Please help me understand IDE device node naming scheme and mounting DOS parts. ??

Please help me understand IDE device node naming scheme and mounting DOS parts. ??

Post by Tom Em » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi everyone.  Just installed FreeBSD 2.2.5-PREREL the other day (I'm a
UNIX newbie) and I finally got PPP working, now I was hoping to mount
an extended DOS partition.

BSD itself is on Secondary Master, and I boot to it using a floppy
with a modified boot.config so it defaults to 1:wd(2,a)kernel.
Primary Master is where the DOS partitions are.  I am hoping to mount
the second 'logical' partition in the MS-DOS extended partition of
that drive.  FWIW there are 5 logical partitions in the DOS extended
partition.  There is nothing on Primary Slave, and a Sony CDU-55E
CDROM on Secondary Slave.

My problem is that I don't have a clue what the proper device node
should be for that partition.  Are partitions and slices the same?
..And what are those nodes that start with 'r'?  I tried a few
different nodes with the mount_msdos command and it gave me a 'bad
argument' or something like that (not quite sure of the exact wording)
regarding the device node.  Can anyone either offer me a quick
explanation of either how nodes are named or what I could be doing
wrong?  ..or a good URL would help too, I didn't see much in the
Handbook and FAQ though.

Thanks for helping a UNIX newbie.. d:-)>

Post by J Wuns » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> BSD itself is on Secondary Master, and I boot to it using a floppy
> with a modified boot.config so it defaults to 1:wd(2,a)kernel.
> Primary Master is where the DOS partitions are.  I am hoping to mount
> the second 'logical' partition in the MS-DOS extended partition of
> that drive.  FWIW there are 5 logical partitions in the DOS extended
> partition.  There is nothing on Primary Slave, and a Sony CDU-55E
> CDROM on Secondary Slave.

> My problem is that I don't have a clue what the proper device node
> should be for that partition.  Are partitions and slices the same?

BIOS/DOS `partitions' and FreeBSD `slices' are the same.  FreeBSD has
partitions of its own (denoted with trailing letters `a' through `h'),
that's why the differentiation.

The first four fdisk table slots per each drive are hard-assigned
(i. e., they have the same numbers whether there's a valid slice on
this fdisk table slot or not) to the slice names (in your example)
wd2s1 through wd2s4.  Additional slices for `logical partitions' will
be available on-demand (i. e., as long as they are really present),
their numbering starts with wd2s5.

Quote:> ..And what are those nodes that start with 'r'?  I tried a few

`raw' device nodes, used for everything else than mounting a
filesystem.  The `buffered' nodes (without the `r') go through the
filesystem buffer cache in the kernel, which is needed for the mount
operation.

--
cheers, J"org

1. DDS2, stinit and device naming scheme

Hello,

I just acquired a Seagate Peregrine CTD8000R-S DDS2 4mm tape drive
(detected as an Archive Python 00095-001 by dip switch setting)
and after going through the stinit docs and the st(4) manpage I'm
still confused about the Linux tape device naming scheme:

- which device enables compression and which is for DDS or DDS2 tapes?
- Any ways of getting more than 8 devices per drive (4 rewind + 4
  norewind)? Is it possible to have fixed/variable blocksize,
  nocompression/compression for *each* of the densities (DDS, DDS-2),
  ie, a total of 16 devices, counting the norewind devices?
- Why is it that if I do 'mt -f /dev/nst0a status' twice in a row
  mt reports a different density for the tape?

SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 1024 bytes. Density code 0x24 (DDS-2).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 1024 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

ugh?

Here's my setup (RH-6.2 with kernel 2.3.99.pre9):

I have the st driver as a module and I initialize with stinit
by having the following line in conf.modules:

post-install st /sbin/stinit

I created the st devices as per the man st(4).

/etc/stinit.def:

manufacturer=ARCHIVE model = "Python 00095-001" {
scsi2logical=1 can-bsr can-partitions auto-lock
mode1 blocksize=0    compression=0 density=0x13
mode2 blocksize=1024 compression=0 density=0x13
mode3 blocksize=0    compression=1 density=0x24
mode4 blocksize=1024 compression=1 density=0x24 }

If I run stinit manually with verbosity, here's what I get:

Trying to open database 'stinit.def'.
Trying to open database '/etc/stinit.def'.
Open succeeded.

stinit, processing tape 0
Mode 0, name '/dev/nst0'
Mode 1, name '/dev/nst0l'
Mode 2, name '/dev/nst0m'
Mode 3, name '/dev/nst0a'
The manufacturer is 'ARCHIVE', product is 'Python 00095-001', and
revision '5.ac'.
Mode 1 definition: scsi2logical=1 can-bsr can-partitions auto-lock
blocksize=0    compression=0 density=0x13
Mode 2 definition: scsi2logical=1 can-bsr can-partitions auto-lock
blocksize=1024 compression=0 density=0x13
Mode 3 definition: scsi2logical=1 can-bsr can-partitions auto-lock
blocksize=0    compression=1 density=0x24
Mode 4 definition: scsi2logical=1 can-bsr can-partitions auto-lock
blocksize=1024 compression=1 density=0x24

TIA,
jf
--
"You are born naked, wet and hungry. Then it gets worse" -Woto

2. G2 Real Producer

3. Suggestion for a New SCSI device naming scheme

4. Trivial C99 patch for fs/libfs.c

5. Making qla2200 ignore node name of the target device

6. definition of avenrun

7. IDE floppy drives and devfs - no device nodes if no disk loaded at boot

8. solaris 7 install problems

9. How to recover an application node and an ADSM node into one node?

10. Slack 3 to 2nd DOS IDE HD ; please help !!

11. Help on mounting a device???please.

12. Please help... mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block device

13. Help On mounting DOS filesystems PLEASE!