PPP server problem (LCP problem?)

Post by Elmar Haa » Tue, 04 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I have problems configuring a PPP server with FreeBSD.
I have a ppp client with user space ppp and FreeBSD 2.2.1
and a ppp server with kernel ppp and FreeBSD 2.2.2
Both machines use a Zyxel Omni TA 128 Modem at /dev/cuaa0

The client works ok and can dial in a Win95 server without
problems. To dial in the FreeBSD server causes some problems.
The problems seems to be with LCP or the modem configuration.

Server:
I use the ppp/options file from the BSD handbook, changed with my domain
and addresses and debug added (crtscts, netmask ..., <ownip>:<remoteip>,
domain ..., passive, modem, debug)
I used kermit with the /etc/ppp/kermit.ans script
(with line /dev/ttyd0 and speed 19200)

I got following messages from the server:
pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
using interface ppp0
connect:ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyd0
last message repeated 4 times
hangup (SIGHUP)
Modem hangup
Exit

Client:
I have set device /dev/cuaa0, speed 19200 and openmode active.
The AT commands for the modem are ATE1Q0B40
I got following messages from the client:
*Connected
LCP: state change Initial --> Closed
LCP: sendConfigReq
  ACFCOMP
  PROTOCOMP
  ACCMAP[6] 00000000
  MRU [4] 1500
  MAGICNUM [6] 2df3efd5
LCP: state change Closed --> Req-Sent
LCP: Received Configure Reject (1) state = Req-Sent (6)
LCP: RecvConfigReq
  ACCMAP[6] 00000000
  MRU [4] 1500
  MAGICNUM [6] 2df3efd5
<The last for lines are 4 times repeated>
LCP: state change Req-Sent --> Stopped
LCP: Layer Finish
Disconnected!

If I use user space ppp at the server side I got the same
behaviour at the client side but no debug info at the server
side. For a short time the getty V19200 ttyd0 process changes
to login -r ?#{?{ or a similar process and then getty is
started again.
Can anybody tell me what's going wrong or give me any hints,
what I can do?

Many thanks
        Elmar

Elmar Haas, Siemens AG, ZT IK 2, Munich, Germany

PPP server problem (LCP problem?)

Post by Brian Some » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

 : Hello,
 :
 : I have problems configuring a PPP server with FreeBSD.
 : I have a ppp client with user space ppp and FreeBSD 2.2.1
 : and a ppp server with kernel ppp and FreeBSD 2.2.2
 : Both machines use a Zyxel Omni TA 128 Modem at /dev/cuaa0

Do Zyxel Omni modems talk ok on 19200 ?  Wierd :-|

[...]
 : ....
 : *Connected
 : LCP: state change Initial --> Closed
 : LCP: sendConfigReq
 :   ACFCOMP
 :   PROTOCOMP
 :   ACCMAP[6] 00000000
 :   MRU [4] 1500
 :   MAGICNUM [6] 2df3efd5
 : LCP: state change Closed --> Req-Sent
 : LCP: Received Configure Reject (1) state = Req-Sent (6)
 : LCP: RecvConfigReq
 :   ACCMAP[6] 00000000
 :   MRU [4] 1500
 :   MAGICNUM [6] 2df3efd5
 : <The last for lines are 4 times repeated>

Eh ?  Are you *sure* that the second config request is the same
as the first (rejected) one ?

Also, isn't the ppp Acking the received Req ?

 : LCP: state change Req-Sent --> Stopped
 : LCP: Layer Finish
 : Disconnected!
 : ....
 :
 :
 : If I use user space ppp at the server side I got the same
 : behaviour at the client side but no debug info at the server
 : side. For a short time the getty V19200 ttyd0 process changes
 : to login -r ?#{?{ or a similar process and then getty is
 : started again.

Do you have a "set login" line in your config ?  Looks like you
don't (or it's mis-typed).

 : Can anybody tell me what's going wrong or give me any hints,
 : what I can do?
 :
 : Many thanks
 :      Elmar

Make sure you're using a recent version of ppp - the latest
is at http://www.freebsd.org/~brian.

If you still have problems, you'd be best to post your config
files and the full LCP log.

--

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>