Problems with GDBM, PHP/FI and Apache under FreeBSD

Problems with GDBM, PHP/FI and Apache under FreeBSD

Post by Joachim Str?mbergso » Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Tja!

I'm trying to build PHP/FI as a module for Apache. During the execution
of the 'install' script of PHP/FI I get a warning that no dbm is
installed, and that I should have added at least GDBM for better
performance.

Now, I have the ports collection in my FreeBSD 2.2.1 system and have
performed the 'make install' routine, what it seemes successfully
installed the GDBM on my system. Even though, it seemes that GDBM isn't
registered after all.

Has anybody any clue what to do? Im lost.

--
Cheers!
Joachim - Alltid i harmonisk sv?ngning

977 54 Lule?       C64       phone: +46(0)920 - 22 16 42
Sweden         -FairLight-   alt:   +46(0)10 - 22 10 543

Problems with GDBM, PHP/FI and Apache under FreeBSD

Post by Bill Pa » Sun, 30 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Daring to challenge the will of the almighty Leviam00se, Joachim Str?mbergson

: Tja!

: I'm trying to build PHP/FI as a module for Apache. During the execution
: of the 'install' script of PHP/FI I get a warning that no dbm is
: installed, and that I should have added at least GDBM for better
: performance.

Well, as a matter of fact, FreeBSD does have a database: it has Berkeley DB
built into libc. Berkeley DB also supports a compatibility interface that
makes it look like the older ndbm package found on SunOS and other places.
In order to use it, you need to #include <db.h>. Berkeley DB itself supports
a couple of different database types including hash and b-tree.

If this package of yours supports ndbm, then it should be possible to
hack it to work with the ndbm compat interface in Berkeley DB. You just
need to make it find the db.h header.

: Now, I have the ports collection in my FreeBSD 2.2.1 system and have
: performed the 'make install' routine, what it seemes successfully
: installed the GDBM on my system. Even though, it seemes that GDBM isn't
: registered after all.

I don't know what you mean by 'registered.' If the library in installed,
it should be lurking somewhere under /usr/local/lib. Its header file(s)
should be in /usr/local/include. Check there: if you see them, the it
was installed correctly. That said, you may need to hack the Makefile
for your package so that it knows to look for the library in /usr/local.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager, Master of Unix-Fu

  "Now, that's "Open" as used in the sentence "Open your wallet", right?"

Problems with GDBM, PHP/FI and Apache under FreeBSD

Post by Vincent Ossewaar » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I don't know what you mean by 'registered.' If the library in installed,
>it should be lurking somewhere under /usr/local/lib. Its header file(s)
>should be in /usr/local/include. Check there: if you see them, the it
>was installed correctly. That said, you may need to hack the Makefile
>for your package so that it knows to look for the library in /usr/local.

Well, it doesn't even deserve the word "hack".. Simply add -ldbm with
your module-linking. This could be -lgdbm or -lndbm, according to your
dbm-library...

Vince

Problems with GDBM, PHP/FI and Apache under FreeBSD

Post by Sohail Asl » Tue, 01 Apr 1997 04:00:00

remove the config.cache in php directory. This will cause php's install
to rescan your system with the configure script. It should detect that
gdbm is now installed.

--
Sohail Aslam
Department of Computer Science, Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS)

1. Apache DBAuth / GDBM / PHP/FI

Hi All

I have been banging my head against a way trying to get this lot
working for a few days now and am now very fustrated.

Firstly I managed to use 'dbmmanage' to create 'Berkley DB' style
crypted htpasswd files. All works ok. The problem is that I want to
use GDBM 1.7.3 to be compatible between software.

I am now in the position where I can create and read GDBM files in
Apache (dbmmanage), Perl and PHP/FI.

The problem is when I come to testing the authorisation process using
the AuthDBMUserfile directive, the server won't recognise the user and
password combination and simply logs 'could not open dbm auth file' in
the error log.

I have checked the mod_auth_dbm.c source and found the reference to
the 'ndbm.h' file. When I installed the GDBM I ran the make
install-compat routine which installed these into the correct areas.

Please, please has anyone else tried / completed this kind of set-up,
if so would it be possible for you to help me out on what is causing
the problem.

Many thanks
Paul

PS. Can you please copy any reply to my email address, thanks.

2. ncopy: available on any unix machine?

3. Apache 1.2.4 config/run problem with PHP/FI module.

4. AIX 3.2.5 and y2k

5. Apache PHP/FI module on HPUX?

6. error G3 R5 installation "Find installation files"

7. PHP/FI 2.0.1 as Apache 1.3.6 module

8. Disable NFS_ACL

9. php/fi as module in apache 1.2

10. APACHE with PHP/FI

11. Apache+SSL+PHP/FI+frontpage

12. Apache + PHP/FI + mod_perl incompatibilities

13. apache+oracle+php/fi on HP-UX