PPP user access: still denied

Post by INTER-Re » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

after reading ppp man page and manual pages, I have set all (I thought!)
the correct stuff... and still when my modem finishes the handshake, it
dies with an error message.

So:

/etc/ppp/ppp.conf

has the entry:

# I trust user brian to run ppp, so this goes in the `default' section:
#
    allow user my_user
#
# But label `internet' contains passwords that even brian can't have, so
# I empty out the user access list in that section so that only root can
# have access:
#
    allow users my_user

the /etc/group

has

dialer:*:68:my_user
network:*:69:my_user

/usr/sbin/

looks like this:

-r-sr-xr--   1 root  network  193972 Feb 15  1999 ppp
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel      8632 Feb 15  1999 pppctl
-r-sr-xr-x   1 root  wheel     85088 Feb 15  1999 pppd

What is missing?
Of course, every thing is OK with the root...
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marc Andre Paquin

PPP user access: still denied

Post by Peter Jone » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello,

> after reading ppp man page and manual pages, I have set all (I
thought!)
> the correct stuff... and still when my modem finishes the handshake,
it
> dies with an error message.

What is the error message?

Quote:

> So:

> /etc/ppp/ppp.conf

> has the entry:

> # I trust user brian to run ppp, so this goes in the `default'
section:
> #
>     allow user my_user
> #
> # But label `internet' contains passwords that even brian can't have,
so
> # I empty out the user access list in that section so that only root
can
> # have access:
> #
>     allow users my_user

> the /etc/group

> has

> dialer:*:68:my_user
> network:*:69:my_user

> /usr/sbin/

> looks like this:

> -r-sr-xr--   1 root  network  193972 Feb 15  1999 ppp
> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel      8632 Feb 15  1999 pppctl
> -r-sr-xr-x   1 root  wheel     85088 Feb 15  1999 pppd

> What is missing?
> Of course, every thing is OK with the root...
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Marc Andre Paquin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by INTER-Re » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> > Hello,

> > after reading ppp man page and manual pages, I have set all (I
> thought!)
> > the correct stuff... and still when my modem finishes the handshake,
> it
> > dies with an error message.

> What is the error message?

With KDE:

The pppd daemon died unexpectedly!
my_box pppd[495]: Can't open options file /etc/ppp/options: No such file
or directory

In Xterm:

ppp my_isp
isp: User access denied

Since that user can su root, an xterm window with root will start ppp
with success!!!

Does this help to understand?

Thanks
Marc

Quote:

> > So:

> > /etc/ppp/ppp.conf

> > has the entry:

> > # I trust user brian to run ppp, so this goes in the `default'
> section:
> > #
> >     allow user my_user
> > #
> > # But label `internet' contains passwords that even brian can't have,
> so
> > # I empty out the user access list in that section so that only root
> can
> > # have access:
> > #
> >     allow users my_user

> > the /etc/group

> > has

> > dialer:*:68:my_user
> > network:*:69:my_user

> > /usr/sbin/

> > looks like this:

> > -r-sr-xr--   1 root  network  193972 Feb 15  1999 ppp
> > -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel      8632 Feb 15  1999 pppctl
> > -r-sr-xr-x   1 root  wheel     85088 Feb 15  1999 pppd

> > What is missing?
> > Of course, every thing is OK with the root...
> > --
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Marc Andre Paquin

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

PPP user access: still denied

Post by Peter Jone » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

[snip snip]

Quote:> ppp my_isp
> isp: User access denied

> Since that user can su root, an xterm window with root will start ppp
> with success!!!

> Does this help to understand?

> Thanks
> Marc

[snip snip]

Try to add the allow users to the default label....

default:
 allow users *

See if that "*" let's him in.

-- Peter

Post by INTER-Re » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> [snip snip]

> > ppp my_isp
> > isp: User access denied

> > Since that user can su root, an xterm window with root will start ppp
> > with success!!!

> > Does this help to understand?

> > Thanks
> > Marc

> [snip snip]

> Try to add the allow users to the default label....

> default:
>  allow users *

> See if that "*" let's him in.

> -- Peter

No... that did not work!

I guess it's one of those things...
I don't know where to go from here!

Any ideas?
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marc Andre Paquin

Post by Peter Jone » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> > [snip snip]

> > > ppp my_isp
> > > isp: User access denied

> > > Since that user can su root, an xterm window with root will start
ppp
> > > with success!!!

> > > Does this help to understand?

> > > Thanks
> > > Marc

> > [snip snip]

> > Try to add the allow users to the default label....

> > default:
> >  allow users *

> > See if that "*" let's him in.

> > -- Peter

> No... that did not work!

> I guess it's one of those things...
> I don't know where to go from here!

> Any ideas?
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Marc Andre Paquin

The only thing that I can think of is file permissions.

/usr/sbin/ppp should be 4554 owner root group network
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf should be 644 owner root group network

You either have to have the ppp 'user' in the network group or chgmod on
/usr/sbin/ppp to 4555

Other than that, this is way above my head.

-- Peter

Post by MeatHea » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> > > [snip snip]

> ppp

> > > [snip snip]

> > > Try to add the allow users to the default label....

> > > default:
> > >  allow users *

> > > See if that "*" let's him in.

> > > -- Peter

> > No... that did not work!

> > I guess it's one of those things...
> > I don't know where to go from here!

> > Any ideas?
> > --
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Marc Andre Paquin

> The only thing that I can think of is file permissions.

> /usr/sbin/ppp should be 4554 owner root group network
> /etc/ppp/ppp.conf should be 644 owner root group network

> You either have to have the ppp 'user' in the network group or chgmod on
> /usr/sbin/ppp to 4555

> Other than that, this is way above my head.

> -- Peter

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Yes it is file permissions.  The user must be a member of the network group,
and listed on the allow users line.  Hope this helps.  I beleive it was all in the
man page as that is how I figured it out.

MeatHead

1. FTP, 530 User joe access denied...

I've had ftp running successfully on several versions of linux. Now,
however, I've installed Yggdrasil's Fall 95 CD Plug & Play linux 1.2.13
and ftp won't work. It has to be a simple fix, isn't it always. I bought
2 copies of the Yggdrasil cd's and both installations act the same.

When I ftp between my boxes I get the following session:

#ftp home
Connected to home.net
220 home FTP server (Version wu-2.3(51) Wed Jul 26 10:48:52 PDT 1995) ready.
Name (home:root): joe
530 User joe access denied...
Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp>

Any user besides joe acts the same. The passwd file and accounts work for
telnetting to and from them. I never even get asked for a password when ftping
but just get the 530 User joe access denied... message. The passwd file
points me to the /home/joe directory and shell /bin/sh and sh is linked
to /bin/bash -- is there an authorization file or shell I need to change?

2. HP lp with print server

3. Q: why does ftp say "530 user akelly access denied..."

4. video4linux card and mac compatible

5. MySql - "Access denied for user"

6. permanent assigning ip-arp

7. How can I denied users to access my server using SSH?

8. Game mode indeterminate

9. FTP access denied for all users. Why?

10. Access denied for remote users

11. ftp: user access denied?

12. PPP - sh: /etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer: Permission denied HELP!

13. Access to /dev denied as user... :(