`Invalid argument' problems with mount_ext2fs

`Invalid argument' problems with mount_ext2fs

Post by Donn Mille » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I'm having a bit of trouble with mount_ext2fs on FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT.
When I mount my two Linux partitions, /dev/wd1s2, and  /dev/wd1s4, I don't
get any error messages from the `mount' command.  But yet, when I cd to
/mnt/usr/include, and do `ls', here's what I get:

ls: include: Invalid argument
ls: info: Invalid argument
ls: ix86-coff: Invalid argument
ls: ix86-linux: Invalid argument
ls: ix86-linuxaout: Invalid argument
ls: libexec: Invalid argument
ls: man: Invalid argument
ls: openwin: Invalid argument
ls: sbin: Invalid argument
ls: share: Invalid argument
ls: src: Invalid argument

I'm assuming this has something to do with the following boot-up error
message:

Aug 10 03:06:36 myname /kernel: wd1s4: raw partition size != slice size

Notice, wd1s4 is the `/usr' partition of my Linux installation.

I get no problems at all with wd1s2, which is the `/root' of my Linux
installation.  I don't get any error messages at all about this
partition's slice size on boot-up, and hence I get no errors with
mount_ext2fs with this slice.

Regarding the raw partition size != slice size problem, is there any
special flags I can pass to mount to make the problem go away?  I don't
know exactly is there's a problem with my partition table on drive two,
but I don't have any problems when running Linux.

-- Donn

1. `Invalid argument' problems with mount_ext2fs

I've never gotten that message when _mounting_ an ext2fs filesystem.  But
during boot-up, I get this:

wd1s4: raw partition size != slice size
wd1s4: start 846720, end 2128895, size 1282176
wd1s4c: start 846720, end 947519, size 100800

No error messages here during mount.

Now, I cd /mnt/usr, and do an ls:

-snip-

ls: ix86-linuxaout: Invalid argument
ls: libexec: Invalid argument
ls: man: Invalid argument
ls: openwin: Invalid argument
ls: sbin: Invalid argument
ls: share: Invalid argument
ls: src: Invalid argument

This seems related to the message I was getting on bootup:

wd1s4: raw partition size != slice size
wd1s4: start 846720, end 2128895, size 1282176
wd1s4c: start 846720, end 947519, size 100800

Maybe when I did fdisk in Linux on these partitions, it did something
off-the-wall that FreeBSD's mount_ext2fs didn't understand.  I don't think
it could be the inode density I've used when formatting my Linux /usr
partition (in this case /mnt/usr).

It probably also depends on the version of FreeBSD you are using.  What
doess uname -sr give you?

FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is what I'm running right now.

I think that ext2fs hasn't been maintained as well as it used to.  Or, in
may case, maybe I did something slightly off the wall in Linux that may be
acceptable to the Linux kernel, but FreeBSD doesn't recognize what I've
done.

Donn

2. New BBS Program in the works

3. Installation problem - 'mount failed: invalid argument' error.

4. src code issue - chunked http

5. diald, chat log error 'Can't get terminal parameters: Invalid argument'

6. X11(on SLS-0.98) works on my trident-8900C card

7. new filesystem problems: "fdisk: can't write fdisk partition table: Invalid argument"

8. hard drive mount

9. ppp dies -- 'tty unlink failed: Invalid argument'

10. Getting "SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument" with 'route add' ...?

11. Exportfs Giving 'Invalid Argument' After Reboot

12. smbmount STILL broken? ('invalid argument')

13. OpenBSD pppd: 'tcsetattr: Invalid argument'