.
> Sorry to say that i can't say what i did, since i don't know. But it could
> be a resourec confilct.

> Alex

Help TX Underrrun -- Increasing TX threshold

Post by Alex » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 07:33:15

I did two things. One i used FreeBSD 4.3 instead of 4.2 and two i chanced
someting om my ed0 card. I think it was the adress spass. It took me over a
month to solve it, and even then i do not fully understand it. So it micht
be a smart thing to just to buy a new NIC, save you a lot of hasle.

> Checked resources not the problem, maybe if I put it in the top PCI slot,
> i'll try that after I upgrade the ram and vid card

> > > : I am having a problem with my network card, I'm not sure how to fix
it
> > or
> > > : whats causing it. I had two seperate problems one of wich was fixed
by
> > > : replacing the NIC and I thought that would fix it too.

> > > : The error

> > > : dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
> > > : dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
> > > : dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold
> > > : dc0: TX underrun -- using store and forward mode

> > > : now I can't figure out whats causing this problem heres my setup
> > > : ed0 = 10Mbit network card connected to my Cable Modem
> > > : dc0 = 10/100Mbit network card connected to my local network

> > > From various discussions here and with others, I think that this
> > > is a pretty general problem: I have it with my de0 NIC, others
> > > have it with various other NICs, and it all appears to be caused
> > > by the CPU not supplying data to the NIC in real time, so that
> > > the NIC's output buffer empties before it should. The software
> > > tries to correct for this, but in some cases has to go all the
> > > way back to an operating mode in which the NIC buffer is fully
> > > loaded before the driver starts writing the data onto the LAN.

> > > --
> > > "And now the traveler's weather report from Luna: Dayside will be
> > > hot, dry, and clear.  Nightside will be cold, dry and clear.
> > > Please dress accordingly."
> > > -- Danny Sichel, in rasfw

> > I have had the samething with my xl0 (3com) card, but it works fine now.
> > Sorry to say that i can't say what i did, since i don't know. But it
could
> > be a resourec confilct.

> > Alex

Help TX Underrrun -- Increasing TX threshold

Post by Jim Ankru » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:00:16

I get that message on occasion also, I'm using 3com cards (3c905tx i think)
anyway what I'd like to know is this. Is this really something to be
concerned about? Except for seeing the message on my screen occasionally I'd
never know anything was wrong. Is there any data corruption or anything like
that associated with this?

Jim

> I did two things. One i used FreeBSD 4.3 instead of 4.2 and two i chanced
> someting om my ed0 card. I think it was the adress spass. It took me over
> month to solve it, and even then i do not fully understand it. So it micht
> be a smart thing to just to buy a new NIC, save you a lot of hasle.

> > Checked resources not the problem, maybe if I put it in the top PCI
slot,
> > i'll try that after I upgrade the ram and vid card

> it
> > > or
> by

> > > I have had the samething with my xl0 (3com) card, but it works fine
now.
> > > Sorry to say that i can't say what i did, since i don't know. But it
> could
> > > be a resourec confilct.

> > > Alex

Help TX Underrrun -- Increasing TX threshold

Post by Robert Picar » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 20:06:29

I have not noticed any data corruption, however I ahve noticed a large loss
in network speed, and I suspect it may have soemthing to do with the
problems i'm having on my win2k box see (is this a FreeBSD problem or a
Win2k Disaster)
But remember, if your getting a error message its because something is
wrong, don't ignore it cause you don't notice anything wrong, thats how you
really can*somethign up ;0)

            Rob

PS: I just upgraded the box to 98MB of ram hoping it would help, alas this
morning I woke up and still have the error MSG.

> I get that message on occasion also, I'm using 3com cards (3c905tx i
think)
> anyway what I'd like to know is this. Is this really something to be
> concerned about? Except for seeing the message on my screen occasionally
I'd
> never know anything was wrong. Is there any data corruption or anything
like
> that associated with this?

> Jim

> > I did two things. One i used FreeBSD 4.3 instead of 4.2 and two i
chanced
> > someting om my ed0 card. I think it was the adress spass. It took me
over
> > month to solve it, and even then i do not fully understand it. So it
micht
> > be a smart thing to just to buy a new NIC, save you a lot of hasle.

> > > Checked resources not the problem, maybe if I put it in the top PCI
> slot,
> > > i'll try that after I upgrade the ram and vid card

> fix
> > it
> fixed
> > by

> now.
> > could

Help TX Underrrun -- Increasing TX threshold

Post by Jim Ankru » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 00:21:21

Hmmmm... I haven't seen any network slowdowns on mine. As for the error, I
guess what I'm really asking is... is it really an "error" that really does
need my attention or merely a "message" something along the lines of "your
swap file wasn't large enough so I made it larger for you"

btw behind my FreeBSD box sits a Win2k box (thats where I'm typing this from
fwiw) so Win2k might have a role in this. I also have Samba shares active,
are you using Samba?

Jim