Where to find 4.7-STABLE sysinstall?

Post by Lee Fulle » Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:41:01

I'd like to do an upgrade to 4.7-STABLE, but can't find where to get the
sysinstall binary, so that I can run it and do the upgrade on my 4.1-STABLE
system.

Can anyone point me to this?

Where to find 4.7-STABLE sysinstall?

Quote:> I'd like to do an upgrade to 4.7-STABLE, but can't find where to get the

http://www.freebsd.org/4.7R/announce.html

--
Steve

Where to find 4.7-STABLE sysinstall?

Post by Lee Fulle » Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:25:20

Get a 404 when I go to that URL.

> > I'd like to do an upgrade to 4.7-STABLE, but can't find where to get the
> > sysinstall binary, so that I can run it and do the upgrade on my
4.1-STABLE
> > system.

> > Can anyone point me to this?

> http://www.freebsd.org/4.7R/announce.html

> --
> Steve

Where to find 4.7-STABLE sysinstall?

Post by Steven G. Kar » Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:43:41

Please, do not top post.

>> > I'd like to do an upgrade to 4.7-STABLE, but can't find where to get the
>> > sysinstall binary, so that I can run it and do the upgrade on my
> 4.1-STABLE
>> > system.

>> > Can anyone point me to this?

>> http://www.freebsd.org/4.7R/announce.html
> Get a 404 when I go to that URL.

Whoops.

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.7R/announce.html

--
Steve

Post by Bill Vermilli » Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:56:20

>I'd like to do an upgrade to 4.7-STABLE, but can't find where
>to get the sysinstall binary, so that I can run it and do the
>upgrade on my 4.1-STABLE system.

If you are running stable I infer that you are running from
sources.  The you could just cvs new sources and compile.  Since
you do have a 4.1 you are going to have to get a new cvsup package
as the old one had a time stamp bug.

Or you could dl the floppy images and perform a binary install on
the base and then cvsup the rest after the upgrade.

--

Post by Lee Fulle » Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:57:31

> Please, do not top post.

> > 4.1-STABLE

> >> http://www.freebsd.org/4.7R/announce.html
> > Get a 404 when I go to that URL.

> Whoops.

> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.7R/announce.html

> --
> Steve

ok..  maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a link to the
4.7-STABLE/RELEASE sysinstall binary anywhere on there.  Lots telling me
where/how I can install.  Nothing really on upgrading other than by floppy
then to ftp/net install, etc.  However, I'm looking for the
4.7-STABLE/RELEASE sysinstall binary that I can download, then run to update
my current 4.1-STABLE release via telnet.

Post by Lee Fulle » Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:01:04

> >I'd like to do an upgrade to 4.7-STABLE, but can't find where
> >to get the sysinstall binary, so that I can run it and do the
> >upgrade on my 4.1-STABLE system.

> If you are running stable I infer that you are running from
> sources.  The you could just cvs new sources and compile.  Since
> you do have a 4.1 you are going to have to get a new cvsup package
> as the old one had a time stamp bug.

> Or you could dl the floppy images and perform a binary install on
> the base and then cvsup the rest after the upgrade.

> --

Hi Bill,

Problem is that I'm telnetting to the machine, which is 300 miles away... so
doing a floppy install isn't an option.  Also, I've never used cvsup, so not
sure how I would even do it.

My understanding is that I can download the 4.7-STABLE sysinstall binary,
run it, and do the upgrade from there.  But, I can't find the dern thing. 8/

Any suggestions?

Thanks....

Post by Ralf Becke » Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:34:57

>> If you are running stable I infer that you are running from
>> sources.  The you could just cvs new sources and compile.  Since
>> you do have a 4.1 you are going to have to get a new cvsup package
>> as the old one had a time stamp bug.

>> Or you could dl the floppy images and perform a binary install on
>> the base and then cvsup the rest after the upgrade.

>> --

> Hi Bill,

> Problem is that I'm telnetting to the machine, which is 300 miles away... so
> doing a floppy install isn't an option.  Also, I've never used cvsup, so not
> sure how I would even do it.

Read the appropriate section in the handbook. Using cvsup and updating
from sources isn't as hard as it seems to be.
Quote:

> My understanding is that I can download the 4.7-STABLE sysinstall binary,
> run it, and do the upgrade from there.  But, I can't find the dern thing. 8/

Sysinstall is copied from the bootimage to /stand during the
installation. So downloading the floppies and extracting sysinstall from
them would be an option.
But isn't is possible to use your old sysinstall?  Change in the
installation options menu the Release Name from 4.1-RELEASE to 4.7-RELEASE,
this should work.

Ralf
--

Arbeitskreis Kultur und Kommunikation / Universitaet Karlsruhe
Paulckeplatz 1        76131 Karlsruhe

Post by Steven G. Kar » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 02:26:11

>> Whoops.

>> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.7R/announce.html

> 4.7-STABLE/RELEASE sysinstall binary anywhere on there.  Lots telling me
> where/how I can install.  Nothing really on upgrading other than by floppy
> then to ftp/net install, etc.  However, I'm looking for the
> 4.7-STABLE/RELEASE sysinstall binary that I can download, then run to update
> my current 4.1-STABLE release via telnet.

It is on the boot.flp floppy.

Sysinstall is a beast of software.  I won't run sysinstall
over telnet.  Hitting the wrong key (because of terminal
emulation) could be a bad thing.

You want to use cvsup, ctm, or anoncvs to update the sources
on the 4.1 machine, and then build the new system from
source.

--
Steve
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/

Post by Steven G. Kar » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 02:29:41

>> >I'd like to do an upgrade to 4.7-STABLE, but can't find where
>> >to get the sysinstall binary, so that I can run it and do the
>> >upgrade on my 4.1-STABLE system.

>> If you are running stable I infer that you are running from
>> sources.  The you could just cvs new sources and compile.  Since
>> you do have a 4.1 you are going to have to get a new cvsup package
>> as the old one had a time stamp bug.

>> Or you could dl the floppy images and perform a binary install on
>> the base and then cvsup the rest after the upgrade.

> Problem is that I'm telnetting to the machine, which is 300 miles away... so
> doing a floppy install isn't an option.  Also, I've never used cvsup, so not
> sure how I would even do it.

Read chapter 21 of the Handbook.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edg...

Quote:> My understanding is that I can download the 4.7-STABLE sysinstall binary,
> run it, and do the upgrade from there.  But, I can't find the dern thing. 8/

It is on the boot.flp floppy.  I've already pointed you to
the release notes for 4.7.

--

Post by Bill Vermilli » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:56:10

>> >I'd like to do an upgrade to 4.7-STABLE, but can't find where
>> >to get the sysinstall binary, so that I can run it and do the
>> >upgrade on my 4.1-STABLE system.

>> If you are running stable I infer that you are running from
>> sources.  The you could just cvs new sources and compile.  Since
>> you do have a 4.1 you are going to have to get a new cvsup package
>> as the old one had a time stamp bug.
>> Or you could dl the floppy images and perform a binary install on
>> the base and then cvsup the rest after the upgrade.
>Problem is that I'm telnetting to the machine, which is 300
>miles away... so doing a floppy install isn't an option. Also,
>I've never used cvsup, so not sure how I would even do it.
>My understanding is that I can download the 4.7-STABLE
>sysinstall binary, run it, and do the upgrade from there. But, I
>can't find the dern thing. 8/

The problem with binary releases is that the binaries are under
'bin' in the release tree for your particular version , in this
case 4.7-RELEASE.   They are in 240K packages of bin.aa through
bin.fr.

As others said the systistall binary is on the floppy that is part
of the install set.  But those are compressed images that are
uncompressed as you boot them as I recall.  /stand/sysinstall is
900K long on my system here.

I'm not sure if there would be any other problems if you just
started with sysinstall binary or not.  If you really need that
I'd suggest finding a system with 4.7 on it, or installing it on
some machine or unused partition, and then copy that out to the far
machine.    Sounds spooky to me, especially if you have to telnet
in.  I don't know personally any other way to get the
/stand/sysinstall off of the floppies.  Maybe someone else has
a better idea.

For your case I really think the cvsup would be best.

You need to install it and that means you need the newest pkg
of that.  It's really pretty painless.  Install the package,
and use the without-cgi version.

From an old email:
==============

> I want to install cvsup to keep my ports tree up to date for fbsd 4.5.

> What is the best way to install ports on a remote machine - I do not have
> physical or terminal access?

# setenv PKG_PATH
ftp://ftp2.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable/packages

# pkg_add -v $PKG_PATH/net/cvsup-without-gui-16.1f.tgz

Edit yours ports-supfile and away you go.

============

Even though this was suggested to upgrade ports with cvsup
added you can cvsup the ports.   Using that you can install
the cvsup locally from the far machine so you don't even have to
download it to install it.

I then created a /usr/local/share/cvsup and put the example
files there and then edit them for my machine.  Test to see which
cvsup server is closest temporaly and use that and get the sources
and then go from there.

I can see that as your best way  - and I've done several remote
installs.  Be sure to follow UPDATING exactly and have someone near
the machine to be able to reboot it if your new kernel fails to
boot properly.

If that happens have them reboot, press any key at boot so they get
the guestion and boot kernel.old and try again. [this last line is
from memory and I think I have it right].

--

Post by Bill Vermilli » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:27:18

>>> If you are running stable I infer that you are running from
>>> sources.  The you could just cvs new sources and compile.  Since
>>> you do have a 4.1 you are going to have to get a new cvsup package
>>> as the old one had a time stamp bug.

>>> Or you could dl the floppy images and perform a binary install on
>>> the base and then cvsup the rest after the upgrade.

>>> --

>> Hi Bill,

>> Problem is that I'm telnetting to the machine, which is 300 miles away... so
>> doing a floppy install isn't an option.  Also, I've never used cvsup, so not
>> sure how I would even do it.
>Read the appropriate section in the handbook. Using cvsup and updating
>from sources isn't as hard as it seems to be.

>> My understanding is that I can download the 4.7-STABLE sysinstall binary,
>> run it, and do the upgrade from there.  But, I can't find the dern thing. 8/
>Sysinstall is copied from the bootimage to /stand during the
>installation. So downloading the floppies and extracting sysinstall from
>them would be an option.
>But isn't is possible to use your old sysinstall?  Change in the
>installation options menu the Release Name from 4.1-RELEASE to 4.7-RELEASE,
>this should work.

I suspect you would have problems from 4.1 to 4.7.  The release
notes specifically state DO NOT use a sysinstall from anything but
the version you are installing.  I'd feel more comforatble doing
that from a 4.6 to 4.7 for example but 4.1 was a long time ago.

--

Where to find 4.7-STABLE sysinstall?

Post by William Clard » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 07:26:53

Lee,

Back when 4.7 first came out (in the window between CVS lockdown and
the ISO images becoming available), I updated the source files on one
of my BSD boxes (a 233MHz Pentium w/ 64MB of DRAM) by installing
cvsup, copying the example supfiles to /root and then keying in:

gateserver# cvsup /root/stable-supfile
gateserver# make buildworld
gateserver# make buildkernel
gateserver# make installkernel
gateserver# reboot
gateserver# shutdown now
# make installworld
gateserver# reboot

When it rebooted, gateserver reported that running FreeBSD 4.7 (with
no reinstallation hassles, and all this before the official release of
FreeBSD 4.7). Scary, but ultimately painless. 8-)

Also, you should plan on installing  portupgrade, then updating all
the ports by running

gateserver# cvsup /root/ports-supfile
gateserver# pkgdb -F
gateserver# portupgrade -PaRr *

One key point with cvsup is to change the default host line in the
supfiles from

*default host=CHANGE_THIS.FreeBSD.org

to something akin to

*default host=cvsup10.FreeBSD.org

(cvsup10.FreeBSD.org is the cvsup mirror I use)

Bill Clardy

Post by Mark Weine » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:15:59

> But isn't is possible to use your old sysinstall?  Change in the
> installation options menu the Release Name from 4.1-RELEASE to 4.7-RELEASE,
> this should work.

 3 Upgrading FreeBSD

        [...]
        Important: These notes assume that you are using the version of
        sysinstall(8) supplied with the version of FreeBSD to which you
        intend to upgrade. Using a mismatched version of sysinstall(8)
        is almost guaranteed to cause problems and has been known to
        leave systems in an unusable state. The most commonly made
        mistake in this regard is the use of an old copy of
        sysinstall(8) from an existing installation to upgrade to a
        newer version of FreeBSD. This is not recommended.

Ciao, Mark

1. Upgrade via sysinstall within 4.7 stable

Hi!

I just tried to upgrade my FreeBSD 4.7-Release #6 to 4.7 #9,
because of the security problems in openssl.
So I started /stand/sysinstall and chose upgrade. And my "minimal" distribution was
updated. Now at booting the system wasnt able to find the new standard kernel and used my old one.
So "dmesg | grep BSD" showed me that 4.7 Version 6 was still runing.
I thought, ok, thats only because this information was compiled into the kernel from the old src.
But the rest of the system is indeed up to date. But where do I get an information from which
version for exmaple my
"bin" packet is from which I just updated via sysinstall?
The next step was to update the kernel sources via cvsup and recompile it.
After installing my new kernel dmesg told me that Im using 4.8 RC1.
But in the config file of cvsup I entere RELENG_4 which should download the most
up to date sources of 4.x stable and not a RC / Release candiate which might not be stable.
So why do I have sources form 4.8 RC1 and from which distribution are the packages I upgraded via
sysinstall?

I would be very happy if someone could give my an explanation on this whole FreeBSD updating
"problem" ....

Regards, Jochen

2. Video card for linux???

3. 4.7-RELEASE-p6 sysinstall

4. Is it *really* possible to PHYSICALLY locate a web server...???

5. COMPILING NOW: Re: unable to compile 1.4 on 4.7-STABLE...

6. problem compiling MGR...help!

7. How to install 4.7-stable?

8. SED and ECHO

9. 4.7 Stable Startup problems

10. dmesg in 4.7-STABLE

11. mozilla 1.1 under i386 stable release 4.7 freebsd

12. setting up Apache 1.3.27 with the ssl on Freebsd 4.7(stable)

13. unable to compile 1.4 on 4.7-STABLE...