NAS (Network Audio System) and audio support in general

NAS (Network Audio System) and audio support in general

Post by Andrew R. Ghal » Sun, 27 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I'm running FBSD2.1R (2.1.5R may be installed this month if time
allows), and I have a SoundBlaster with all the kernel support and
devices.

Tracker and s3mod play well, as does say from rsynth and I have
installed NAS.  The NAS documentation makes mention of a NAS SERVER
but I have no clue about such a beast.  Is this a piece of NCD
non-free code?  (not to denegrate NCD in any way).  Or am I just
missing something terribly obvious.

Also, what the heck do I use to get sound IN the machine?  Can I just
cat /dev/audio and get stuff?  What format is the stuff?  What about
the other snd devices?  Please tell me where I missed all this in TFM.

Andrew

1. NAS (Network Audio System) as a kernel module?

Hi all,

I'm using NAS (Network Audio System) to output sound from
Linux boxes to NCD X-Terminals.
The problem with NAS is, that there are only few programs
that support sound output via NAS. Most applications just
use the local /dev/audio (/dev/dsp etc.).
(I'm looking for a mp3-player that supports NAS. Does anyone
know one?)

IF there was kind of a kernel module that works like
a soundcard driver (and supplies /dev/audio, maybe
/dev/mixer and so on), but redirects output to a NAS server
THEN almost all available programs that output sound could use NAS.

Is this a good idea? Or are there other (better) approaches?
Maybe someone has implemented this already?
If not, any volunteers? ;-)

I welcome any hints and comments,

- Roy

 In a world without fences and walls
 who needs gates and windows?

2. Windows clients, Samba server and generic postscript printer.

3. Setting up Network Audio System (NAS)

4. Services I want to kill

5. Network Audio System (NAS) on 2.1.5R

6. two problems using EXT3 htrees

7. Audio mixer for /dev/audio or USB audio?

8. ? sendmail or mmdf ?

9. Audio-card: Crystal PnP Audio System CODEC

10. Q: NAS and /dev/audio collision ...

11. NAS and /dev/audio busy!!!!!

12. video/audio plug-ins for Netscape 4.03 browser

13. Turbochannel system audio support in Multimedia extensions