Any "ready-to-run" projects for "servers" available?

Any "ready-to-run" projects for "servers" available?

Post by JoeBlo » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:36:07

Hi,

I'm just curious about this, since I already run a
FreeBSD firewall/server, but woudl be interested in
giving friends/etc. a "server" to do all of this...

Say I have an extra machine.  Is there a "ready-to-
run" server type project available (*BSD preferred,
but Linux OK)?  I'm thinking of something like the
Linux Router Project, except targeted for home/small
biz "appliance" use (ie. Samba, mail, webadmin etc.).

I know it's not that hard to configured everything,
but I'm just curious if anyone has gone to the effort
to create a "product" that does all of this with
results similar to the Cobalt type machines.  I figure
that if someone already has everything ready to install
from a single CD, with web-admin, etc. to create a
"network appliance" why reinvent the wheel?

Anyway, I did some googling, but the terms for a project
like this (ie. linux/freebsd server iso download)
results in nothing similar to this.

Thanks,
Mike

Post by FreeBSD/Ghoste » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:03:57

> Say I have an extra machine.  Is there a "ready-to-
> run" server type project available (*BSD preferred,
> but Linux OK)?  I'm thinking of something like the
> Linux Router Project, except targeted for home/small
> biz "appliance" use (ie. Samba, mail, webadmin etc.).

        Have you tried some of the commercial consultancies
        listed on the FreeBSD website. They're likely to have
        developed single cd 'turnkey' systems such as you
        describe.

--
Very few profundities can be expressed in less than 80 characters.

Any "ready-to-run" projects for "servers" available?

Post by JoeBlo » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:25:32

Quote:>         Have you tried some of the commercial consultancies
>         listed on the FreeBSD website. They're likely to have
>         developed single cd 'turnkey' systems such as you
>         describe.

No, I've not looked into any of those.  I'll take a
look and see what you're referring to, but I suspect
that these are "paid-for" packages since they are
from consultancies.  I was hoping to find some kind
of freebie system (again, similar to the LRP but
for a server instead of a router) since I want to
be able to help friends easily build servers for
their home networks, and not pay hundreds/thousands
for them.

I figure that with all of the stuff floating around
out there, someone has to have made a distro that
fills this kind of role (again, I prefer *BSD but
Linux is OK also).

Thanks,
Mike